is 15 gauge ok for Vista?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi is,

Generally speaking, a thicker wire is needed as the cable length increases.

Regarding sound and wether you prefer the AQ to the Monster, only you can decide. Wire is definitely a product that needs to be auditioned to make the best informed decision.

GG

PS: Just checked the Audio Advisors Website. New 10' pair terminated with spades for $119. Made from "bulk" stock so exterior will look different than the picture you've attached. That's likely the reason for the price difference. And that may come with a 30 day money back. Need to verify.

For a 10' wire, I think the gauge should not be an issue. I also suspect that you will prefer over the Monster. Just remember it will take a bit of break in before sounding its best.

Last edited:
I don't like banana connectors, unless they are the lockable type. Better to go with spades.

I'm skeptical of a 15g wire sounding better than any 12g wire, no matter the length....
I like Gordon's option....especially if it comes with 30 day money back.

If you are handy, you may want to consider terminating the Monster with spade connectors yourself (couple of bucks) and see how that does. At least it may help the A/B comparison.

Disclosure: I am a skeptic of boutique speaker wires. Keep that in mind when reading my opinion :).

For that price I think you could do much better. Also, 15 G seems very thin. If you want something in a similar price range I can recommend Signal Cable speaker cables. I use a bi-wire Ultra series with my ML Vantages and they sound great. You also get a 30-day money back policy with them.

Hi invenio,

I don't know how much better you can do for $115. A good quality 15ga. wire should pose no performance loss issues in a 10' run.

Signal Cable is certainly another option. The uninitiated might also consider this a boutique brand. It's a well known performer for the price. DH Labs also come to mind.

Nice looking room by the way.

GG

Hi invenio,

I don't know how much better you can do for $115. A good quality 15ga. wire should pose no performance loss issues in a 10' run.

Signal Cable is certainly another option. The uninitiated might also consider this a boutique brand. It's a well known performer for the price. DH Labs also come to mind.

Nice looking room by the way.

GG

GG-

Your right. I should have phrased it another way. $115 for speaker cable is not outrageous in any manner and if it performs well it's a bargain. I was just surprised by the 15 g, that seems really thin. It may or may not have an effect on a 10 ft run. I think for a similar price there are many options that are at least a 12 G. I would love to try both of them out with A/B switching and see if there is any difference. Another really cheap option is to get some 10 G spool from monoprice for $25 bucks. These are not terminated but it's so cheap that it's worth a try. I actually use this for long runs in my HT setup which is comprised of higher end Polk Audio speakers. Clearly not in the same class as ML but for hometheater which requires a less "refined" sound they actually perform great.

Back