Jazz Vocals - Sony Holland

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhom

Reaction score
Hi All,

If you like female jazz vocalists, I have been enjoying a new-to-me CD from an artist that I had not heard of before, Sony Holland. The CD is titled, "Out of This World" on Van Ness Records, ASIN B000JLQS0G.

Terrific recording, small ensemble. Great bass lines, once I got my separate subwoofer dialed in. Ms Holland has a very lovely voice. Along with Jane Monheit and Diana Krall, we are witnessing some great new jazz talent, here.

Enjoy!:music:

Rick

Hi Rick,

Some of my favorite music is jazz with female vocals. What type of jazz is it?
I trust it's not the standard "classics".

If you might compare her to other artists like Patricia Barber or Claire Martin, assuming you are familar with these two gifted singers, that would help me immensely.

Appreciate your feedback.

GG

FWIW, the mentioned album is on iTunes, so you can preview cuts there. At first glance, it is basically covers of classics, stuff like Old Devil Moon by Sinatra, In a Sentimental Mood by Ellington, etc., but she does have an excellent voice. It sounds well-recorded even over my crappy computer speakers, so I might have to pick up a copy to see what it sounds like "for real" :).

I'd say different genre than Barber et al.

Hi Gordon,

Definitely not the same genre as Patricia Barber or Claire Martin. More in the style of Diana Krall, more of a contemporary presentation. Beautiful voice, though.

Rick

Latest posts

Back