JL Audio Fathom

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamonds

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was thinking of trying the JL Audio Fathom subs. One or two for my house and one for my sons.

I heard they were great and I had a chance to listen to them as well and guess what, they were great.

Does anyone have any personal experiences with them???

Thanks!
D

No personal experience with the fathom yet, but if your looking to adopt another son just let me know ;)

Great subs, I heartily recommend them. No hi-level inputs, just in case you wanted that. The on/off switch is a bit flimsier than I would hope for; I always manually turn it on for HT and off for 2-ch. (I think I need some new equipment to help me out? heh).

It's a very gorgeous and solidly built sub. Vertical heat sinks on the back, balanced inputs. Heavy. Insane excursion, extremely linear. I only got to audition them mated with Dynaudios, Contours, and Evidences. In retrospect I just might have gone overkill for an HT sub, but I was originally planning on mating these with Vantages. Thing is, I got Summits! (mostly to blame, er thank, Kruppy and Joey!). I lovingly blame you guys! :p

The JL subs easily did sound best during my auditions. However, I know that the room acoustics, setup, placement, etc are probably more important than the unit being tested. Still, what can a neophyte do but trust his ears? I do have a few degrees in classical music, and tested mostly classical music, but some jazz and rock on it as well. Oh yes, the transients were the best I've ever heard.

During the audition with the Contours, the salesman seemed to have it running too hot for my tastes. I was thinking at the time that he must be doing so out of salesmanship or something. Anyways, with what I found to be localization issues, I immediately walked up and turned the gain down a bit. Then I listened for a bit nearfield, but mostly from the primary listening position. However, since this time, I have learned that many of us have never heard truly "flat" and "realistic" bass levels before, and perhaps I thought this out of a lack of experience.

The thing is extremely powerful, but this is my first hi-end sub. It once knocked over my fresco-i center channel, that now has a little spot on the grille that is scuffed. (A 1-2 mm hole at the edge). Yikes! Suffice it to say, the center is now more securely placed, and I check if its moved from its position perhaps more frequently than I care to admit! (I guess I need some rubber feet, but they have to be very thin, as the display is at the edge of the speaker already.

As I do turn it on/off manually all the time, the insane excursion actually can be a distraction from a movie enjoyed during the daytime. Like, really insane. :eek:

The ARO does help out, but I am sure better stuff would help out more, ie SMS-1, Audyssey, other EQ devices. Not to mention bass traps, etc. The ARO test tones will find anything loose in the room, check that, in the house. I honestly thought that someone was using a jackhammer outside at night during my setup, and I was a bit annoyed to say the least. I re-ran the test, and realized it was the kitchen window! :rolleyes:

Mine is in matte finish, to save a bit of money. I got it for $2500, but I am afraid the prices have gone up significantly since last May. $3k would be my guess. The matte looks great, but it wouldn't surprise me if you went for the gloss... :)

Great subs, I heartily recommend them. No hi-level inputs, just in case you wanted that. The on/off switch is a bit flimsier than I would hope for; I always manually turn it on for HT and off for 2-ch. (I think I need some new equipment to help me out? heh).

It's a very gorgeous and solidly built sub. Vertical heat sinks on the back, balanced inputs. Heavy. Insane excursion, extremely linear. I only got to audition them mated with Dynaudios, Contours, and Evidences. In retrospect I just might have gone overkill for an HT sub, but I was originally planning on mating these with Vantages. Thing is, I got Summits! (mostly to blame, er thank, Kruppy and Joey!). I lovingly blame you guys! :p

The JL subs easily did sound best during my auditions. However, I know that the room acoustics, setup, placement, etc are probably more important than the unit being tested. Still, what can a neophyte do but trust his ears? I do have a few degrees in classical music, and tested mostly classical music, but some jazz and rock on it as well. Oh yes, the transients were the best I've ever heard.

