Can I chain amps together: connect speaker output to input of 2nd amp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

remoteportal

Reaction score
Can I use my 5.1 Sony as my pre-amp/amp for my center, surrounds, and subwoofer, and somehow use a 2nd amp (Yamaha) to drive my Vistas?

I'd like plug my input sources (Blu-ray, DVD, etc.) to my Sony STR-DE475 since it's a 5.1 and it can decode DTS, etc. It's a cheap home entertainment amp but it's painfully inadequate to drive my Vistas.

My two channel Yamaha has slightly more power is electrically divided into two sections (pre/amp, see picture below). I'm hoping it can somehow do the main amplification of the Vistas taking it's source from the the LEFT/RIGHT channels from the Sony.

Bottom line, can I take the speaker output of Sony and somehow cable that to the input ("Main In") of my Yamaha AX-570 amp? Are those electrically compatible? I don't understand impedance or other technical issues.

Attachments

• DSCF8009.JPG
    DSCF8009.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 2,471
If you used the speaker output of the Sony to drive the Yamaha you would overload the Yamaha as the voltage levels would be too high. You would need to drop the voltage with a resistive network. This is what ML does with their powered woofers (Summits, etc).

You could instead connect the "Tape Out" of your Sony to an input on the Yamaha. Unfortunately this would mean that you would have to control the volume on the Sony and Yamaha independently of each other.

do a search for "convert speaker level to line level"... I found this one that includes variable gain adjust so you can match levels. http://www.hlabs.com/technical/audioaccessories/ It's about $25.

And another one from Amazon for only $15 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Of course you get what you pay for, so watch for power handling limitations and cheap components.

Or, ditch the Sony and find a better HT receiver with pre-outs. I think your whole system would thank you for the investment.

Cheers

Bottom line, can I take the speaker output of Sony and somehow cable that to the input ("Main In") of my Yamaha AX-570 amp? Are those electrically compatible? I don't understand impedance or other technical issues.

You most certainly can not do that. But you are on the right track.

If your receiver has the same analogue "pre out" AND a way to adjust the level for this (independent of the speaker level outputs [very important as the 2-channel amp will have different sensitivitiy]) then what you can do is go from the receiver's pre-out to the 2-channel amp's main in.

Alternatively (and arguably a better option), you can connect the pre-out from the receiver to a standard input on your 2-channel amp. Then configure the pre-out level to a particular volume setting on the 2-channel amp that is easy to replicate (eg. 12 o'clock). Now, connect up your serious sources to the 2-channel amp also. That way, you've got your receiver for surround when you want it, but it is completely removed from the signal chain when you are listening to serious sources directly.

Hey Adam, some people do consider home theatre "serious". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

You most certainly can not do that. But you are on the right track.

If your receiver has the same analogue "pre out" AND a way to adjust the level for this (independent of the speaker level outputs [very important as the 2-channel amp will have different sensitivitiy]) then what you can do is go from the receiver's pre-out to the 2-channel amp's main in.

Alternatively (and arguably a better option), you can connect the pre-out from the receiver to a standard input on your 2-channel amp. Then configure the pre-out level to a particular volume setting on the 2-channel amp that is easy to replicate (eg. 12 o'clock). Now, connect up your serious sources to the 2-channel amp also. That way, you've got your receiver for surround when you want it, but it is completely removed from the signal chain when you are listening to serious sources directly.

I don't think his Sony 5.1 rcvr has the pre-out option... otherwise he'd be all set.

I don't think his Sony 5.1 rcvr has the pre-out option... otherwise he'd be all set.

Sorry - I'm not familiar with it. If it doesn't have pre-outs then ignore my post - although it might be worth upgrading?

Last edited:
Hey Adam, some people do consider home theatre "serious". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Absolutely - and yes, there is nothing wrong with that.

That was just my opinion, and I guess it's irrelevant here. Sorry.

But in this case I think it is reasonable to assume the OP considers 2-channel more serious than multi-channel by virtue that he has Vistas on the main channels and (by implication) lesser speakers on the surrount channels.

To confirm this assumption, he also has a reasonable 2-channel amplifier, but a lesser quality multi-channel amplifier.

And finally, the whole gist of this post is [words to the effect of] "how can I get better quality sound out of my main front speakers (2-channel) while I am using poor quality gear for my surround system".

So all up - reasonable assumption maybe? But I'm happy to stand corrected.

Last edited:
although it might be worth upgrading?

yep... I think upgrading is the appropriate next step. Save whatever money/effort would go into an attenuator and search around for a decent 5.1 rcvr with pre-outs. They're out there and they're not that much money... especially if used.

Back