Hoping to Learn

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjs999

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm an audiophile that always had coned speakers but always had a fascination with panels (ML/Maggie). I went from Paradigm Titans way back in the early 90's to my current speakers, Merlin TSM Mme. The only ML I heard was a SL3 driven by a Audio Research D200/Reference 1. I was mightly impressed with the speed, clarity, soundstage width and depth, I was not impressed (to say the least) with the woofer/panel integration (or should I say lack of integration).

Anyway, I have the bug again to switch something in my system and I thought I'd look at panels again.

My main problem is in amplification: 55 tubed watts is all I have (CJ MV60SE). I'm hoping to learn that this is enough to drive a ML (which one???) in my 12x20x10 room.

Cheers,

Jason

I had a Condrad Johnson MV60 and found it could power my ML Scenarios very easily. Then when I moved up to the Monolith the MV60 lacked the power I needed for good bass. I then bi amped my Monoliths with the MV60 and a Carver A-500x (MV60 powering the panel and the A-500x on the woofer). The Monoliths came alive.

So my thoughts are this. The MV60 is good enough to powervar a small ML speaker. I also feel the MV60 can easily power any of the newer active speakers like the Summits or Vantage. The MV60 will run of juice for any of of the older large passive speakers from ML.

Last edited:
Jason, welcome ! ....... and ditto to Cherians advice. The Vantages would do nicely in your size room. I had them prior to Spire's and was very pleased.

I had a Condrad Johnson MV60 and found it could power my ML Scenarios very easily. Then when I moved up to the Monolith the MV60 lacked the power I needed for good bass. I then bi amped my Monoliths with the MV60 and a Carver A-500x (MV60 powering the panel and the A-500x on the woofer). The Monoliths came alive.

So my thoughts are this. The MV60 is good enough to powervar a small ML speaker. I also feel the MV60 can easily power any of the newer active speakers like the Summits or Vantage. The MV60 will run of juice for any of of the older large passive speakers from ML.

Thanks so much for your reply. I really appriciate it. I have some to go by now.

My main problem is in amplification: 55 tubed watts is all I have (CJ MV60SE). I'm hoping to learn that this is enough to drive a ML (which one???) in my 12x20x10 room.
Your room is not huge, but I'd still want more power going into an old pair of Aerius speakers. Many of the old Aerius models are bi-wired so you can pick up an old Rotel or Sunfire and drive the bass with the solid state.

Better yet I think many off the newer M/L models have self powered bass sections so that lower powered tube units will match properly.

Back