During the audition with the Contours, the salesman seemed to have it running too hot for my tastes. I was thinking at the time that he must be doing so out of salesmanship or something. Anyways, with what I found to be localization issues, I immediately walked up and turned the gain down a bit. Then I listened for a bit nearfield, but mostly from the primary listening position. However, since this time, I have learned that many of us have never heard truly "flat" and "realistic" bass levels before, and perhaps I thought this out of a lack of experience.

The thing is extremely powerful, but this is my first hi-end sub. It once knocked over my fresco-i center channel, that now has a little spot on the grille that is scuffed. (A 1-2 mm hole at the edge). Yikes! Suffice it to say, the center is now more securely placed, and I check if its moved from its position perhaps more frequently than I care to admit! (I guess I need some rubber feet, but they have to be very thin, as the display is at the edge of the speaker already.

As I do turn it on/off manually all the time, the insane excursion actually can be a distraction from a movie enjoyed during the daytime. Like, really insane. :eek:

The ARO does help out, but I am sure better stuff would help out more, ie SMS-1, Audyssey, other EQ devices. Not to mention bass traps, etc. The ARO test tones will find anything loose in the room, check that, in the house. I honestly thought that someone was using a jackhammer outside at night during my setup, and I was a bit annoyed to say the least. I re-ran the test, and realized it was the kitchen window! :rolleyes:

Mine is in matte finish, to save a bit of money. I got it for $2500, but I am afraid the prices have gone up significantly since last May. $3k would be my guess. The matte looks great, but it wouldn't surprise me if you went for the gloss... :)

This is great! I really appreciate it!

The new prices are 2800 for the 12 and 3500 for the 13.

Yes I will be going with the high gloss.

This is great! I really appreciate it!

The new prices are 2800 for the 12 and 3500 for the 13.

Yes I will be going with the high gloss.

Hey, you are welcome! I have the 13".

FWIW, Manville Smith of JL at AVS says that the 12" has better linearity much further up in frequency than the 13"... implying that the F112 is a great match with many bookshelves. Of course, I seriously doubt that this a great concern to you, just fyi. He says that the F112 is only slightly outperformed by the F113 down low, and as such, is not such a bad compromise at all for bookshelf owners.

While I swear I thought I read that the Gotham had a bit more of that "something special" than two stacked F113s, it appears that the consensus is that multiple F113s are better than 1 or 2 Gothams for practical reasons.

Just for kicks and giggles, I once read a CI guy claiming he had installed a Gotham at every one of the 7 channels of an HT system belonging to a pro basketball player. Holy Moly, I am not sure whether to disbelieve that or not. LOL. cheers!

Last edited:
I ordered a JL Fathom f113. It should be here in a couple weeks. I am going to put this on my sons system to see how it does with his new Dali Helicon 800 MK2s which should also be here in a couple of weeks. I guess my truck will be full that weekend. If I like the results I am going to put a Gotham on my system. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Thanks to JK319. He helped a lot!!!

I am very glad to have been of help. I don't get too many opportunities to be of help with so many knowledgable folks on these boards! haha

I wish I could be your guinea pig for future purchases, lol. You guys will not be disappointed. At all. The Gotham also truly raises the bar in the sexy looks department, which is not an easy thing to do when considering the Fathom.

I'd love to hear some Dali Helicons, or any Dali. I've only heard excellent things said about them.

I am very glad to have been of help. I don't get too many opportunities to be of help with so many knowledgable folks on these boards! haha

I wish I could be your guinea pig for future purchases, lol. You guys will not be disappointed. At all. The Gotham also truly raises the bar in the sexy looks department, which is not an easy thing to do when considering the Fathom.

I'd love to hear some Dali Helicons, or any Dali. I've only heard excellent things said about them.

Come to Arizona and I will let you audition. I will buy the beer!

Come to Arizona and I will let you audition. I will buy the beer!

WOO HOO! Thanks for the invite!! Been to Tucson two or three times, the last time... was... 4 years ago?

I was also invited to judge a music performance competition there at U of A on a 5 person panel. Delegated some money to young starving musicians :D. That was a little more than a decade ago...

