How good is my crossover???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crawdaddy

Reaction score
Hi Folks! I'm considering hooking up my Velodyne SPL1200 with my Ascent i's for 2CH. I currently only use the sub with my HT (Rotel RSP-1066 pre-pro). My 2 CH goes to an Odyssey Audio Candela > Extreme Monos. The Candela has a HT by-pass.

I see that my sub has RCA inputs and outputs and a low pass dial and gain (i think). So I guess I could connect my sub in between the Candela pre and the monos, correct? I would then just set my pre-pro (for HT) to read "no sub" and main speakers "large" (to get the full signal), correct?

I think if I do this then I can use my sub for 2ch too and the crossover will be analog.

So my question: how good is my built in Velodyne crossover? How important is the quality of the crossover to integrating a sub with Logans? How much better off would I be with a dedicated active crossover (like a Marchand, I think)?

So do you think the Velodyne crossover would degrade the performance of my Logans? :think:

Thanks! :cheers:

Crawdaddy,

I believe the method of connecting will work fine. Before anyone speculates on the crossover and other associated equipment you should have, try it. See how it sounds. It will take a day or two to dial it in then live with it for a week or so and see if you like it. I would use many recordings and see where it improves and where it may be too much.

As far as the HT setup, that is what I have done. I have the Rotel 1068 and this works for me. I would set the sub around 60Hz as a start. This may prove to be too high but it is a reference point to start from. Mine is set at 35!

I would use patience and understand everything is a compromise somewhere in the "chain" and that all recordings are not created equal. Above all, enjoy the journey because it will be very inexpensive and be fun to experiment with a new variable in your system.

Jeff:cool:

Thanks Jeff!

For clarity, are you using the digital crossover in your Rotel 1068 or are you using an analog crossover built into your sub between your pre and your main amps...with your 1068 setting your main speakers to "large and no sub"?

Thanks!

I am running directly out of my pre to the inputs of my sub. I am not using the built in cross-over. I am using the "filtering" (high frequency) and the 25Hz setting for the roll-off for 2 ch. For HT I am using the LFE input (sub out) from the 1068.
I am using the ML Depth. I am sure your connections are similar.

Jeff:cool:

Back