Inactive Members/Using Forum for Selling Gear

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people who have less than 1 post and haven't signed on in 10 days get deleted.

I just went and nuked all user IDs who haven't logged on in 365 days... their posts remain on the site, so no worries there.

Tom.

well i guess i would have been nuked if you had done this two months ago because i had to take a 2 year break. the reasons why i had to do that are VERY personal, but a divorce and realignment of life later i'm back in a place where i can participate.

when i returned, i did notice that some of my posts had been deleted. such is life i suppose. it would have really sucked to have found myself deleted too.

How do you interpret the posts as being snobbish?

How do you know that these people aren't considering purchasing ML speakers by offering some of their gear for sale to other ML owners. To deny this opportunity would be a mistake and could turn people off from purchasing ML products. Is that what you folks want? I say leave the classifieds alone.

Tom, I think it's a good call and your method seems sound to me. Case in point - jmac7's 1 and only post in our classified section for a pair of Von Schweikert DB99's. Why? Didn't he even realize it's Martin Logan forum? :mad:

Are ML speakers the only ones made in the world today?

If we must, in order to avoid every Tom Dick and Harry abusing the classified section, I suppose we could limit its use to members who are genuine enough to have posted their system in here.

Just a thought.

Absolutely not, but you missed my point that since this is after all a Martin Logan forum the audience for such posts regarding the purchase of new speakers would most likely be those looking specifically for Martin Logans.

Am I missing something in your post or do you simply prefer to be contrary?

If your a member with at least 15 posts you can post a for sale add.;) If not go to e bay . Why should I have to look at adds from potential fly by night untrustworthy individuals that have not put a bit of time in on the forum. I don't know about any of you but I am in the school of "Guilty until proven Innocent" I have been burnt before and I don't need these types on our site. As members we strive to help and be as honest as we can be to each other.

As for old registered members, I think they should be left as is they are. Why punish them. Their are many who leave and come back as Zaphod said. They still have registered and can contribute. The 15 post rule will stop 99% of all spam site sellers ! If you look at many Forums they do the same . Some even go as far as making members pay to sell. Now I don't want that but the minimum post count will stop any drifters that are looking for free audience !

Sorry, I have no mercy for a person who cant get involved and talk a little about them selves and what they are looking to do ! Explain why your selling! If you are selling to upgrade to ML , then make a post, get some Ideas. Don't just post a for sale add and think we are stupid ! Your probably posting that same item on every audio site that is free with no minimum post count !

Last edited:
Tom,

I like the idea of deleting after a certain time period. How about a Martin Logan classified section ONLY. Then a anything section. This way you can promote the use of ML's but also have a place that members can sell there other speakers and gear as we don't all have ML's in every room.

Thoughts?

you had better read my post again... LESS than 1 post.

show some respect, will ya?! ;)

You kill me, my mistake was the middle of the night and after a major tornado scare. Missed the "LESS" part, my bad. :bowdown: The house was shaking and thought we were getting hit for the second time in two months, so my mind wasnt actually seeing the word "LESS" Was sitting here in the dark online with my battery back up. LOL

How do you know that these people aren't considering purchasing ML speakers by offering some of their gear for sale to other ML owners.

What does this matter? If they are interested in MLs, wouldn't they be asking questions about MLs instead of just registering and immediately posting a classified?

To deny this opportunity would be a mistake and could turn people off from purchasing ML products. Is that what you folks want?

Gee, aren't we being a tad melodramatic here? Because this forum requires you to have a few posts before posting a classified, that is going to turn you off of an incredible-sounding brand of speaker? Are you joking? If that was the case, then that person wasn't really interested in MLs to begin with.

My thought is that Audiogon exists for people to sell their stereo equipment. This forum exists for ML enthusiasts. If someone isn't enthusiastic enough to participate in the forum, why provide them with bandwidth and a marketplace to sell their goods?