WOO HOO! Thanks for the invite!! Been to Tucson two or three times, the last time... was... 4 years ago?

I was also invited to judge a music performance competition there at U of A on a 5 person panel. Delegated some money to young starving musicians :D. That was a little more than a decade ago...

My son went to UofA for what seemed like a really long time. :D Come back to Tucson and you can hear the Dali's rocking and rolling. I may have a Gothem by then we shall see how the Fathom goes.

I will up the ante! I will buy the beer, vodka, wine (or anything else you like) + food. Come on down.

Off subject Neil (NSGARCH fellow ML member) lives in Tucson and we have yet to meet up. Neil we need to do this some time soon!! The same deal goes for you Neil.

The JL Audio F113 sub was delivered today and I am heading up to Scottsdale on Sunday with a new pair of Dali Helicon 800 MK2 speakers. I will give you my impression of the new sub compared to James that was just sold.

Looking forward to your opinion about it. I'm trying to save for dual F113's;)

Good timing! We had the JL rep in the store today and he left a F113 for us to play with. I had only a few minutes to spend with it, and I left very impressed. I didnt tweak with the controls or placement at all. Just put in some tunes and listened for a bit. My early impressions are that it is a very musical sub that can belt out the low and loud stuff just as well. Its fast, tonally accurate, and it moves a buttload of air. It easily sounded better than the B&W ASW8x5 we have next to it in this room. It sounded similar to what I recollect the ML Descent sounded like when we had it in the same room. But I think the JL has bit more "oomph" down low....likey due to the massive amount of air it can move (4"-ish of excursion?).....I look forward to your review as well. Of all the subs I could purchase, this one might be at the top of the list for now....I still want to listen to a Zu Method though....

Dennis,

You got a very enviable sub there... a great work of current audio technology! No doubt, the JL series is very highly acclaimed, I would be surprised if you weren't satisfied with it once you give us your feedback.

I know several audiophiles who own the sub, one of whom has dual Gothams. Sick!

We will try it in my sons system first. If it is great than we will try two of them or a Gothem in my system. Can't wait until Sunday!

Pictures of Fathom and new Dali Helicon 800 MK2. Review to come.

Attachments

• 1202689247[3].jpg
    1202689247[3].jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 3,438
  • 1202689249[2].jpg
    1202689249[2].jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,917
VERY nice! How do those Dali Helicon sound compare to ML's?

I had Martin Logan Summits in this room for a few months. I prefer the Dali speakers in this room to the Summits. They seem more live to me in this room.

Ok ok he is my review it probably won't be very well written or informative -

I will say the JL Audio Fathom Sub is easily the best sub I have ever heard. It totally changed the way my sons system sounds. I have never heard a sub go lower or be as fast as the JL. There is a whole new dimension to the music that was not there before (mind you he had a good James EMB-12 Sub). The drums and kick drum are exactly where they should be and they sound closer to the way live music sounds. I have not been blown away by a product in a long time but I am blown away by how good the JL sub is. I was only up there for one day and I think I am going to head back up next weekend to give another listen and hopefully write a better review after everything is a little more broken in.

Other positives:
1. A snap to set up the Auto Room Correction works like a charm
2. It is beautiful and packaged as well as I have seen

Negatives:
1. HEAVY - 160lbs with the box.

I am sold! I am going to order one for myself or maybe 2 not sure yet. I am also considering the Gotham. We will see...More review to come...

Last edited:
Diamonds,

I was at a local dealer yesterday that has both the Gotham (2) and Fathom (4)! He said that he has heard a difference with his store demo units after the Fathom broke in after a few days of regular playing (break in). He stated it opened up more and became quicker. I'm amazed at how fast this woofer is already. The bass is tight and powerful and low when it's on the recording. I think my REL Stentor is going bye,bye! :bowdown:

The Gotham is HUGE by the way! I'm sure that they will fill any room with the right amount of low end. He had a huge room and it filled the room beautifully. The demo used was Phantom of the Opera audition scene. I'm working on a deal for dual fathoms. There goes my tax return.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back