I went into a mass-market shop today

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A ten thousand dollar system became modestly/reasonably priced when the cost of the best gear made cost six figures.

25 years ago when a top system would set you back 20k, a modest system was 2-3000 bucks.

you are correct Tonepub a truly hi end system would have been not obtainable for most 25 years ago

Just because a Porsche 911 is 'reasonably priced' compared to a Bugatti Veyron doesn't make it inexpensive! hehe

Though I don't think anyone here would argue that 10k for a good high end stereo system is unreasonable (I know I wouldn't), there's still no denying that from an outsiders perspective, wealthy or not, that's a shit load of money for just a stereo!

Oh well, I will gladly drink the koolaid, even if sometimes I'm downing it begrudgingly! :D:ROFL:

Totally agree Fishman.

Here's my perspective on our wonderful hobby.

Assuming people have discretionary cash to spend, each individual decides what their personal priorities are.

For some it's travelling, cars, boats, art, horses or whatever.

When people ask me why I've chosen to invest money into my audio system, I turn the question around and ask them how much time they spend enjoying their personal choice.

Someone who owns a boat may say that they spend 200 hours per year on the water and they love every minute. I typically respond by saying I enjoy my investment in audio anywhere from 10 to 20 hours per week.

Using 15 hours per week as my average, that equates to 750 to 800 hours per year.

Amoritize the investment over that annual period versus someone spending an equal amount of money enjoying their hobby 25% of the total time when compared to my annual hours, it seems to make alot more sense.

I'm sure you all have your personal examples but if you use time spent versus dollars spent, the investment, at least for me, is well worthwhile.

GG

Totally agree Gordon - the amount of hours I spend listening versus what other people spend on their hobbies is amazing. Also - don't forget there are no running costs in audio (small amount of electricity aside) - unlike a boat which is basically a tub into which you throw your money.

That aside though - there are countless people that are amazed by the fact that I just sit and listen -they don't understand that at all. "Huh? You just sit there" they say - or something like "You watch music DVDs, right?"........"nope - just music you fool", I feel like saying!

just remember life is short and you can't bring your stereo,car or money with you so just have a good time be responsible and enjoy !

Back