I am in real trouble now....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatancdan

Reaction score
I borrowed these ML Ethos from work ( work at high end stereo shop since 1986 )

I have to return these speakers in 2 weeks ((((( can not afford to order them right away:devil::devil:

Will have to go back to Acoustat electrostatics....they sound good but not like the ML Ethos.

I owned Magnepan MG1.6 , ML SL3 and ML Aeon in past but this new generation of ML is big improvement )))))))

Big question I have now is.... will the Theos sound the same as the Etho's ? best response is not the same the electrostatic panel size is exactly the same....

Not sure what to do ????? Just know music will not be same once I have to bring back ML Ethos back to my shop:mad:

What would you do ? Buy Ethos or Theos?

Maybe selling Velodyne subwoofer will help cover cost difference between Ethos and Theos....

Dan

Just know I am in musical heaven with these ML Ethos + Mac amp...only possible improvement is better audio interconnects + better audio stand

I say get what you can afford now. After a few weeks you will still be mesmerized by what you got. Kinda like the animal that tastes blood. Jus ma opinion

Dan:

I was faced with the same exact decision and agonized over it for months!!! The Ethos and Theos share the same exact panel, so they will sound identical in the mid bass all the way up to the highest registers. Now, the Ethos, with DSP EQ, has a lower sub response than the Theos(43Hz versus 34Hz) but neither speaker reaches all the way down. Get a good quality sealed sub (get two if you can) and pair it with the Theos and you will be in audio heaven indeed!

Make sure you have an AVR/AVP with good bass managements features and cross the subs and Theos at about 80Hz or so. Also the Theos can be bi-wired which gives you flexibility in using different amps for the panel and woofer. Not so for the Ethos ...

I have the same question...but more.

Dan I hope I am not crossing the line of forum decorum here.

I would like to find out if anyone has *heard and compared* both of these models. Even though they use the same panels, we all know that the crossover is can make a huge difference in the way a speaker sounds. At the very least, they are crossed over at different points. But I suspect there are other differences as well. So I would love to hear from people who have auditioned both, side by side. What were the differences? If one has a sub and is not concerned with anything below, say 50 or 60, maybe with a good amp pairing the Theos could sound better. (just a thought)

Thanks,
mandd

I'm curious....

How would the Theos compare to my existing reQuests?

When my Theos arrive (hopefully by the end of this month is what is expected) I can give you my full review. I also was considering the Ethos, but being a college student it seemed the Theos was a good compromise haha.

Back