Help me split 2-ch off on modest budget

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jk319

Reaction score
Well, Im working on my new PJ setup. I am more or less forced to spin off my Summits (unfortunately into a very modest room :( ). I need a new set of HT mains, and at least an integrated for the Summits. A couple of introductory questions and or concerns.

Im keeping the Fresco-i for center channel HT usage. Now, at first I looked towards the Montages, because they should be more ideally matched, and I simply love the ATFs. However, these speakers are going to be quite close to the corner, and I realized that they are di-poles. Im afraid of acoustical issues. And I should be, right?

What speakers would someone recommend, even if from a different brand? I thought about PSB Images, since my surrounds/rears are. They are great HT speakers on a budget, because they can crank. Decent sensitivity and extension, especially considering the street price point. I also enjoy the idea of trying yet another brand... but anyone have ideas? I presently have the belief that matching is over-rated particularly for HT, but Im all ears.

Next, for the integrated (or possibly separates). While I was originally going to throw up to 3k, my new HT rig is draining a lot of funds. But I need something (no other pre/pro or amp in possesion). Even if some sort of temporary solution. Would you guys consider the Outlaw integrated for $650 as a decent stop-gap, considering the very modest room? I've seen used Cambridge and Arcam go for around $500 as well. (I could always start a new office or bedroom mini-system whenever this gets replaced).

Thanks for any advice.

Don't know your budget for the HT mains but based on my brief listening experience to the ML "Purity", coupled with the rave review of the "Source" (non amplified version of the Purity) in the TAS March 08 issue, would highly recommend an audition.

The Purity, as auditioned in a less than ideal environment, has the ML house sound in spades. I was impressed given the fact that they were not set up anywhere close to optimum, were probably not broken in, and were being driven by good but mid fi components.

Source $2K / pair, Purity $3K / pair.

Hope that helps.

GG

PS: Regarding a non ML speaker, I would recommend a serious listen to Definitive Technology.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, GG.

Im not sure about the budget either, but I've been considering a couple of different brands/models from $650-$950 so far. Thanks for the DefTech rec, I nearly forgot about them. Im sure this question gets asked a lot about their speakers, but if they have built in subs, am I to split the LFE signal 3-ways? I did listen to the Purity's last year, and thought of them as the ultimate-office-speaker, hehe. I don't think I can really do electrostats (or any dipole) properly for HT mains in my setup. Typical dynamic speakers are going to allow me more compromise in placement, less visual distraction (also from reflected/scattered light that I see on the 'stats so far), and hopefully better pricing.

Maybe I can try a pair of DTs from BestBuy or something. I am a little curious about the new entry-level Yamaha for $550 as an HT pre that they should be selling. I don't know if it has separate x-over points per channel available (or just as one universal x-over point chosen).

Im leaning towards trying out that Outlaw as well.

thanks.

Just out of curiousity... do you really HAVE to move your Summits? It's possible to integrate a serious two-channel setup with a good HT setup (if acoustics and room size permit). Although it can be done without one, using a high-end Pre that includes Home Theater Bypass, allows you to use a multi-channel receiver (or processor), and feed the FRONT outputs separately to the Summits. You can incorporate a separate Sub (even two) for the LFE channel. That's what I've done, with the only weakness being some room acoustic issues, that I'm working on.

IMO, yes. Im doing seating for 8, + 2 beanbags is the plan. 159" screen. Great Worthy Summits being choked on themselves stuffed in the corners is a crime IMO. No space to bring them out, like they deserve to have. The room is also not symmetrical. And, the reflections visible on the stats are very distracting (at a blank wall at least, screen won't be here for 1-2 weeks). Nevermind the smaller sweetspot for 10 viewers. Lastly, smaller concern, the speaker wires I bought for them wouldn't reach. It still is sort of a shame, I agree, but hey, Im going to have an amazing theater, (well, IMO :D ).

I've been dreaming of splitting off the 2-ch for a while as well.

I need a new set of HT mains . . . Im keeping the Fresco-i for center channel HT usage.

What about a pair of Fresco i for the mains? That would keep your sound matched across the front three speakers and these should do fine in a corner used for home theater mains.

It is a worthy idea. While I think they do a fabulous (really fabulous) job with dialogue, they are very limited in extension. Knowing what the Summits were putting out before during HT, I know there is plenty of full-range signals sent to the mains on many movie tracks. I'd really like to have "full-range" towers. I know I'll be missing the added oomph of 4x 10" alum drivers powered by 200w ice amps each, thats for sure. I'll buy another sub someday if need be. But for now, I'll take dynamic towers with decent extension... I think. I won't be "matched", and I hardly expect anything at my pricepoint to come close to the vocal abilities of the fresco-i, but OTOH, I am hoping to be incredibly visually distracted. :D

Thanks Rich for your reply...

Your welcome. I understand your quandary, as I have Summits for my mains in my home theater and would be loathe to give them up. But if you have a sub and have your processor setup correctly to send low frequencies to the sub, it shouldn't matter so much. They say 70% of the sound in a movie soundtrack is directed toward the center channel anyway. So if you are going to use the fresco i for that, I would think it wouldn't hurt to use them for the mains as well.

I have had the def. tech towers as my mains before (BP 2002 model). When I upgraded from those to a pair of ascents and a descent, there was no going back. I don't recommend them for your situation. They are also dipolar speakers and placement is critical to get proper sound out of them. They would not match well at all with the fresco i either, in my opinion.

I wish you the best of luck finding something that works for you. Perhaps you could get the oomph you are looking for by going with a pair of the fresco i and a pair of depth i's. I know this is starting to get expensive.

How 'bout the Mirage line of speakers, with their Omnipolar models? I've read good things about them, but haven't actually heard them.

Guys,

I ordered the Cambridge 840a in silver from Decibel audio last night. Partly in surrender, LOL.

Im now thinking of an Onkyo 805 as an HT pre. For $150 more (street) than the Yammy, it has Audyssey MultiEQ XT, BurrBrowns, Ultra2, and more future flexibility. I don't care about the beefier amp section, nor zone 3. Neither has trigger that could turn on my NAD.

Once I replace that, I can trade in my NAD pre towards my dealer's speakers:

PSB
Atlantic Technology
Canton
James LoudSpeakers
Jamo
JBL
Martin Logan
Monitor Audio
NHT speakers
Thiel Loudspeakers
Vienna Acoustics
Wharfedale

I'll keep ya guys updated.

Decibel just called. They're outta silver, now going black. Oh well. Wanted to match my Jolida cdp... its ok though.

Yet another purchase. Just ordered Onkyo 805 refurbed for $618.59 shipped from their website. $50 rebate + 10% off thru tomorrow. DTS-MA Discrete 7.1 w/ THX Ultra2 here I come. :D

Yesterday I traded my refurbed NAD pre towards a new set of PSB T-55s. They really look good in sienna finish! Since I don't have any kind of pre anymore, I can't listen to 'em yet. Now I just have to wait for all the missing pieces to arrive, the hardest part perhaps. After all that, rudimentary calibrations, on to the final step: treatments for 2-ch. :D

Latest posts

Back