Hum from Vantage woofer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wipper snapper said:
While I've had other issues(all are corrected now) with my Summits they do not hum. I didn't notice any hum in the Vantages that I had prior to the Summits either.

Regards
Adrian

it's more of a very low freq rumble, the only way I discovered it was I was playimg around with positioning and my ear was literarily inches away, so if you didn't get extremely close I doubt if you would have noticed it !

Last edited:
Joey_V said:
What I cared about was that ML knows about this issue and if anything were to happen, I know I have the backing of the entire ML company and replacing whatever part is damaged as a result.

Joey

Joey, I tend to agree, I think that what ever the issue is (and M/L knows about it) then a retrofit / whatever should be in order for all of us Vantage owners in time. Hopefully before our warranty runs out !!

It not only hums, it also has some static noises in it (probably from the class D amp). It is not true that Velodyne subs are completely silent. I should now, I am a distributor here in The Netherlands... ;) We should not be too wind-up about this in my opinion. The fact that this went unnoticed for several months says it all... I have noticed it quite early after receiving them, but have never found it a real problem.

twich54 said:
Joey, I tend to agree, I think that what ever the issue is (and M/L knows about it) then a retrofit / whatever should be in order for all of us Vantage owners in time. Hopefully before our warranty runs out !!

Hi,

I have it too -- really a kind of low "whooshing" noise. Having said that I've never had a dynamic speaker that didn't transmit amplifier hum and at least this noise doesn't seem to affect the musical signal at all. Sigh -- are we wrong to hope for a tic-free loudspeaker? Or should that be "quirk?"

k

kirkawall said:
Hi,

I have it too -- really a kind of low "whooshing" noise. Having said that I've never had a dynamic speaker that didn't transmit amplifier hum and at least this noise doesn't seem to affect the musical signal at all. Sigh -- are we wrong to hope for a tic-free loudspeaker? Or should that be "quirk?"

k

The difference is that amplifier noise is a natural occurence of devices with gain. Hum is not. My tube amps generate thermionic noise as a function of the way the devices operate. This can be minimized by good design but never to my knowledge eliminated. The speaker isn't generating anything. It is passing on a signal from the preceding device. That is the difference IMO.

Joey_V said:
Just for the record.... my Summits do not have any hum whatsoever...

Joey
Joey, my Summit woofers do not hum either, but when I put my ear close to the grill, a kind of whisper noise could be heard, and this is when it is on standby mode (blue light off). At first I thought it must be the aircon noise being reflected off the aluminium cone, but when I switched off the power to it, the noise disappeared. If what I heard is internal amp noise, then the amps must still be fully on even when in standby mode. Not a good idea, don't you think?
Ben :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back