How much do I need to spend to top my source set up?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamo

Reaction score
I currently use a Denon 3930ci as a transport and feed that via an audioquest VDM-5 digi coax to my Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 tube DAC. Then the signal is output to the Parasound 2100S Preamp via Audioquest King Cobras. On the used music market, and for ~1,500 or less, can I accomplish the same or better sound quality in a stand alone CDP? I've heard the Rega Apollo and don't feel it bests my current set up.
I doubt 1500 can do it, but I'm not all knowing and there are plenty of brands I know little or nothing about.
Thanks,
Adam

I never heard a system in setup like yours, but if you like tube, I suggest Opera Audio Consonance Droplet 5.0 CDP. I changed quite a bit of things around and finally settle on this one. It's running direct into my Mc275. You should be able to find one on gon for $1500-$1600.

I currently use a Denon 3930ci as a transport and feed that via an audioquest VDM-5 digi coax to my Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 tube DAC. Then the signal is output to the Parasound 2100S Preamp via Audioquest King Cobras. On the used music market, and for ~1,500 or less, can I accomplish the same or better sound quality in a stand alone CDP? I've heard the Rega Apollo and don't feel it bests my current set up.
I doubt 1500 can do it, but I'm not all knowing and there are plenty of brands I know little or nothing about.
Thanks,
Adam

Well the best thing to do, considering your budget, would be to drive to Overture in Delware and audition some of the better players. In my opinion, you will probably be splitting hairs between your current set up and a new player at that price point.

Another alternative is consider getting your current player modified. A few of us have gone that route. Not sure if the boys at Modwright will mod that player you have, but I think they modify certain denon CDPs. I suppose that if you get your player modified, you won't be using the DAC, then? They (the modders) normally swap out parts (caps, resistors, etc). I know a few people like reference audio mods.

I had my player modified and you could audition mine in your system if you want. It's still in the box since I last moved.

I am sure there are a TON of used players on the market that should satisfy your needs, too.

Erik

They (the modders) normally swap out parts (caps, resistors, etc). I know a few people like reference audio mods.
But the best modders have developed brand new output sections for the players they mod - this is what makes their product far superior over the numerous "part swappers" out there.

If you only have money to have a few things done now, then people like Modwright will do that for you. You can get a new clock, some power upgrades, etc. without having to go for the full-monty change at first. While this will not get you the new output stages, it is a very nice improvement over stock players. I had the partial mods done to my player and the sound quality equaled (listening tests at local store) players costing 3 times what I spent on the player and mods.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input thus far. EK, you really need to spend a day over here once the second Classe is hooked into the system (should be this weekend) and help me out to see what, if anything should be done. My budget is not really a budget as I could go and spend 3000 on a used CDP. But considering my recapture costs, I'd rather go with the ~1500 dollar set up if that amount can bring a truly superior CDP (used on Agon is ok) over my MF TriVista21 and Denon 3930CI which cost significantly more new when I purchased them. Keep the thoughts coming guys,
Adam

For close to your budget, you could pick up a used Marantz SA11-S1 CD/SACD player. I use one in my system and it is a great player. It produces a wonderful image and soundstage, and has a slight warmth to it. I'm sure there are lots of great other choices in your price range as well, especially buying used.

For a lot less money try one of these. I use this with a 2910 which is a fair transport but the combination is awesome. $45 restocking fee if you don't like it.

To add on to risabet for a different DAC to try from your MF. Channel Islands has their VDA-2 with the VAC-1 PS for under $800. And you can return in 30 days if you do not like it and only pay shipping for it.

But the best modders have developed brand new output sections for the players they mod - this is what makes their product far superior over the numerous "part swappers" out there.

If you only have money to have a few things done now, then people like Modwright will do that for you. You can get a new clock, some power upgrades, etc. without having to go for the full-monty change at first. While this will not get you the new output stages, it is a very nice improvement over stock players. I had the partial mods done to my player and the sound quality equaled (listening tests at local store) players costing 3 times what I spent on the player and mods.

Yes. I forgot about the output stage. Actually Spike had a terrific set of posts on modified CD players on this forum. He gave lots of insight into this topic.

Erik

Eknuds01, thanks for the reminder. I completely forgot about this little discussion on the modders and output stages. For those who want a reference, here is the link to Modified SACD players thread. Lots of info here.

Spike

Thank you all for your input thus far. EK, you really need to spend a day over here once the second Classe is hooked into the system (should be this weekend) and help me out to see what, if anything should be done. My budget is not really a budget as I could go and spend 3000 on a used CDP. But considering my recapture costs, I'd rather go with the ~1500 dollar set up if that amount can bring a truly superior CDP (used on Agon is ok) over my MF TriVista21 and Denon 3930CI which cost significantly more new when I purchased them. Keep the thoughts coming guys,
Adam

Adam -

Drop me a line if you are around on saturday/early sunday. I will be in DC saturday afternoon it looks like.

