I'm gonna have to test ride this one...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowGEEZR

Reaction score
This may be in my future by this Fall...
1230356229_PZycK-L.jpg

Here's the link...http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/index.html

Sorry, I thought this URL would take you to the correct page. If interested, click on URL, select "Motorcycles", then select "K1600GT".

Last edited:
Habe ein gute Fahrt

It looks good Steve,

I would be interested in its weight. I run a BMW K1200RS and shortly after BMW decided to lighten up the RS and develop the GT separately.

The RS is around 350kgs and considered heavy but it an agile machine on the road with seemingly unlimited torque and speed delivery (I would loose my bottle and give up at 250kms/hr).

The angled in line motor is a relatively recent affair from BMW, I personally prefer the traditional boxer 2 and 4 cylinder motors as they are unique and give the BMWs 'personality'.

These bikes are for growing old with, they will outlast us!

Did you know BMW has been making motorbikes longer than they have cars?

The interviews with David Robb are interesting, his team really is on the ball regarding the combining of engineering attributes with human interaction and perception.

Habe ein gute Fahrt!

fjeff

It looks good Steve,

I would be interested in its weight. I run a BMW K1200RS and shortly after BMW decided to lighten up the RS and develop the GT separately.

The RS is around 350kgs and considered heavy but it an agile machine on the road with seemingly unlimited torque and speed delivery (I would loose my bottle and give up at 250kms/hr).

The angled in line motor is a relatively recent affair from BMW, I personally prefer the traditional boxer 2 and 4 cylinder motors as they are unique and give the BMWs 'personality'.

These bikes are for growing old with, they will outlast us!

Did you know BMW has been making motorbikes longer than they have cars?

The interviews with David Robb are interesting, his team really is on the ball regarding the combining of engineering attributes with human interaction and perception.

Habe ein gute Fahrt!

fjeff

I think the weight of the new GT, GTL will be in between the current 1300GT and the K1200LT. It's supposed to be a performer like the current GT bike, but with the comfort of the LT.

I have many fond memories of my 1998 K1200RS. Sport bike riders were often surprised by that heavy sport tourer. I put a good 60,000 miles on mine before I sold it. Here's a pic of what it looked like...
310687778_VXVXu-XL.jpg

Touche

Nice looking lines and colour mix Steve,

So here is my baby, it is actually the same model as yours but I upgraded the fairing and mirrors and had it resprayed (wait for it!) the BMW colour - 'Japanese Red' ! Clearly a 'go fast' colour!

I just couldn't bring myself to buy the new replacement model with linked brakes figuring if I couldn't manage braking myself then I shouldn't be on such a beast. So I pursuaded the BMW agent to practically give his last of stock to me in 2001 with the above customisation.

In the Middle East, speed was never a problem, hence many runs above 200kmh which surprised the young guys on their GXRs, R1s and FireBlades that this bike was as fast. Interestingly, above 200kmh a puff of wind tended to have their bikes twitching whereas the red 'Brick' at 350kgs just plowed straight on whatever the weather (or wind). Admittedly they got up to 250kmh faster than me but we all ran at the same top speeds.

Here in New Zealand sadly, such speeds are not appreciated (as I found out first time I took it out on the open road), my take on it is that it is about risk management; -the condition of the road, the bike, the weather, my health, am I up to date on sleep, no alchohol in my system, am I 120% on top concentration wise.

Anyway Steve, let me know what the test ride brings, nothing like a BMW in the garage itching to hit the road for a long run

The photo is taken in Jordan (where motorbikes are illegal!) but that is another story........

Jeff

Attachments

• CIMG0374.jpg
    CIMG0374.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I test drove a K1200GT a few years ago and just LOVED it! What a fantastic bike.. super fast, comfortable and tons of gadgetry. Finally ended up with a GS, but the GT still beckons... :eek:

Can't image the 6 cyl K1600GT. CRAZY

Looks great Steve, but be aware of what hitchhikers you pick up !!! ..............

Attachments

• image001[1].jpg
    image001[1].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 166
I test drove a K1200GT a few years ago and just LOVED it! What a fantastic bike.. super fast, comfortable and tons of gadgetry. Finally ended up with a GS, but the GT still beckons... :eek:

Can't image the 6 cyl K1600GT. CRAZY

Tom, I think the 1600 will have the same HP, just more torque and a little more room, both of which are better for two up riding.

