High End ($$$$) CD/SACD Players

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There was a recent discussion in another thread regarding the need to spend megabucks (more than 5 grand) on a multi-format player to get the true performance available out of the SACD format. While I don't necessarily subscribe to that statement, it did get me thinking about some of the truly high end players out there and whether anyone on this forum has had much experience with them.

The players I would love to hear, but haven't had the chance, include:

Esoteric X01D2
Wadia 581SE
EMM Labs CDSA SE

Just curious if anyone on the forum has had experience with any of these players or others in this price range that you would like to share.

Im not an EMM Fan, but they make great gear. Own the Wadia and it's a fantastic piece. If you get a 581, I would suggest the i model so that you get the digital ins and outs in case you ever want to hook up a music server, laptop or iPod

My personal fav is still the Naim 555!!!

Rich, I haven't heard the ones you mention, but the best I have heard is the dcs stack at an audio shop in Austin and the Meridian 808, which i had in my system for audition over a 3 day weekend. The Meridian was truly special but not great price /performance ratio compared to the Ayre C5xe, which I ended up buying. Yet, I still find myself using my tubed Sonic Frontiers DAC when listening to CDs.

Last edited:
Goldmund Eidos 20 - the most realistic, accurate, engaging sound I've ever heard. Period.

The SRCD was also pretty good.

Attachments

• eidos20_34.jpg
    eidos20_34.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 599
Ths $5000 I mentioned are not eur translated into $. And I was probably too tolerant, $5000 is too little.

Of course you can listen at SACD's on OPPO's... but if you really want to beat the CD format and what a good CD player - or a good player + DAC combo - can output, by using the SACD format, you really need to fork out a heap of dough.

Hint: an Esoteric is not enough....

P.S. The Goldmund mentioned above costs 17'000 $.

Last edited:
Of course you can listen at SACD's on OPPO's... but if you really want to beat the CD format and what a good CD player - or a good player + DAC combo - can output, by using the SACD format, you really need to fork out a heap of dough.

And the wonderfully expensive incredibly sounding players which you have experienced and been amazed by would be . . . ?

And the wonderfully expensive incredibly sounding players which you have experienced and been amazed by would be . . . ?

Accuphase, Burmester, MBL...

You know what, Rich,... over here in Europe we don't use bows and arrows to shop for meat nor we do slime out from under a rock in order to do it... we do have credit cards and of course HiFi shows...

Last edited:
I use a Wadia 581i going straight into a pair of Electrocompaniet AW220 mono amps driving Summits. It sounds wonderful with Redbook CDs and noticeably even better with SACDs. I also use it as a DAC with a Squeezebox SB3 feeding into the digital input and I'm very impressed with how well that setup works for me. I was using an Electrocompaniet ECD-1Up SE before the Wadia.

I also have an Oppo 980 universal player and an older Sony 333ES SACD player that I've had for a few years. I'm not real impressed with the SACD feature of the Oppo but the DVD-A and video performance of the Oppo is excellent for such a low budget piece.

I'm very happy with the Wadia and it performs at the level I was looking for as well as having volume control and digital inputs.

Last edited:
.. over here in Europe we don't use bows and arrows to shop for meat nor we do slime out from under a rock in order to do it... we do have credit cards and of course HiFi shows...

Sounds like your jealous that you didn't get to play 'Cowboys and Indians" when you were young !

Accuphase, Burmester, MBL...

You know what, Rich,... over here in Europe we don't use bows and arrows to shop for meat nor we do slime out from under a rock in order to do it... we do have credit cards and of course HiFi shows...

No need to educate me on European culture. I have spent months traveling all over western Europe, including your fine country. I also have several close friends who are German, Swiss, English, and Swedish. I don't doubt your abilities nor your knowledge and experience, by the way. I just don't find generalized statements very helpful. Posts providing descriptions based on personal experience, like TonyC, Tonepub, Amey01, and Craig shared, are what I find truly engaging and enlightening and those types of posts are why I participate in this forum in the first place.

I have heard Burmester gear and I have to say I wasn't impressed. The all-Burmester top-of-the-line $100,000 system I auditioned sounded flat and lifeless. Imaging and soundstaging were non-existent. Probably the dealer had it set up poorly -- I don't know. I have never listened to Accuphase or MBL although I imagine it is top-notch. How does the sound differ from the likes of the top Esoteric or Wadia gear?