I don't have a problem with a forum member selling dynamic speakers or anything else here. My problem is someone who is not a member registering here solely to sell their goods (even if they are MLs).

Am I missing something in your post or do you simply prefer to be contrary?

Hit the nail on the head!

If we must, in order to avoid every Tom Dick and Harry abusing the classified section, I suppose we could limit its use to members who are genuine enough to have posted their system in here.

Just a thought.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely not, but you missed my point that since this is after all a Martin Logan forum the audience for such posts regarding the purchase of new speakers would most likely be those looking specifically for Martin Logans.

Since you mentioned a person selling Von Schweikerts, is it possible for you to know this person's motives? Again. I say keep the classifieds open.

"I don't have a problem with a forum member selling dynamic speakers or anything else here. My problem is someone who is not a member registering here solely to sell their goods (even if they are MLs)."

How do you know this is the case?

How do you know this is the case?

I don't know that this is the case every time. I do know that it happens quite often because I have seen plenty of ads that were the one and only posts that member has ever made to the site. I am also pretty sure that if someone is truly interested in MLs and wishes to participate in the forum, they probably are not going to mind a minimum post limit before being allowed to advertise in the classifieds section.

Tell me, why are you so opposed to the idea?

"Tell me, why are you so opposed to the idea?"

It appears very snobbish to me. And I remember when high end audio was loaded with snobbery.

I suppose we could limit its use to members who are genuine enough to have posted their system in here.
I think we would have to allow its use also to members who intend to post their systems here really really really soon. :D

Last edited:
I don't think short term members posting classifieds is a bad thing. especially if it is something that would have value to us as ML owners. I'm relatively new to this board (been lurking around a long time...finally signed up a month ago) and try to actively contribute and ask assistance from knowledgeable forum members here.

Last edited:
I think we would have to allow its use also to members who intend to post their systems here really really really soon. :D

Hey! I resemble that remark! It's O.K., though. I never, ever sell anything. If I buy it, I keep it for life . . . or give it away. Heck, I even still have my bose acoustimass speakers in the closet somewhere . . . and my original crappy cerwin vega center channel. Maybe it's time to have an audio yard sale.

By the way, I am getting very close to having my system ready to post. Really. I mean it.

I admit that I approach the classified with a degree of trust because it is coming from members of this group. However, the number of post by each individual is evident, which puts you on alert to if this person is a "trusted" member. That being said, I look forward to possibly finding something in the classified. If that something is from someone with only one post, or several for that matter, the potential buyer should take all appropriate steps to help ensure a satisfying transaction. The conclusion, in my opinion, is to allow advertisement only if it is not a problem of space for the site.

I regard myself as a lurker, or rather a learner. There is much to absorb from this site and I can relate to those who keep quiet and just read. I hope restrictions are not placed based on limited post.

If a person does not log-on in a year or more, they should anticipate that their account might be eliminated. Who even remembers their log-on name and password after all that time? Re-registering should be easy enough if necessary.

BTW, we are NOT snobs! We all share a love for fine sounding music no matter the source. It just so happens we also all share the same source.:D

You kill me, my mistake was the middle of the night and after a major tornado scare. Missed the "LESS" part, my bad. :bowdown: The house was shaking and thought we were getting hit for the second time in two months, so my mind wasnt actually seeing the word "LESS" Was sitting here in the dark online with my battery back up. LOL

don't sweat it.. :D

my $0.02

I'd limit the classifieds to users who had been registered for either of the following:
- More than x posts (15 is a good number)
- More than y time since registration (>1 month)

This will keep drive-by's to a minimum, and not penalize members who don’t post often.

If something inappropriate is posted, the mod's can clean it up.

As for how long to leave accounts on the board, my opinion is that at least a year before nuking. Three years sound more reasonable IMHO.

For instance, I was very active on the AcuraZine boards when shopping for my RL, but I will go for months between visits nowadays.

Last edited:
Back