JL Audio Fathom

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diamonds,

I was at a local dealer yesterday that has both the Gotham (2) and Fathom (4)! He said that he has heard a difference with his store demo units after the Fathom broke in after a few days of regular playing (break in). He stated it opened up more and became quicker. I'm amazed at how fast this woofer is already. The bass is tight and powerful and low when it's on the recording. I think my REL Stentor is going bye,bye! :bowdown:

The Gotham is HUGE by the way! I'm sure that they will fill any room with the right amount of low end. He had a huge room and it filled the room beautifully. The demo used was Phantom of the Opera audition scene. I'm working on a deal for dual fathoms. There goes my tax return.

They are stinking amazing! My room is pretty large so it may be able to handle two. My sons room is not big enough to handle to so he gets just the one.

I am so impressed. I really can't believe it.

Well, I was just going to post a smiley, but I need more text. So, for some filler, I did mention it had the best transients I've ever heard and that you would not be disappointed at all, heh. Can't wait to see what you yourself will end up with!

:band:

They are stinking amazing! My room is pretty large so it may be able to handle two. My sons room is not big enough to handle to so he gets just the one.

I am so impressed. I really can't believe it.

How big is your room? My room is 20'x15'. That's why I think dual Fathoms should suffice. The frugal part of my mind says that Fathoms will be fine.The little kid in me says go for broke and buy the Gotham!:eek:

I hope in about a week and a half I'll be as happy as you will be?

OK....we replaced the Wilson WATCHDOG in our "WOW Room" at the store with the Fathom 113.....and WOWOWOWOWOW. The Wilson is a great sub....and I think we are not giving it as much power as it needs (Classe CAM400), but this JL gets it ON.....I was already impressed with it on music when it was in the other room....now having had some time to view some movie clips.....I am even more impressed with this thing. The room is roughly 17x28x10....and the single F113 moves enough air that it shakes your pants and hits you in the chest no matter where you are in the room.....I cant imagine needing more than one of these beasts....let alone the insane Gotham. If only I had a 3400W amp to dick on the Wilson sub to compete on more fair ground. ;)

OK....we replaced the Wilson WATCHDOG in our "WOW Room" at the store with the Fathom 113.....and WOWOWOWOWOW. The Wilson is a great sub....and I think we are not giving it as much power as it needs (Classe CAM400), but this JL gets it ON.....I was already impressed with it on music when it was in the other room....now having had some time to view some movie clips.....I am even more impressed with this thing. The room is roughly 17x28x10....and the single F113 moves enough air that it shakes your pants and hits you in the chest no matter where you are in the room.....I cant imagine needing more than one of these beasts....let alone the insane Gotham. If only I had a 3400W amp to dick on the Wilson sub to compete on more fair ground. ;)

From what my son is telling me it looks like 1 F113 will work for my room. Especially the way my room is set up. I can put the sub directly between my two speakers and the Gotham may be overkill. Decisions...Decisions.

The wait is killing me!

Sitting here typing and pacing the floor while waiting for the dealer to drop off my Fathoms any minute now! :D

Wow, two of them. :bowdown:

I've only got one actually working now. I had to order an additional cable for the second sub. These things are solid. I quickly put in Master and Commander the "under attack" scene and all I can say is WOW! I could feel the percussion as the guns fired! I may have it a little hot right now although the APO/calibrate light stayed solid after the second attempt. My REL never sounded this tight.

1dmk1273si4.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet subs all.. dual Fathoms is something quite enviable. Me likey.

You visit Oneobgyn, Statman? I think he has the Gotham right?

Sweet subs all.. dual Fathoms is something quite enviable. Me likey.

You visit Oneobgyn, Statman? I think he has the Gotham right?

Not yet Joey. I talked to him several times by phone before I bought them. They are having their BAAS meeting to show off Oneobgyn's Gotham! I wish I were closer.:(

Vern

Not yet Joey. I talked to him several times by phone before I bought them. They are having their BAAS meeting to show off Oneobgyn's Gotham! I wish I were closer.:(

Vern

Congrats on the 2 Fathoms! They are awesome aren't they???

Congrats on the 2 Fathoms! They are awesome aren't they???

Thanks,

I'm glad this post was started, it helped push me to do it! I am still playing disc after disc and sitting in my chair amazed at how articulate and quick they are. Also how low they can play helps.;)

I am also impressed with the woofer itself. By that I mean the stiff cone and large surround. I now know why it has 4" of excursion. :D

Wow!

I have both subs up and running, what a difference in room response with two subs. I of course played my sweep test tone disc and the room does "move air" now on the extreme low notes.:D Will do movies tonight just enjoying music for now.

I have both subs up and running, what a difference in room response with two subs. I of course played my sweep test tone disc and the room does "move air" now on the extreme low notes.:D Will do movies tonight just enjoying music for now.

Where are you located? I want to know if I should hold onto something tonight.... :)

Another update

Okay round two. I went thru the required demo discs of both music and movies. If there are sub bass notes in the recording the Fathoms will reproduce them easily. I still need to play with crossover points, fine adjusting the master level and if needed phasing to dial it in correctly. I now know that two Fathom 113's are just right for my 20x15ft room. I definitely found every loose item nearby. I'm still grinning ear to ear, these subwoofers really have the theater room and house shaking. I stood outside listening to a tone sweep disc and watched the front door and windows vibrate! So this is what a solid low end is supposed to sound like. :bowdown:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back