Help with pre-amp!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubar1764

Reaction score
Help with pre-amp choice!

Howdy Folks!
Ok, old Denon receiver is finally dying! :rocker: Now, I can finally get the separates system I want. :D

I've got a set of Aerius i's. (Under)powered them with a 20+y.o. Denon. Now, I just picked up an Adcom 545II (a friend has the older 555 powering Acoustats, and they sound fantastic). I'm thinking of an Adcom preamp as well. I'm thinking of the GTP-500II or GTP-450. The missus requires a remote, I require either no HT or at least a pass through circuit so I don't have to have HT if I don't want it.

Sidebar: I really don't like HT. It might seem like a great idea, but I've always found the sound distracting unless you're sitting at exactly the right sweet spot. If you're not, then one channel always predominates over the others, particularly the rears or nearfields. With properly set up 2ch, you don't need a center.

So, what preamp should I get? I've heard great things about the older Adcoms. My friend's is nearly a passive preamp and nearly a pass-through. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer older gear because I have this prejudice that the older equiment from the late 80s up to mid 90s were very well built, with quality dropping thereafter.

Budget. Not sure yet, but I'm a bargain hunter. I paid retail for my DVDO iScan Pro and thought I got a bargain. Sell me a new Bose Acoustamass at 50% off (hell, offer to give it to me) on the condition that I can't ever resell it or give it to someone, I'll pass. Mind you, I don't think I'm going to go crazy and pick up a Theta Digital Casablanca - that's a bit out of my price range. But, I might get talked into a Creek!

Ok. Did I clarify what I'm looking for or does my post sound like it came out of kazoo? A clear kazoo at least?

To recap: want preamp. Drive Aerius i's (non biwire) via Adcom GFA-545II. Budget depends, looking for good bang/buck ratio. Mostly 2ch, rarely 5ch. Likely add a sub via a passive crossover much much later in the future.

Oh yeah. Prefer American or English. Just tend to like the warmer sound. Japanese equipment just seems too mechanical to me.

Last edited:
Howdy Folks!
Ok, old Denon receiver is finally dying! :rocker: Now, I can finally get the separates system I want. :D

I've got a set of Aerius i's. (Under)powered them with a 20+y.o. Denon. Now, I just picked up an Adcom 545II (a friend has the older 555 powering Acoustats, and they sound fantastic). I'm thinking of an Adcom preamp as well. I'm thinking of the GTP-500II or GTP-450. The missus requires a remote, I require either no HT or at least a pass through circuit so I don't have to have HT if I don't want it.

Sidebar: I really don't like HT. It might seem like a great idea, but I've always found the sound distracting unless you're sitting at exactly the right sweet spot. If you're not, then one channel always predominates over the others, particularly the rears or nearfields. With properly set up 2ch, you don't need a center.

So, what preamp should I get? I've heard great things about the older Adcoms. My friend's is nearly a passive preamp and nearly a pass-through. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer older gear because I have this prejudice that the older equiment from the late 80s up to mid 90s were very well built, with quality dropping thereafter.

Budget. Not sure yet, but I'm a bargain hunter. I paid retail for my DVDO iScan Pro and thought I got a bargain. Sell me a new Bose Acoustamass at 50% off (hell, offer to give it to me) on the condition that I can't ever resell it or give it to someone, I'll pass. Mind you, I don't think I'm going to go crazy and pick up a Theta Digital Casablanca - that's a bit out of my price range. But, I might get talked into a Creek!

Ok. Did I clarify what I'm looking for or does my post sound like it came out of kazoo? A clear kazoo at least?

To recap: want preamp. Drive Aerius i's (non biwire) via Adcom GFA-545II. Budget depends, looking for good bang/buck ratio. Mostly 2ch, rarely 5ch. Likely add a sub via a passive crossover much much later in the future.

Oh yeah. Prefer American or English. Just tend to like the warmer sound. Japanese equipment just seems too mechanical to me.

Having come from an Adcom 555II preamp (from around 1992) I can say pieces from that time frame were built quite robust. I had that preamp for about 12 years without any issues. I sold it more more that 1/2 of what I paid for it after 12 years (not too shabby). The 555II suffered from tinny/screechy highs and seemed a bit muffled in the lower frequences, which wasn't real noticeable until I got my SL3s.

The 565II got very good reviews in the day and can be had for about $250 on Agon (not sure of your budget). From what I understand from my long ago research, the 565 and the 555 were somewhat similar in sound quality.

Not that I've had much experience with various pre's, but I replaced Adcom with a PS Audio PCA-2 with a huge jump in sound quality. No experience with the GTP-500 or GTP-450, but I would think that they might have the same issues as the 555 (but I could easily be wrong).

Last edited:
hello, Welcome ! I'm a tube pre-amp guy, check my previous posts regarding "sticking with your ABC's" , thats ARC,BAT,CJ,or Cary. excellent companies that at least one would suit your tastes/needs for sure !! If not have your hearing checked !!!

Good Luck !

I also suggest a tube pre, which will add a touch of warmth to the "brighter" Adcom sound.

