How do you hook up two amps simultaneously?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remoteportal

Reaction score
Because money is tight, for a while I'm going to try to use my Yamaha AX-570 amp for my Vistas and my Sony STR-DE475 amp for the surrounds, center, and sub. This way I can enjoy both music and movies until I spend the $2K on a real 5.1 processor.

Question is, how do I separate the signal between the two amps?

Option A: Divide the RCAs from the CD player and TV with Y-connectors into both amps. This isn't convenient because I have to change INPUT selector on both amps to switch between sources. QUESTION: will this adversely degrade signal quality... would it be noticeable sonically?

Option B: Connect sources to the Yamaha amp (only) and split the signal off to the Sony at the coupler stage (which I *think* separates Yamaha's pre-amp and amp sections?). Is this okay to do? This is hardwired with RCA plugs... see photo. Can I put a Y-connector here and run the shoot off to the Sony amp? If so, what source input would be best on the Sony? Aux?

Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance... I hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• DSCF8009.JPG
    DSCF8009.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 199
Use Option B. You can use the "Aux" or any other input on the Sony which gives you a reasonable level. The coupler does separate the pre and main sections; they have to be rejoined by using the Y.

Correct, Option B is the way to do it.

you will also need to calibrate the volume on the Sony to match what the Yamaha is doing. Then tape it down (or mark it) so you can reset if somone tampers with it.

Worked--but not very loud

Thanks for both of your suggestions.

The only problem is that I'm driving two ML Vignettes and they don't get very loud. I turn up my Sony 80wpc amp all the way to 30/MAX and then I hear the surround info BUT there is so much background hiss that it's super annoying.

Any ideas?

Back