How satisfied are you with your Martin Logan system for 2ch listening?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting for the veterans to publish their ratings... where's Dave, Dan, Roberto, Tim, Jason, SS, Steve and all the other big shots?

;)

Alright Joey, been thinking about it, just haven't had the time...

1. Tim Bingaman (MiTT) V1.0 0314/07 (System #95)

2. 2 Channel Setup
Analog Front End - Grado Reference cartridge, VPI JMW 10.5 tonearm, VPI Aries turntable, Aesthetix Rhea phono stage, Living Voice Mystic Mat

Digital Front Ends - Esoteric DV-50S Universal Player, Anthem CD-1 (as a transport), Dodson Audio DA-217 MKII DAC; Apple 60G iPod

Pre-Amp - Balanced Audio Technology VK-31SE

Power Amp - Balanced Audio Technology VK-6200 running 4 channel vertically bi-amped

Speakers - Martin Logan ReQuests

Subwoffer - REL Stadium II

Cables - All Synergistic Research Designers Ref or Resolution Ref with several mini power couplers and Master Control Center

Power Filtering - PS Audio P600 & several 20 amp Ultimate Outlets

Accessories - Bright Star Audio Big Rock Aries base with 50 lbs. of sand, Bright Star Little Rock on top of DAC, Mixed sets of Black Diamond Racing cones and thick pucks under Phono Stage, SACD Player, CD Transport and Pre-Amp, custom stainless steel cones under DAC, Townshend Audio Seismic Sink under CD Transport, Salamander Racks, SolidSteel Amp Stand, Musical Fidelity X-Cans and X-PSU headphone amp, Sennheiser HD580 headphones, ceramic cable elevators, VPI 16.5 record cleaning machine.

Room Size 12' x 14' with a 9' ceiling

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating - 8.5/10 or so. It varies with my mood, source material, phase of the moon etc.

4. Comments - I will say that I have had the opportunity to listen to a LOT of very good high end systems over the years and am sometimes consumed with audio lust and occasional bouts of "Joeyitis". At the end of the day though I almost always end up kicking back listing to a lot of MUSIC on my system with a big $h!t eating grin on my face.

5. Planned Upgrades - Hmmm..., well, first and foremost, building a dedicated room in my basement. Beyond that, I'd like to add some tubes to power the stat panels again, probably some BAT VK-150SE's if I can afford them. Also been thinking about the Lyra Skalla cartidge lately. Who knows - I'll be listening very closely to the CLX before long too! :rolleyes: Mostly I'll be buying a lot more music too

I would also like to point out that all of the information Joey has asked forshould be entered into Lugano's awesome ML database!!

1 hour of programming and I can build a history behind every member's setup. There will be an actual situation, with a series of past snapshots, each one sporting a date and the change that has been made. I am glad that you brought this up, Beat - I gave up "pushing" the concept, but if someone else brings out the argument, I chime in.

1. Name and System version # and DATE
Joel Schnur
Version 1.0
3/13/2007

2. 2-ch Setup (List your entire 2ch setup, from wires to speakers!)

Foobar
M-audio Dio 24/96
Lexicon DC-1
Bryston 4C
Audioquest wires
Pwer Condioner-Tice 2400 watt version
Vantage-angled per Joey's recommendation
12x14x8

3. Overall Satisfaction Rating

4. Comments 5. Upgrades planned
mid bass may be a little thin at times. Barotnes are not as good as I would like. Percussion and upper register is truly great! Imaging is wonderful

Perhaps a quality sub woofer??

Last edited:
1. Name and System version # and DATE
Name: Diamonds System is also under Diamonds V53253.535 as of 3/13/2007
2. 2-ch Setup
Amps: Pass Labs X600.5
Pre Amp: Pass Labs X1
Source: Musical Fidelity KW DM 25 /Upgrading to Esoteric X-1 Limted
Speakers: Martin Logan Summits
Power Conditioning: Shunyata Hydra 6
Cables: All intercontects are Acoustic Zen Silver Reference/Speaker Hologram II, Power: A mix of Shunyata and Acoustic Zen
3. Overall Satisfaction Rating would have to be 8/10 everything can always be improved.
4. I honestly think my system very good. My room is not very good and there is not much to be changed there (the wife). My speakers disappear in the room. There is so much space between instruments and the bass is dead on. Of course it has Martin Logan mid range and highs. This is the best system I have ever built. I think the addition of a new cdp will bring more information than is already there. If there are complaints it would be that it is a little to laid back on certain music. Hopefully with a more forward CDP it will improve.
5. Planned upgrades is of course the Esoteric X-1 limited CDP. Also, I want to get the so much talked about, but actually still myth: Super Summits!!!! My dealer knows I want them and will order them as soon as they come out if they ever come out. I hope to have like the 4th pair of Super Summits made. That's how anxious I am.

