Is the mobile Audyssey Multi EQ app worthwhile?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I've had Audyssey for a long time, but was never aware of the app. I see there's one available for my Marantz SR 8012.
Does it allow you to edit settings made by running Audyssey through the receiver, or do you have to run it all again using the app? I saw one review say that you have to run it again.
Quite a few reviewers say that its buggy. Since it's $20, I figured I'd ask before buying it.
Screenshot_20230708-030726_Google Play Store.jpg

You will need to recalibrate.

Offers improved control over settings, I think is a no-brainer. Most importantly you will see what Audyssey is trying to do and probably you will find some weird things. You can also experiment with limiting corrections, removing BBC dip etc ...

Last edited:
You will need to recalibrate.

Offers improved control over settings, I think is a no-brainer. Most importantly you will see what Audyssey is trying to do and probably you will find some weird things. You can also experiment with limiting corrections, removing BBC dip etc ...
Ok, thanks. That was my thought too. After reading some of the reviews it was sounding like the app doesn't work very well. That had me concerned. Lots of reports of the calibration not saving, with a message that says its corrupt. Others saying the mobile device disconnects from the receiver.

I may just give it a try. Have you had these problems, and how prevalent are they?

I'm guessing you still use the same Audyssey microphone and the mobile device just acts as a control, or do.you end up using the microphone on your mobile device( in my case a phone).

"I'm guessing you still use the same Audyssey microphone and the mobile device just acts as a control." This is correct. I think it is worth the 20 bucks. I've used the app since it was first released with no problems with my Marantz 8805. As mentioned, it allows you to fine tune the corrections.

Yes for one thing it allows you to disable midrange compensation. And you can choose from two different curves or customize it. Plus you can see the measurements and result with filters applied which is extremely helpful. I’ve measured before and after using REW and the graphs shown in the app are quite accurate.

I use it on my iPad instead of phone. I think it’s much better having more screen space to view the charts etc.

Oh yeah another helpful functionality is you can save many different measurements and upload whichever you choose to your receiver. Great if you’re tying out different speakers etc.

Yes for one thing it allows you to disable midrange compensation. And you can choose from two different curves or customize it. Plus you can see the measurements and result with filters applied which is extremely helpful. I’ve measured before and after using REW and the graphs shown in the app are quite accurate.

I use it on my iPad instead of phone. I think it’s much better having more screen space to view the charts etc.

Oh yeah another helpful functionality is you can save many different measurements and upload whichever you choose to your receiver. Great if you’re tying out different speakers etc.
I guess there isn't a windows version so that you can use a laptop? Using a small screen on my phone does worry me.

Looks like the windows version uses a special microphone and calibrates with a serial # like the PBK does.
"Use an individually calibrated Audyssey Microphone (purchased separately) with unique calibration file downloaded in MultEQ-X"

I'm seeing in reviews people mentioning $200 cost, but not sure why. I'm looking at this on my android phone so maybe it's not showing price? My phone says it's free.

The Windows application is an entirely different thing. It expands what you can do in the app. I haven't used it, as I don't think in my particular scenario it's worth it. I do use the app a lot. It's worth the $20. Uses the standard mic with the AVR. Gives you a lot more control, and better, the ability to make many different setups and upload at will. Do note, the app can be used with as many different systems as you have (I have 3). The Windows Application is locked to one receiver. Not transferable.

The Windows application is an entirely different thing. It expands what you can do in the app. I haven't used it, as I don't think in my particular scenario it's worth it. I do use the app a lot. It's worth the $20. Uses the standard mic with the AVR. Gives you a lot more control, and better, the ability to make many different setups and upload at will. Do note, the app can be used with as many different systems as you have (I have 3). The Windows Application is locked to one receiver. Not transferable.
Oh wow, locked to one? That's not really a problem for me. I'm assuming that the license can be taken off a receiver and then added to another one if you upgrade later? I'll only use on one.

Thanks for that information. It appears the license is permanently stuck to that receiver. Think I'll pass on that since it is $200.

https://avgadgets.com/audyssey-multeq-x-what-you-need-to-know/
yes, there has been quite some discontent about this moemtization model. You can find sale for 149 periodically.

I have used this windows app on Denon X8500 and it brings everything to whole new level - allowing you to fine tune your sytem. LOT of new options, REW data imports, etc

It makes sense only if you want to get serious about DRC, squeeze last drop and if you have some Atmos system. For 5.1 or 7.1 and “it’s good enough” you are good with 20 usd app. I would say - no app - 20% of the potential, 20 USD app - 80% , windows app 100%.

yes, there has been quite some discontent about this moemtization model. You can find sale for 149 periodically.

I have used this windows app on Denon X8500 and it brings everything to whole new level - allowing you to fine tune your sytem. LOT of new options, REW data imports, etc

It makes sense only if you want to get serious about DRC, squeeze last drop and if you have some Atmos system. For 5.1 or 7.1 and “it’s good enough” you are good with 20 usd app. I would say - no app - 20% of the potential, 20 USD app - 80% , windows app 100%.
With my knowledge level now, the android app is plenty. Just sucks for me trying to do it on a small phone. I did see that it's possible to emulate android on a windows pc and then use the simple app on it.
I've got options.
I'll probably just eventually get the app on my phone. We have an old Amazon tablet but it's crappy.

Phone will be pain. Ipad is on the edge, if you want to do anything like target curve, unless you are diamonds cutter or watchmaker.

Phone will be pain. Ipad is on the edge, if you want to do anything like target curve, unless you are diamonds cutter or watchmaker.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm not gonna go out and buy a new tablet though just for this. Maybe the old Amazon Kindle Fire will work ok.

Back