How narrow is too narrow for CLXs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifiaudio2

Reaction score
I have a pair of CLXs in my current room that is about 17ft wide. I have an interested buyer that is trying to find feedback or real world examples of these being used in more narrow rooms. His room is about 12ft wide. He has no problem on depth and can get them 5-6 feet from the front wall, but width is his issue. His room is a dedicated listening room. He can treat is however he wants (He is a longtime audiophile, I know there are multiple treatments already there..I dont know what kind).
My understanding is that their line source nature keeps them from interacting with the side walls in the way a non line source cone speaker would, but wanted to get some forum feedback to tell him.

Thanks!

Typically, line sources don't interact with ceiling and floor like typical speakers. Because they're dipoles, electrostats produce a cardioid radiation pattern i.e. they don't interact with the side walls as would a monopole, and should be more tolerant of close-sidewall placement.

I have a pair of CLXs in my current room that is about 17ft wide. I have an interested buyer that is trying to find feedback or real world examples of these being used in more narrow rooms. His room is about 12ft wide. He has no problem on depth and can get them 5-6 feet from the front wall, but width is his issue. His room is a dedicated listening room. He can treat is however he wants (He is a longtime audiophile, I know there are multiple treatments already there..I dont know what kind).
My understanding is that their line source nature keeps them from interacting with the side walls in the way a non line source cone speaker would, but wanted to get some forum feedback to tell him.

Thanks!

Hi hifi,

In support of the very knowledgeable RUR's cardioid-commentary, we have at least a few forum members here who have CLX side-wall "extreme proximity" and claim to hear minimal impact to soundstage re-creation. Chances are good that even in the relatively confined confines of your potential buyer's room, the CLX's will still sound good to very-good, or even better.

Can I be so bold as to ask why you're looking to sell your CLXs? Feel free to disregard my question for any reason.

Cheers

The short answer to "why sell" is probably that I am a bit dumb. :)

The long is that I have wanted for quite a while to have more of a true "theater" than a 2 channel room with a screen hung in the middle. This means a huge acoustically transparent screen (160" wide scope), hidden speakers, multi row seating, etc. With the CLX needing 5 feet from the front wall to be their best, this really hurts my ability to do a screen in front of them and put them behind a screen wall and stage. I am going to try out Seaton Catalysts and am having Dennis Erskine design a baffle wall, stage, risers, and room layout for me. I have already purchased my two Submersive HPs and love them.

Last edited:
I have already purchased my two Submersive HPs from him, and love them.
Mind bending, aren't they? Had the very great pleasure of chatting with Mark over dinner @ RMAF and, before you could say "Rumpelstiltskin", I owned one.:cool:

I know a few guys with Catalyst/SubMersive HT's, and they're all beyond thrilled with the setup. Good luck!

Just to add my CLX's are close to the side walls and I have not had any issues. He should be just fine with them.

Marc.

Mine is very close to a large SGD with no problem. My processor has room perfect though.

Latest posts

Back