Jeff Rowland or McIntosh?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BCM,I think you're making a mistake by taking the output of one preamp and connecting it to the input of another preamp. I'm just thinking this through and not talking down to you and welcome anyone's comments. Here's my thinking...The preamp takes a line level signal and amplifies it to enough voltage to be of use to an amp. If you connect one preamp to another, I think you are inputting more than line level into that second preamp (unless you have the first preamp's volume completely attenuated and what would be the point of that?), you're actually inputting into the second preamp the level needed by the amplifier portion and therefore are you are overdriving the second preamp it. This could explain the bad sound. Have you tried running both amps with just the preamp of the Jolida, yet?
If a preamp has a tape output, one can usually use that to feed a line level input on another preamp.

Listening to the system with Rotel and JR right now with some Monk and Coltrane. I think you guys was right. There was no need to bi-amp to the Jolida. The JR had plenty of clarity and detail as well as good balance on it's own. I guess at this rate, the Jolida might go on the sales block pretty soon. Can't wait until the Cary arrive to re-introduce a tube back into the system.

Maybe this have been cover extensively, but what would you guys recommend as reference CDs that can demonstrate the essence of the ML? Or maybe I need to start a new thread on this?

I'd consider the lower cost amp and an upgrade to your source (turntable or CD player).

It's all about balance with funds avaliable.

Tubes, love them.

Latest posts

Back