Nice looking lines and colour mix Steve,

So here is my baby, it is actually the same model as yours but I upgraded the fairing and mirrors and had it resprayed (wait for it!) the BMW colour - 'Japanese Red' ! Clearly a 'go fast' colour!

I just couldn't bring myself to buy the new replacement model with linked brakes figuring if I couldn't manage braking myself then I shouldn't be on such a beast. So I pursuaded the BMW agent to practically give his last of stock to me in 2001 with the above customisation.

In the Middle East, speed was never a problem, hence many runs above 200kmh which surprised the young guys on their GXRs, R1s and FireBlades that this bike was as fast. Interestingly, above 200kmh a puff of wind tended to have their bikes twitching whereas the red 'Brick' at 350kgs just plowed straight on whatever the weather (or wind). Admittedly they got up to 250kmh faster than me but we all ran at the same top speeds.

Here in New Zealand sadly, such speeds are not appreciated (as I found out first time I took it out on the open road), my take on it is that it is about risk management; -the condition of the road, the bike, the weather, my health, am I up to date on sleep, no alchohol in my system, am I 120% on top concentration wise.

Anyway Steve, let me know what the test ride brings, nothing like a BMW in the garage itching to hit the road for a long run

The photo is taken in Jordan (where motorbikes are illegal!) but that is another story........

Jeff

My K12 had linked, ABS brakes and it was a '98. Are you sure your brakes aren't linked? I don't remember an option for non-linked brakes on the bikes sold in the USA. I'm with you on the speed and the handling of the bike, great fun!

Here's a pic of my K with its onetime stablemate, my track ready 998. You want speed and handling? Imagine the same horsepower and 200 lbs less weight. :rocker:

28616141_ghoQ3-M.jpg

Make or brake me

Hi Steve,

The brake design seemed to depend on markets and options. By 2002 there was no more choice about the linked brake system, the Honda Blackbird went the same way.

I have the ABS but thankfully not the linked brakes.

Try here.
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=22688

Ducatis are pure tactile pleasure, was on the short list but it was the BMW that I fell for.

Nothing wrong with GS Tom, excellent machine, we have the Honda equivalent, Africa Twins which we both Tour on.

Viel spass

Fjeff

Last edited:
Struggling with the K1600GT's styling. Plus it's a little too "grown-up" for me at this point in time. Still happy with my Hayabusa, but I don't ride more than a couple hundred miles in a day.

Struggling with the K1600GT's styling. Plus it's a little too "grown-up" for me at this point in time. Still happy with my Hayabusa, but I don't ride more than a couple hundred miles in a day.

I can understand that. I'm interested now in doing some long, two up rides and my current bike, an R1200GS is not as comfy as a tourer would be. Of course, if I managed to lose about 40 pounds, it would probably be just fine! Just as my clothes manage to shrink over time, so do my bikes. :(

I can understand that. I'm interested now in doing some long, two up rides and my current bike, an R1200GS is not as comfy as a tourer would be. Of course, if I managed to lose about 40 pounds, it would probably be just fine! Just as my clothes manage to shrink over time, so do my bikes. :(

:) I suspect someday I'll be looking for something similar. If I had to do it today, I'd take a hard look at Kawasaki's Concourse.

I don't know if that bike and the 'busa could coexist in the same garage though. :ROFL:

I'd take the BMW over a Harley though...no doubt (running for cover).

:)

I'd take the BMW over a Harley though...no doubt (running for cover).

Yeah, different strokes for different folks. I'm not much of a cruiser guy myself. I tried it twice, once with a '96 Heritage Softail and once with a Yamaha Royal Star. I actually liked the Yamaha, had it for about 8 months, but it only had about 3 to 3&1/2 inches of suspension travel, not quite enough for two up riding. I had the Harley for 3 months and that was enough for me. Now, the Harleys have improved greatly over that bike, with better motors and vibration isolation, as well as better brakes and tire sizes. Dave's (twitch54) Harley looks like it would be a blast to ride.

Last edited:
Back