I am thoroughly perplexed and need help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvega003

Reaction score
While thank god my Logans are fine I am having an issue with a secondary system and I need help so if anyone has recommendations for solutions or has had similar experiences please chime in. In a second area I'm running a 5.1 surround sound with a traditional av reviver, v1.2 hdmi equipped. All audio and video runs through this unit with the tv used excursively as a monitor. Currently when ever I change the channel on the cable box I am greeted with a very loud bang/ pop coming through the front speakers (loud enough to where I fear it might fry the speakers, currently I have to mute the unit before channel surfing and I have to wait until the info bar at the bottom of the screen disappears before raising the volume back up). Before when I had basic cable (no box), this did not happen. This does not occur on any other source. I have two other systems running with the same comcast dvr model (comp. + opt. to reciver, video out to tv via hdmi) and this never occurs on them. There is no ground loop coming through the cable and to be sure I run the line through my power center first. Comcast draws a blank and the manufactures service reps have no idea whats going on so if anyone has any ideas please let me know and feel free to ask any questions just in case i missed something.

While thank god my Logans are fine I am having an issue with a secondary system and I need help so if anyone has recommendations for solutions or has had similar experiences please chime in. In a second area I'm running a 5.1 surround sound with a traditional av reviver, v1.2 hdmi equipped. All audio and video runs through this unit with the tv used excursively as a monitor. Currently when ever I change the channel on the cable box I am greeted with a very loud bang/ pop coming through the front speakers (loud enough to where I fear it might fry the speakers, currently I have to mute the unit before channel surfing and I have to wait until the info bar at the bottom of the screen disappears before raising the volume back up). Before when I had basic cable (no box), this did not happen. This does not occur on any other source. I have two other systems running with the same comcast dvr model (comp. + opt. to reciver, video out to tv via hdmi) and this never occurs on them. There is no ground loop coming through the cable and to be sure I run the line through my power center first. Comcast draws a blank and the manufactures service reps have no idea whats going on so if anyone has any ideas please let me know and feel free to ask any questions just in case i missed something.

Have you swapped the boxes around to determine if it is the comcast or the system?

Once you rule that out you should disconnect as much unused equipment and try and recreate the sound.

yes; it seems to be originating from the receiver as I have tried it with another box in another room with another system and I had the same problem, yet it only happens with that one source in that one circumstance (changing channels or playing or stopping a recorded program on the dvr). The same action with basic cable (audio coming from tv's optical out and not cable box's) did not cause same problem. If it was as easy as swapping cables, components, or inputs I wouldn't be asking for suggestions.

Last edited:
This is happening using the HDMI digital audio signal from the cable box?
What about the analog audio signal from the cable box?

yes; it seems to be originating from the receiver as I have tried it with another box in another room with another system and I had the same problem, yet it only happens with that one source in that one circumstance (changing channels or playing or stopping a recorded program on the dvr). The same action with basic cable (audio coming from tv's optical out and not cable box's) did not cause same problem. If it was as easy as swapping cables, components, or inputs I wouldn't be asking for suggestions.
So it is the receiver?

Problem solved?

Back