How much is enough?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sounds complicated. Is there a way to measure the gain?
Would an external cross over of some sort be better?
hummm not so sure I want to go down that road.
I have enough problems:D
  1. No, it is really not very complicated at all. A very easy way to get the gain is to look at the spec (or ask the mfg for the gain value). It's usually spec'ed in db. For example, the Classe' amplifier is spec'ed at 26db of gain.
  2. An active cross-over in front of the amplifier is ideal, but now we're talking about adding more components into the signal chain. Recall that the built-in crossover of the Logans are not easily bypassed.
  3. Even if one decide to go with an active-crossover, the Marchand XM26 can be order with built-in volume control to relieve the need for a pre-amp.
Do a search with biamp (or "bi-amp") as keywords and you'll get lots of info here.

Spike

I highly recommend Outlaw Audio's model 2200 monobloc amps to run the woofers. They are 200 wpc and 27 db gain and only $624 for the pair brand new, with free shipping. If you could find a decent tube amp within the 26 to 28 db gain range and maybe 50 to 100 wpc, then you would be set and your speakers will perform better than you thought possible. I paired these monoblocs with my CJ Premier 140 stereo tube amp on my Ascents and the sound is awesome. I also think a used Sunfire two channel amp would be good to put on the woofers. Good luck with it.

I highly recommend Outlaw Audio's model 2200 monobloc amps to run the woofers. They are 200 wpc and 27 db gain and only $624 for the pair brand new, with free shipping. If you could find a decent tube amp within the 26 to 28 db gain range and maybe 50 to 100 wpc, then you would be set and your speakers will perform better than you thought possible. I paired these monoblocs with my CJ Premier 140 stereo tube amp on my Ascents and the sound is awesome. I also think a used Sunfire two channel amp would be good to put on the woofers. Good luck with it.

I actually love the Monarchy audio that I have. I would want to keep that, and add a tube amp.
The tube amps that I like is the Primaluna Prologue six or seven. The specs on that are
Input Sensitivity: 911mV Input
Impedance: 100k Ohms

does anyone know how this translates to DB gain?

The Monarchy audio is
Input Sensitivity: 500mV Input
Impedance: 100k Ohms

A quick peek at the Primaluna's user's manual revealed gain of 26x (28.5db). I don't know how that figure will match with the Monarchy. Since you already have the Monarchy 100, why not get 2 SM-70PRO monoblocs and have these drive the panels? They are supposed to be sweet, approaching SET amplifers!

Spike

A quick peek at the Primaluna's user's manual revealed gain of 26x (28.5db). I don't know how that figure will match with the Monarchy. Since you already have the Monarchy 100, why not get 2 SM-70PRO monoblocs and have these drive the panels? They are supposed to be sweet, approaching SET amplifers!

Spike

Thanks. I'm trying to get the exact spec form Monarch. They gave it to me as
1V at full output. I emailed them the PrimaLuna spec so they cane give me the Monarchy in the same manner.

I actually love the Monarchy audio that I have. I would want to keep that, and add a tube amp.
The tube amps that I like is the Primaluna Prologue six or seven.

Ok, I get it. Have you considered getting another set of Monarchy's and biamping with those? Since they are class A, that might sound really good and you would have no gain issues. At the same time, I understand the desire to get some tubes on your panels.

Ok, I get it. Have you considered getting another set of Monarchy's and biamping with those? Since they are class A, that might sound really good and you would have no gain issues. At the same time, I understand the desire to get some tubes on your panels.

Wanting Tubes is the driving force behind this. The Monarchy drives the speakers extremely well, If I didn't want tubes I would not be in a hurry to
replace them. There is just nothing like the tube sound.
I think next weekend I will be able to try the atma-sphere amps on the
Logans. This weekend I'm taking my 740C to see how it sounds in my
buddies system.

Back