I hope this is what this thread was looking for. :D

Last edited:
I hope this is what this thread was looking for. :D

Yup, this is exactly what I was looking for. Months from now, you can come back and post another rating of a newly evolved system with your Super Summits and you can look back at your previous system satisfaction rating. :cheers:

1 hour of programming and I can build a history behind every member's setup. There will be an actual situation, with a series of past snapshots, each one sporting a date and the change that has been made. I am glad that you brought this up, Beat - I gave up "pushing" the concept, but if someone else brings out the argument, I chime in.

Hmm, that sounds like a cool idea.

I'm still waiting for the veterans to publish their ratings... where's Dave, Dan, Roberto, Tim, Jason, SS, Steve and all the other big shots?;)

yeah, and I'm still waiting for you to get signed up for the June "Get-Together" !! So here goes my end of the deal !!

1) Dave aka "Twitch", system ver 1.0, date - Today !!

2) Vantage's--> Signal Cable speaker wire(copper)-->Plinius SA-102-->Cat Cables 'King Cats' balanced silver IC's-->ARC LS-26 pre-amp
ANALOG Front End...VPI Aries 3 / VPI-DynaVector cart--> AudioQuest 'King Cobra' IC--> ARC PH-3 -->AudioQuest 'King Cobra' IC --> LS-26
DIGITAL Front End...Cary Audio 303/300--> Cat Cables 'King Cats' balanced silver IC's--> LS-26

3) ......8

4) While I'm overall quite happy, a valuable insight was learned this past weekend at Dan's house, for when the lower bass octave (sub) is done correctly there CAN be very good and seamless integration with the ESL Panels, ie. "the ability to keep pace". So there in lies another possible area to take my system 'to the next level'

5) Further room acoustical inhancements, hire DTB300 as a consultant !

Last edited:
Twich
On an unrelated note. Can you tell me where to find King Cat Silver Cables. I have been Googling any possible combination and have come up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

Twich
On an unrelated note. Can you tell me where to find King Cat Silver Cables. I have been Googling any possible combination and have come up with nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

Brad

I think it's through CAT cables, if you go to htguide.com you will find the company there.... the guy Lex is the head of the forum and the head of CAT cables.

yeah, and I'm still waiting for you to get signed up for the June "Get-Together" !!

Dave,

Do you get the feeling Joey is avoiding this topic? Maybe he is trying to weasel out of this trip?

OK, Joey. I'll make you a deal. If you will sign up for the get-together in Lawrence, I'll sign up right behind you. And, as a bonus, I will immediately post my system in this thread AND in the member's systems thread. What do you say?

Dave,

Do you get the feeling Joey is avoiding this topic? Maybe he is trying to weasel out of this trip?

OK, Joey. I'll make you a deal. If you will sign up for the get-together in Lawrence, I'll sign up right behind you. And, as a bonus, I will immediately post my system in this thread AND in the member's systems thread. What do you say?

I need a "whistling nonchalantly emoticon".....

;)

I'll sign up I'll sign up! Just need to get a few things in order! Cant wait for the National Meet though! Maybe Cherian, Wayne, and I will head out together... I wonder if Amtrak goes there...

I wonder if Amtrak goes there...

You Betcha !!!! Train #3 "The Southwest Chief" , departs Chgo Union station at 1515 and arrives Kansas City @2211. Remember....."Nothin' could be finer than dinner in the diner"

I'm thinking about taking #4 back from KC to Chgo after the event myself.

You Betcha !!!! Train #3 "The Southwest Chief" , departs Chgo Union station at 1515 and arrives Kansas City @2211. Remember....."Nothin' could be finer than dinner in the diner"

I'm thinking about taking #4 back from KC to Chgo after the event myself.