I upgraded my source from a Jolida JD100 to a ModWright modified Sony 9100ES (Signature Truth Mod w/ tube rectified PS). I've been very happy ever since. Switching out the stock 5687 Tung Sol's for 7119 Amperex's has made a world of difference. YMMV.

Can we talk about some other top-notch CD players we've heard (and our opinions of same)? This was getting interesting. Anyone heard Zanden stuff?

Rich, I haven't heard the ones you mention, but the best I have heard is the dcs stack at an audio shop in Austin and the Meridian 808, which i had in my system for audition over a 3 day weekend. The Meridian was truly special but not great price /performance ratio compared to the Ayre C5xe, which I ended up buying. Yet, I still find myself using my tubed Sonic Frontiers DAC when listening to CDs.

You know what - the C5-xe probably has the best price/performance ratio of any component out there!

Ths $5000 I mentioned are not eur translated into $. And I was probably too tolerant, $5000 is too little.

P.S. The Goldmund mentioned above costs 17'000 $.

Lugano,

I don't think anyone here thinks that the mega pricey CD/SACD players aren't better than their lower priced counterpoints, but don't you think there's a point of diminishing returns - especially in CD players?

I haven't listened to players like Esoteric, Bermester, etc but I have listened to a few players that cost a fair amount more than the one I have now. I don't think I can justify spending $5000 (nearly 5x what I put into my modded Sony). What's the point of dropping 20k on a player? That's nearly double the price of a new pair of Summits!

Do you really think that a cd player that runs 10,15, or $20,000 is that much better than a 'run of the mill' Oppo or Rotel?

You know what - the C5-xe probably has the best price/performance ratio of any component out there!

I have heard very good things about the C5-xe online....How much are they - and do they do sacd - or just cd --- I can find that out at the website... But, how would this player compare to a modded player such as the Modwright?

I still think the mod route is the way to go....

Timm, the C5xe plays CD, SACD, DVDA, DVD (Dolby and DTS), but only 2 channel and only audio. I do believe it is the best bang for the buck even though it costs 5K plus. Since it has a balanced digital out it can be used as a transport connected to a DAC. I use a Sonic Frontiers SFD 3 that I bought during the late 90's and had updated by the SF folks after the company had already folded. Tubed bliss on CD, but the C5 is no slouch on its own! The remote control, however, sucks!

I have heard very good things about the C5-xe online....How much are they - and do they do sacd - or just cd --- I can find that out at the website... But, how would this player compare to a modded player such as the Modwright?

I still think the mod route is the way to go....

You will never know for sure unless you double blind tests. You can spend mega bucks and you will get a different sound - not necessarily a better sound. C5-Xe is the real deal, and as has been said above, the best value (quality per $) on the planet. Check out ayre.com for more info on reviews.

I don't think anyone here thinks that the mega pricey CD/SACD players aren't better than their lower priced counterpoints, but don't you think there's a point of diminishing returns - especially in CD players?

Eknuds, maths are simple. What I stated is: In order to make a sensible, audible and enjoyable difference between redbook and SACD you need to fork out at least $5000.

I am still supporting this idea.

spend $ 1k on a cd player and on a sacd player, no difference.
spend $3k on a cd player - huge and great redbook sound - hard to beat with a $3000 SACD jack-of-all-trades player.

Now, take a $5000 cd player - it will only marginally improve over the $3000 CD player, but in the SACD realm miracles will happen.

That's all.

Lugano,

I haven't listened to players like Esoteric, Bermester, etc but I have listened to a few players that cost a fair amount more than the one I have now. I don't think I can justify spending $5000 (nearly 5x what I put into my modded Sony). What's the point of dropping 20k on a player? That's nearly double the price of a new pair of Summits!

Do you really think that a cd player that runs 10,15, or $20,000 is that much better than a 'run of the mill' Oppo or Rotel?

It is all relative I suppose. I have owned an Oppo and compared it to CDPs costing 5k and 8K. Yes they were all obviously better then the 200 dollar Oppo. Were they 5, 10 or 20 times better NO WAY! But yes they were better and worth the investment for me.

Remember 20k v 5k is all relative (there I go back to that word) in this hobby. Is 20k too much money for a CDP when your system retails for 200k probably not. Is 5k to much for a CDP if you system retails for 10k probably.

All I know as I have gone up in CDP price ranges they have gotten better. I know the argument I am just dreaming the improvement because I spent so much money. But to me each CDP has been better.

My next CDP which I am not sure what it will be yet will probably be more that 10k but the price is worth it to me because I think it makes my system sound better.

Back