In for a treat

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHun

Reaction score
A good year ago, I really had a headache wondering why my beloved MLs do not deliver what they are supposed to. My main problem was soundstage/imaging and clarity. It was just not right, not even close.

Talking to other audio loonies I was dragged into the realm of room treatments. I have invited a fellow, who has made some measurements and I ended up with two diffusers placed behind the speakers (and one actually in between them). It was a definite improvement, though I have to admit, that bringing the speakers front from about 1,5-2 feet to 3-3,5 was the best bang for the buck change so far - albeit insufficient.

Then two friends came over; and they had two absorbers that we have placed behind the speakers. It was a definite improvement over the diffusers but the downside was that these were made with mineral wool and neither of us was convinced that the mineral wool will stay in its designated housing.
Then a bit later the overall picture improved light-years with a new preamp, cables and a DAC (despite all of them being reasonably priced local DIYs) but imaging still had plenty of room for improvement.
The diffusers were OK, but I have recalled that the absorbers gave better results in terms of soundstage and imaging.

To find an alternative of mineral wool (or glass fiber) I have taken another advice and finally bought two sheets of inhomogeneous, fairly hard foam - 6x3 ft / 2x1 m and 4,7 ''/ 12 cm thick. It looks like as if the vegetable side dish has been grinded into a foam mesh. It is made up of all kind of - I guess - foam leftover and molded into a large block which is then cut into sheets.
My daughter has just loved jumping on the sheets and I had to trade in a promise of a trampoline to be able to recover my absorbers, but alas, finally the sheets are now behind the MLs.

And this is the point, where I have to admit, - after my initial joy that lasted about one track - I became a bit discouraged.
First I have played an imho well recorded ‘demo’ disk of Max Lässer's Ark - A Different Kind Of Blue (B&W). I said wow, yesss, this is what I wanted; I now have a wider and more defined space and still have my fine resolution.
And then I started to spin other records from all genres and I gradually started to loose my initial enthusiasm; the absorbers appear to be working, in fact, they appear to be overworking and absorbed some of the music as well…
I feel that I have lost some detail and dynamics, at least when moving back to my listening position (8-9 ft / 2,5-3 m). Funny that most of it comes back if I move closer to the speakers (~5 ft / 1,5 m). So I guess I managed to make two near filed monitors out of the Monoliths - call that an achievement.
There are several factors which makes the direction of my next vague;
After all, I did not say yet, but the room / placement is a bit odd, asymmetric. I’m thinking about narrowing the sheets from 3.1 ft / 1,05 m to about 2.4 ft / 80 cm or cutting out the size of the original diffuser from the foam and inserting the diffuser back behind the speakers (but then with an absorber frame). But these changes are difficult to undo or simulate.
Not to mention that it’s not easy experimenting with biamped Monoliths (stiff cables), king size sponges weighting about 35 kg / 70 pounds each and light but fragile diffusers. I might try to move the MLs to a more symmetric position, but I do not know if I can get away with it. Ya know, the WAF factor… I’m also wondering if I should get a mike and make some measurement of different room treatment version at least to know if I’m going in the right direction or not at all. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but why does it honk?

Anyhow, I’ll keep you updated if I open a new chapter, but the story isn’t likely to unfold very quickly.

Attachments

• ML_treat_1.jpg
    ML_treat_1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 359
Hi TheHun,

Good to see you experimenting with this stuff. As you noted, there is a lot of influence in the soundstage and the system response when you treat the room.

You asked about a measuring setup, and I’d highly encourage you to get that.
Doing room treatments and system tuning without a measurement rig (and learning how to use it) is like doing carpentry without a tape measure.

If I can comment a bit about your new ‘absorbers’ I’m not 100% sure, but I’d bet that they are not broadband enough to really help manage the rear wave at lower frequencies. It is also probably too reflective at high frequencies as well.

Also, any absorber should be offset from the wall behind it by a few inches so as to increase the mid and bass absorption.

The mineral wool solution should have worked best, just make sure you build an appropriate housing for the material. Just make sure the density of the material is high enough to be effective at lower frequencies.

Without good geometric L-R symmetry with the room (and large furnishings) you'll always be chasing your tail. Perhaps assymetrical damping of some surfaces can bring back some overall symmetry?

Have you tried playing with the tilt? A little goes a long way.

(I would try a better symmetrical layout at least temporarily to keep yourself sane, certainly until the wife complains - She might even approve!)

Last edited:
I find your write up from your experience with room treatments interesting. I to end up using absorbers to enhance depth of field stage and improve the center stage to where my Odysseys seem to be very transparent. By the way, is your system listed in the “Member Systems” section and if so what is the system#? :music: Good Listening!

First of all, many thanks for the valuable replies and second, I’m sorry as I’m usually reading the main discussion forum and I have realised that room treatment actually has it’s own thread. Well anyhow, I post my reply here and I’ll be more observant in the future.
You asked about a measuring setup, and I’d highly encourage you to get that. Doing room treatments and system tuning without a measurement rig (and learning how to use it) is like doing carpentry without a tape measure.
Yes, I can see / hear it now; I’ll get myself something to work with.
Also, any absorber should be offset from the wall behind it by a few inches so as to increase the mid and bass absorption.
Indeed, I’m going to build a simple housing for it which will allow to move it more easily. BTW, since these are heavy and clumsy stuff I’m thinking about putting lockable wheels (rollers?) under the structure to facilitate moving them. I know that this kind of ground contact is ill advised for speakers, but is it reasonable for an acoustic element?
The mineral wool solution should have worked best, just make sure you build an appropriate housing for the material. Just make sure the density of the material is high enough to be effective at lower frequencies.
Yes, talking of which this is a domain I’m approaching with lots of enthusiasm and even more caution. I’d like to try it and I’m gathering as much info from the web as I can. Most blogs, forums / articles do alert readers about handing and working with mineral / rock wool or glass fiber but graciously skip over the topic of living with them.
Sorry if my question is lame or obvious but apart from completely sealing these material by cardboard wall or similar hard material, what material will keep the nasties (dust and very fine fibers?) inside will still allowing it to act as a proper acoustic absorber (at different frequencies)?

I’ve read about felt on a forum, 1 mm thick felt fabric.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/bass...tc/158213-shaman-s-absorber-build-thread.html

I have also found again what I have already read some times ago; JonFo’s excellent thread(s) about room treatment. Jonathan, as far as I understand, you are using muslin to cover the glass fiber
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6832
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6931

Burke went burlap as I grasp it.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8051

So I wonder, if all of these materials are capable of keeping the funny stuff inside or we aren’t really sure but hope for the best?

without good geometric L-R symmetry with the room (and large furnishings) you'll always be chasing your tail. Perhaps assymetrical damping of some surfaces can bring back some overall symmetry?
Might try that, but the room is really far from anything symmetric so it won’t be a piece of cake.
Have you tried playing with the tilt? A little goes a long way.
Haven’t tried tilt yet, but will give it a go. (Monoliths are tall beasts, so I’d better be careful with that).
(I would try a better symmetrical layout at least temporarily to keep yourself sane, certainly until the wife complains - She might even approve!)
Yes, others have suggested that as well so I’ll buy a day off with no family at home and I’ll try that too.

By the way, is your system listed in the “Member Systems” section and if so what is the system#? Good Listening!
No, I haven’t posted yet as I didn’t feel it to be up to the standards, but I’ll take some proper pictures once I have properly caged the absorbers.

Many thanks again for all the tips;:bowdown: I’ll come back with some pics once I do a step ahead with consolidating the looks of my gear!
Nick

Latest posts

Back