Then I have kickball sunday at the Mall.

Erik

Some options

Adamo,
The Denon 3930ci is a good universal player. If you want to keep it, you can take it to the next level by going with the rebuilt output stage from Reference Audio Mods. Now, if you really want to nail down the jitter issue as well, consider the clock upgrade for another $300. But be careful to ask how the clock board is installed. I've heard there were clock module boards (not necessary from Ref. Audio Mods) which were glued on and came apart during shipping!

Now, if you really want to go after CD only performance, consider the Raysonic 128 going on A'gon for about $1500 or less.

Spike

I currently use a Denon 3930ci as a transport and feed that via an audioquest VDM-5 digi coax to my Musical Fidelity TriVista 21 tube DAC. Then the signal is output to the Parasound 2100S Preamp via Audioquest King Cobras. Adam

Once upon a time had a MF TV21 and replaced it with a Benchmark DAC1 which I found to be much more articulate (clearer) in the low frequency ranges and sweeter in the higher frequency ranges. In fact, the MF, which is an excellent DAC, sounded downright muddy by comparison. This only became obvious when I switched from my Klipsch Ref series to The Summits. I also think you may need better ICs

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the continued opinions.
I see the Raysonic for a great price, but not sure I want tubes. I'm beginning to think I don't like my tube DAC vs the MF A3.24 DAC I used to have which is SS. I don't believe the ICs are the problem. I know that lately I've just been frustrated having to turn the DAC on 1/2 hr before I start listening waiting for the tubes to warm up. I like to be able to just pop down in the chair, power it all on, and go to work.
So far out of the options voiced, I like Rich's Marantz 11S1 which has nice reviews as a stand alone CDP and the Modified player output stage on the Denon with a Benchmark DAC1. I have a hard time a 1,000 DAC can beat the MF TV21, but It may mate better with my system. Everything is SS except for the DAC right now.
I'd love to hear about more Stand Alone CDPs that could best my set up if possible. It would save some rack space.
Adam

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the continued opinions.
I have a hard time a 1,000 DAC can beat the MF TV21, but It may mate better with my system. Everything is SS except for the DAC right now.
Adam

It may seem hard to you to believe, as it has been for many, however the DAC1 has wowed reviewers and users since 2004. I did a shoot out with my Theta Data Basic transport ( which I bought on Agon for $375) cobined with the DAC1 against several highly thought of stand alone solutions such as the Esoteric X03, Esoteric SA60, Shanling CDT100, Cary 300 and moded MF and while both the Esoterics both had slightly nicer sound IMHO I couldn't justify the huge differnce in price.

Part of the magic of the DAC1 lies in the fact that it wasn't designed for audiophile use but for studio use and therefore has a much broader market and therefore sells many more units than does the typical audiophile DAC. Because of the volume of units sold Benchmark is able to keep the price low and still cover costs without cutting corners. Build quality is top notch.

Last edited:
DJ,
I've definitely seen a lot of love for the Benchmark on the web. in fact, I haven't read anything negative about it.
In your opinion, would you say it could beat out this combo I'm currently looking at?
It's a Classe CDT-1 Transport with Classe DAC-1.

i purchased a DAC-1 from Benchmark today to see if the david can beat the goliath in my system. For less than 1K shipped to my door and with a 30 day trial, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. If this doesn't make much of a change, I will either choose one of the said CDP options here or mod my 3930CI and spend the 1500 there. I'm going to post about the fact I've finally received both of my CA-201s today and wow am I LOVING it. I have seriously moved up a notch on the audiophile scale today in my room. My ears are getting happy :music:

I heard a system today at a Cincinnati dealer that used a Wavelenght USB dac fed from a Mac laptop. It sounded really nice through a pair of Focal Small speakers with the Be tweeter (not sure what model ~$4300/pair). If you can believe the dealer, he told me that they originally had that source in their high end room, but felt the sound was uncomfortably close to their $17000 (Esoteric I think) player, so they moved it out of there.

Might be something to consider if you want a top flight source, at a more down to earth price than some of the other options.

Chuck

The Benchmark is in my system now and we'll see how that fairs. If not, I have been reading a lot of reviews on Cambridge audio azur 840C and the Marantz 11S1. Both have rave reviews and the Marantz is beautiful. I may just have to bite =) I spoke to Tweeter and they said If I buy the cambridge, they'll ship it to me and I can have a 30 trial.

Back