Is a power console/conditioner necessary?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danvu

Reaction score
I know someone on this forum already asked a similar question but I can't find that thread so I'm just asking it again. Does it really make a difference or improve the sound quality at all, especially if I live in a relatively new home?
The reason I ask is that belkin is having a promotion slashing off 50% retail price on their website and the PureAV PF60 seems like a nice one to get. I already have a Monster HTS 1000 MKIII so I'm not sure if I would gain anything buying this Belkin one (beside getting more outlets :))

Last edited:
Certainly surge protection and good noise filters help. Panamax, apc, Monster all have mid price pieces. Sky is the limit here but I do not know if the 2k+ items sound much different.

Some pre/amps and tvs are. Some are more prone then others

Bryston tells you not to use one for my 4 sst but I have a Panamax m2 sub on mine.
In a number countries like the US in many regions voltage regulation is quite important. All the manufacturers I mentioned above have units that also voltage regulate.
Your home is not the major issue since noise can come over the power line.

Last edited:
It all depends on how direct/clean your power is. Fluctuations & noise can reek havoc on quality of sound & you wont be none the wiser until you try a filter/power source. I once lived on a stretch of power line that was notorious for stereo sound drawing power off the grid, my saving grace was that the feed to my house was the very first feed after the transformer, a power conditioner made no difference at all.

Well from your responses, it seems like I don't really need one since my current Monster one can regulate voltage and also has power line noise filter. Now is it worth spending $150 to get something that is nice to add to the equipment stand, has more out outlets, higher joules and probably does a bit better than what the Monster can do? Hmmm...tough decision :)

Back