Is it wrong to want more than 1 system?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man... you guys gotta tell me, how do we live with only 1 sound? Everytime I hear those Sonus Faber Cremonas, I just want to bring them home... in fact, since clinic let out early today, I'm going to head back to the dealer to take in another listen.... :) :D .

Anyone here have thoughts about a second system or "cheating" from ML?

I'm sure a lot of us are guilty one way or another..... hehehhehe.... :p.

Sure as heck.. I am.

I am not sure if "relationship/marriage type" of cheating is a proper analogy to experiencing enjoyment of brands. I can see myself being emotionally involved with more than one brand. A lot of it depends on the mood and needs at the time. Although I am loyal to Coke, I can enjoy a Pepsi if I am looking for a sugar rush. Likewise, a BMW die hard can enjoy Cadillac's luxurious ride once in a while or for certain purposes.

What about the Sonus Faber do you like? Is it during certain moods? For certain types of music? Certain recordings? Are the Logans not capable of delivering it?

Also, how do you know you are hearing only the speakers and not artifacts of amps, sources, or even the euphonics of the power cords of the components? You may have to buy the whole package the dealer has set up, not just the speakers alone.

I personally enjoyed the warmth of a system Sonus Faber were a part of, but have not listened to them enough to say this was solely due to the speakers.

What about the Sonus Faber do you like? Is it during certain moods? For certain types of music? Certain recordings? Are the Logans not capable of delivering it?

Also, how do you know you are hearing only the speakers and not artifacts of amps, sources, or even the euphonics of the power cords of the components? You may have to buy the whole package the dealer has set up, not just the speakers alone.

I personally enjoyed the warmth of a system Sonus Faber were a part of, but have not listened to them enough to say this was solely due to the speakers.

Dave my friend...

I dont know what it is I like about SF... everytime I listen to it, I just feel like I'm listening to music. Not that I'm not hearing that with my Summits, but it's just a little different. And I know this isn't just an artifact of the upstream as you remember when we had the Summits hooked up to a very similar system as mine at home at the dealer... and I listened to the Cremonas through the same said system and it was indeed a different experience.

Better or worse? I cannot tell you at the moment.

Last edited:
Dave my friend...

I dont know what it is I like about SF... everytime I listen to it, I just feel like I'm listening to music. Not that I'm not hearing that with my Summits, but it's just a little different. And I know this isn't just an artifact of the upstream as you remember when we had the Summits hooked up to a very similar system as mine at home at the dealer... and I listened to the Cremonas through the same said system and it was indeed a different experience.

Better or worse? I cannot tell you at the moment.

Joey,

I hear you. I also loved the Sonus Faber setup the dealer had - he possibly had the warmest system I have ever heard with Cremonas, Hovland, and a couple of different amps, Plinius being one of them.

I also heard the Sonus Faber through a Naim Integrated (if my memory serves me correctly) at another dealer, and it was more Logan-like - on the opposite spectrum of what the other dealer had set up. But of course it was not Logan.

I guess my take on this is that a person can have a fleet of cars and choose which ever one suits his moods or needs for the trip. Why not have 2 systems - one warm with the Sonus Faber and one realistic with the Logans?

Joey,

I hear you. I also loved the Sonus Faber setup the dealer had - he possibly had the warmest system I have ever heard with Cremonas, Hovland, and a couple of different amps, Plinius being one of them.

I also heard the Sonus Faber through a Naim Integrated (if my memory serves me correctly) at another dealer, and it was more Logan-like - on the opposite spectrum of what the other dealer had set up. But of course it was not Logan.

I guess my take on this is that a person can have a fleet of cars and choose which ever one suits his moods or needs for the trip. Why not have 2 systems - one warm with the Sonus Faber and one realistic with the Logans?

David,

When I get everything set up... we have to do an inter-listening area meet! Hopefully I'll have my new set all set up by then.

Back