My first ML's were also Aerius i's, and I initially drove them with a Yamaha RX-V1000, thinking they sounded great. I, likewise, bought an Adcom 545II (using the Yamaha as a pre/pro), which provided an even better soundstage, albeit a little bright. It wasn't until I stepped up to a Sunfire Cinema Grand (vertically biamped to the Aerius'), paired with a Modwright tube pre, that I *REALLY* heard how those Aerius' could sing. I would have lived happily with that setup for quite some time, had I not contracted Joeyitis, for which the ONLY cure was to acquire the Summits.

Along with the ARC, BAT, CJ, or Cary names, I would add Modwright to that esteemed list (used ones can be had on A'gon for ~$1600).

Ultimately, the synergy between preamp-amp-speaker-room acoustics all comes into play. If at all possible, I strongly suggest AUDITIONING different Pre's before buying.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, I've never tried tubes. Funny my friend with the 555 also suggested tube amps after I picked up the 545. :p

Tube preamp, huh? I might look into that. As for price, I think I'd better keep it under $500 or thereabouts for now lest She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed be displeased and bring pestilence and misery upon us. :eek: Cary, CJ, ARC, et al are probably aspirational for me right now. But good to know the hobby will continue! :cheers:

I think I will try to audition some tube preamps. Again, thanks!

Any thoughts on particular preamps at the sub $500 price point?

good Morning furbear, do yourself a favor, save up and extra couple of hundred and you can easily get into the used ARC and CJ pre's. For example a ARC SP-9mkII can be had for $700-900 and can be taken to another level down the road by Steve Huntley if you so desire.

Last edited:
good Morning furbear, do yourself a favor, save up and extra couple of hundred and you can easily get into the used ARC and CJ pre's. For example and ARC SP-9mkII can be had for $700-900 and can be taken to another level down the road by Steve Huntley if you so desire.

I agree with Dave. Save up a few extra bucks and get a descent entry level tube pre-amp. I've seen a lot of nice older Sonic Frontiers tubed units recently on A-gon. My first tube pre-amp was a Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 that I picked up for $900.00 and it was wonderful. You could probably find that same pre-amp for less today and it will satisfy I'm sure. Once you try a tubed pre-amp you'll likely never look back.

Last edited:
Well here's my .02 cents worth: While I have never owned a tube preamp I have owned a few solid state preamps. My favorite thus far has to be the Rega Cursa 3(made in the UK). It is very very basic and does not have many frills, but all the work has went into keeping the signal as direct and simple as possible. If you are looking for an elegant yet simplistic preamp I would at least pull up their website and check it out. I have seen a couple of used ones on audiogon before but I can't recall the price at this time. I bought mine new for $1,395 and it sounds fantastic with my Aeon i's. And oh yea, I also have an Adcom amp(gfa 5802) and they compliment each other very well. Hope this helps and enjoy your adcom amp with whatever preamp you end up with.

Well. I had lunch with a friend of mine who has had quite a bit of experience with tubes. From what I gathered, tubes sound great, but there's a lot more issues than solid state. Thank you tube-fans for all the advice, but I think we're going to go with solid state. Lifestyle choice for now. ;)

but there's a lot more issues than solid state. Thank you tube-fans for all the advice, but I think we're going to go with solid state. QUOTE]

Alot more "issues" than solid state ???? Power amp maybe / yes, pre-amp Not at all ! I doubt very much that any of the members of this forum that are using a Tube pre and SS amp would argue this point.

but there's a lot more issues than solid state. Thank you tube-fans for all the advice, but I think we're going to go with solid state. QUOTE]

Alot more "issues" than solid state ???? Power amp maybe / yes, pre-amp Not at all ! I doubt very much that any of the members of this forum that are using a Tube pre and SS amp would argue this point.

Nope, never, ever had a problem with any of my tubed phono or pre-amp's. I've owned Sonic Frontiers, Balanced Audio Technology and Aesthetix. Stay with a good - name brand comapny and you won't have any issues.

My nomination for a good used preamp would be a Audible Illusions 2D it can be had for $400.00 hard to beat at that price. It's tubed (6922 types) and it also has a nice tubed phono section, it's fun and easy to tube roll with (2 tubes line, 2 tubes phono)

Last edited:
First, I want to thank everyone for advice! Whew! I've got a lot to learn! And to think my other friends come to me for audio advice!!!

Oh, I misunderstood my friend about tube preamps. He said the problems with tubes is mostly with amps because they're pulling much higher loads. Good clarification.

Well, I was poking around, trying to do more research on the suggested gear from everyone here. Someone else recommended Classe so I looked there too. And then I ran across a Linn Wakonda for a very reasonable price. Make a long story short, I picked up the Wakonda for $450 shipped. :cheers: I'll play with it for a little while and see how I like it. I'll probably post a very amatuer review of it sometime soon. ;)

So later, I'll probably pick up one of the other preamps that's been suggested and A/B it to the Wakonda and see what happens. Should be fun! Oh no! Am I turning into a gear swapper in search of audio nerdvana? :eek: :musicnote:

Tube preamps are pretty much bullet proof... no biasing like you would do on a tube amp (or integrated) and the tube life is very long, probably longer than you would be willing to keep said unit!

Joey

Latest posts

Back