Help the newb decide

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navi

Reaction score
So Im on the lower end of the Martin Logan owners spectrum than most of what I have seen (more like drooled over) on this site but figured Id drop in and get opinions.

My HT setup is currently 4 montages and a grotto, Im now in the market for the center channel. Im thinking about the matinee or the motif with a big question mark as to whats the difference between the two. They appear very similar with the only thing Im noticing is a difference in the midrange??? Again please correct me on that if Im missing something.

The plans in the near future are to upgrade to a better set of fronts after the reciever is upgraded with a possible amp.

I mainly use the setup for movies, but occasionally like to sit down to a good musical performace. Any suggestions as to whether either of these two are for me or if I should step back a notch and get a fresco?

The plans in the near future are to upgrade to a better set of fronts after the reciever is upgraded with a possible amp.

I mainly use the setup for movies, but occasionally like to sit down to a good musical performace. Any suggestions as to whether either of these two are for me or if I should step back a notch and get a fresco?

Here is my opinion for what its worth! I listened to both the "Matinee" and the "Motif" and there is a quality difference in them. You said you will be upgrading and as the center is extremely important in a multi-channel system why would you go backwards and grab a Fresco or a Vignette? Your vocals and main music come out of your center channel, How many times have you been at someones home or even in your home with older 5.1 systems and struggled to hear the words in a movie or music. I have been there and it sucks. Never, never cheap out on a center channel, it is the main part of any 5.1 system speaker wise. You can have Summits in the front and Vistas as your rears but unless your center is good your 5.1 system will "SUCK"!

I dont know how you will be using the center channel, will it be mounted or on a shelf? Whats nice about the Motif over Matinee is the Motif comes with a stand the speaker sits on. It is platsic but is adjustable, so you can change the pitch of the speaker up and down. This is a very nice touch and helps if your putting below the screen as you can raise the front angle and point it up at you. You could basically put it on the floor and still have it pointed up to you and its also incldes wall mounts. The set back to wall mounting a Motif Or Matinee is no adjustemnt in angle like the way higher priced "Stage" ! The Stages bracket that you see in the website at ML is the exact bracket for both wall mounting and table sitting.

Talk to people hear on the site, I and other have the Motif in a Ht(aka 5.1 or 7.1) set up and love it. There is a quality difference that more than justicifies the extra $300. Its a no brainer if your deciding between the Matinee or Motif since there is only a $300 difference in price. Jump on the Motif at $1695 new or lower used and youll never be sorry. The Motif works well with Vista's, Vantage's, Sources, Purity's and if your going to be changing you fronts and on limited budget my guess is you'll be grabbing on of those I named.

Why get Motif?
1) Blends well with Vistas, Vantagess, Sources, Purity.
2) True ESL Panel (unlike Fresco or Vigs)
3) Dual 5.25 woofers ( Touch more natural sound in action movies over 4.0")
3) Adjustable stand!
4) Can choose color besides black (available in dark cherry)
5) Wider coverage area with panel.
6) Part of the ESL series( Not entry design series)
7) Wider coverage area
8) Sweet vocals on movies and Music
9) With the Motif you wont have to change the Center as you keep updating your fronts!

I love my Motif, I use it for Movies!
1)action Movies
2)Comedy Movies
3) dramas
4) Horror
5)Sci-fi
6) Muiscals ( Delovely- beyoung the sea and others)
I can hear ever word said and dont ask anyone what that person said!

I use it for Muisc
1> SACD in Multi-channel
2> Dvd-Audio Multi-channel
3> Dvd Concerts Multi Channel

Motif appears to be all music type friendly. It does well with Male Vocal as well as Femal vocals. Works well with Heavy Meta, Rock, New Age, Progressive Rock, Techno, Classical, Opera, Jazz, Blues, Country, etc.
Plus everyone seems to be looking for a used one and its one center you never can find used, everyone that has one loves it for its performace and Price. You buy it and you can resale it anyday you desire. I want a STAGE but at this point cant Justify the $1300 extra!

Hope this helps, if you lived in Northern Arkansas or Southern Missouri I would say come on over and listen to mine. Anyone in my area is more than welcome to drop me a line and i'll be glad to let them hear my system if it helps them decide whats right for them!

Best of Luck and let me know what you decide to get.
Sincerely, Mike

PS> My Vote is Motif!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why get Motif?
1) Blends well with Vistas, Vantagess, Sources, Purity.
2) True ESL Panel (unlike Fresco or Vigs)
3) Dual 5.25 woofers ( Touch more natural sound in action movies over 4.0")
3) Adjustable stand!
4) Can choose color besides black (available in dark cherry)
5) Wider coverage area with panel.
6) Part of the ESL series( Not entry design series)
7) Wider coverage area
8) Sweet vocals on movies and Music
9) With the Motif you wont have to change the Center as you keep updating your fronts!

These are reasons I wouldn't get the Motif and would go with the Fresco. If you have the Montages, why not match it with a speaker which is of the same type? The Montages use the ATF and have aluminum cones. The Fresco has two ATF speakers and is a really nice speaker. I have it as the center channel in my HT set up and it creates a really nice field with the Mosaics I have (I have two Montages as well and it worked well with them).

If Navi was interested in upgrading, I would agree with you. He hasn't said that. I have had this set up for years with no interest in upgrading. I think it would work very well.

If Navi was interested in upgrading, I would agree with you. He hasn't said that. I have had this set up for years with no interest in upgrading. I think it would work very well.

And I quote Navi Here:

End Of quote.

Daryl Zero you just probably missed the line, but its there. I agree with you if he never wants to upgrade then your suggestions on matching the Montages is right on.

Have a great day.

Both of you bring up very solid and valid point for both situations (upgrading in the future and not.) Im thinking the upgrade will be to Vistas for the front and either doing away with a pair of the montages or using them in a 7.1 setup. Most likely they will just get thrown in the bedroom for a decent stereo setup.

I think I have been convinced into Motif, it just seems like the all around best choice with many people giving it reviews over some of the higher units. Its not too bulky, but seems to offer a wide enough stage for my taste. We will just have to see what I walk out with the next time Im in Houston.

Thanks to both of you for your opinions. I like how on this board opinion are backed with reasoning unlike others where people just give you an answer and dont explain their thinking (if there was any.)

Well everyones least favorite chain store has a 15% of sale going on so that just motivated me in getting the motif, should have one tomorrow :rocker:

Thanks for the advice, opinions, and knowledge offered on this post and others.

Hello,
Navi, congrats on your purchase. With the Center Channel playing such a prominent role, you made an excellent decision. Daryl Zero, I really liked your movie. The Greyboy Allstars contributions to the soundtrack were quite good.
Cheers,
M.L

Man I am in love, just got it all hooked up and had some guys from Dallas come down and do my prewire in the house. Without anytime for breakin Im still leary of cranking it to them but on a safe volume its just crystal clear to say the least, I cant imagine what its gonna do with upgraded fronts later on.

And two thumbs up for Elite A/V for doing the install, they are based out of Dallas but will travel based on the job. Check em out at www.eliteavi.com

Back