OOOOhhh wee!!! :D :D

Re-Energized desire for 2-channel sound

1. Name and System version # and DATE Tim's System v.1 - 16-Mar-07
2. 2-ch Setup Rotel RB-1080 Amp - Rotel RC-1070 Preamp - Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player - AudioQuest King Cobra Interconnects - Thorens TD-190-1 Turntable - Ortophon OM-30 Cartridge - Panamax MAX5100 Line Conditioner - Martin Logan SL3 - AudioQuest Rockefeller Bi-Wire Cables
3. Overall Satisfaction Rating 6/10
4. Comments You all have been at this so much longer than I that I hardly feel qualified to post. But after having spent the last year building a HT system I recently rekindled a desire for rich 2-channel sound. All of the equipment is new except the SL3's which I purchased from a friend. These are my first ML speakers and I know I have a LOT of work to do with setup and placement. I'm sure my room is going to challenge me in this. Its a game room that's quite large, 18'-8" x 22'-6". Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Quite honestly the system sounds incredible to me now. I only give the lower score of 6/10 because I've not even begun the setup process on the SL3's. I only got them yesterday and stopped long enough to come here looking for setup tips and couldn't resist the temptation to post my system.
5. Upgrades planned Digital Audio Converter for mp3 streamer (ROKU). I don't expect to hear CD quality sound from this source, just decent quality and the conveniece of loading up long playlists for parties.
[/COLOR]

Can't get no satisfashion? Check this . . . . . . .

Click on my system link. All will be revealed -- except I need to update the picture, which currently shows my Levinson 23.5 sitting where my new Mac MC275 MkIV now resides :rolleyes: :drool:

Ok - since some of us have strayed - I will too... How in the heck can you spend some of the dough you folks have spent and rate them a 7??? That is a C in school.... A Summit system a 'C'... Joey? Maybe I missed it - but good god man - I could never give my system that kind of grade after spending that kind of moolah. :eek: Doing the critical listening prior to purchasing etc.... You guys are WAY too critical :) I'm giving all of your systems a 9. There I said it!!! :haha1:

Ok - since some of us have strayed - I will too... How in the heck can you spend some of the dough you folks have spent and rate them a 7??? That is a C in school.... A Summit system a 'C'... Joey? Maybe I missed it - but good god man - I could never give my system that kind of grade after spending that kind of moolah. :eek: Doing the critical listening prior to purchasing etc.... You guys are WAY too critical :) I'm giving all of your systems a 9. There I said it!!!

It's a C... definitely good though. I am still waiting for my DAC.... stupid place is backordered :mad:! I had the DAC in my system and it was such an apparent improvement, that I havent really listened to my system critically since I returned the demo unit (after 1wk) to my friend. Now... I know what an 8 sounds like in my room.

I figured that if I get vinyl going here... I'll get that elusive 9.

Then, if I get a better room and get that last bit of infrasonic reproduction (that last octave) via dual DD15 (at the very least), get that top end Cary 05 preamp.... then maybe.... 9.5.

As for now, I can say that for what I spent... the system is lackluster in source components and that's why it gets a 7. Remember, the Summits cant save a crappy signal. ;)

I figured that if I get vinyl going here... I'll get that elusive 9.

I don't think just switching from one TYPE of source to another will increase the rating of your system... Well, maybe it will, but I don't get the impression you are looking to spend $8k+ on a TT, etc...

Vinyl, is not really, BETTER, just different... Again it will depend on what you are looking to spend. I think $750 on a CD player vs $3000 on a CD player is probably pretty hard to hear...I venture a guess I would not hear the difference AT ALL. I think when you are talking TT, and the gear you really need to starting at about $1500, and moving up to say $4000 IS going to make an audible difference...

Just my impression from stuff I have heard and listened to over the years.

I know that if I rate my system I will rate it independent of the source, looking at those as being more fluid and moving in and out of the sytem, vs. the "system" as being Pre/Pro, Amp, cables, speakers... maybe not even speakers...

Just my thoughts there guys. YMMV!

I don't think just switching from one TYPE of source to another will increase the rating of your system... Well, maybe it will, but I don't get the impression you are looking to spend $8k+ on a TT, etc...

Vinyl, is not really, BETTER, just different... Again it will depend on what you are looking to spend. I think $750 on a CD player vs $3000 on a CD player is probably pretty hard to hear...I venture a guess I would not hear the difference AT ALL. I think when you are talking TT, and the gear you really need to starting at about $1500, and moving up to say $4000 IS going to make an audible difference...

Just my impression from stuff I have heard and listened to over the years.

I know that if I rate my system I will rate it independent of the source, looking at those as being more fluid and moving in and out of the sytem, vs. the "system" as being Pre/Pro, Amp, cables, speakers... maybe not even speakers...

Just my thoughts there guys. YMMV!
Heard my incoming digital source vs a vinyl setup and the difference was easily apparent.. and the vinyl setup was cheaper too James. Everything I was looking for in the reproduction was more in parallel with the vinyl rig than it was with the digital rig.... the residual digital glare was certainly there, yet I couldn't have picked up on the glare if it hadn't been for an A/B with the vinyl rig.

I think a $3K vinyl rig can get me closer to ideal.. rather than spending $3K on a digital source, from what I heard, there's more bang for the buck with vinyl. Atleast to my ears, there was.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back