I need your thoughts!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadof4

Reaction score
Just got some original CLS speakers!

Hi everyone. Glad to find this forum. Just secured purchase of some CLS.:banana: Picking them up this week. I live in the Kansas City area, just a stone's throw from the ML offices. I have always wanted a pair of these and came across a great deal. These were bought in 86 or 87 and I am purchasing them from the son of the individual who owned them locally. They hadn't been up and running for several years, having been stored in the son's basement after his father's passing. They have an NAD 2600A amplifier with them he is throwing in. Questions: How do I bring these up to speed properly? Is this an adequate amp for driving them? I am not able to go spend enough to get that last 2% of difference an amp might make. Just want to not harm the speakers! Will be running a CAL Icon MKII into the amp w/o preamp just using the output control on the amp. Let me have your thoughts and Thanks!

Well a long time ago, I was told that electronics that haven't been on for a very long time should be brought back slowly using a variac. :devil: Now I have no idea if solid state electronics need that type of care. Call ML.

I would be sure to really clean the panels and inspect them carefully also check any nook and crannies for spiders, etc.

really vac them good. that's good advice to look for spiders or other strange things that could have got into them.

I agree, give the panels a good vacuuming. I would also call ML to see what it will take to get the electronic s box updated. The parts inside are 20 years old and caps have a tendency to dry-out. Depending on the sound you may want to invest in a new pair of panels.

Because you are so close to ML no shipping charges.

agree on the vacuuming.

You could also call and take them up to ML for a tune up, update the electronics and panels.

As for amplifiers, My first choice would be the Sanders Sound Systems ESL amplifier $4K. Other amps in the category would be the Conrad Johnson Premier 350, Pass Labs X.350 or X.250. Plinnus and others that you can search for. Second choice for much more moderate costs. would be a Sunfire 2ch amp with 200 to 400 wpc. about $1K used.

Latest posts

Back