Help...Home Theatre experts !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
OK here's my dilema...my sister and brother-inlaw need to put together a CHEAP 5.1 set-up for their new flat panel TV. Is they anybody that can recomend a set-up, HTIB or seperates that can be had for $400-500 ???

yes...I did say cheap !

Polk Audio RM 6750

Boston Acoustics Horizon Series MCS 130

Infinity Total Solutions TSS-500

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

So the budget needs to cover AV receiver, DVD player, five (5) speakers, a powered sub, and misc. items such as speaker wire, interconnects, and speaker brackets / stands?

Is that correct?

GG

So the budget needs to cover AV receiver, DVD player, five (5) speakers, a powered sub, and misc. items such as speaker wire, interconnects, and speaker brackets / stands?

Is that correct?

GG

Hi Gordon,

My sis and bro-inlaw have a 'working' DVD player so I'm told.

Yours trully will be intrusted to do the set-up, thus I've actually thought about some of the inexspensive speaker package offerings from Parts Exspress, etc. Then matching it with a inexspensive 5.1 receiver, not sure if I can pull this off for under 500 clams though ????????

Thus my asking about the ..."HTIB" possibilities.

Erik, Thanks for the replies but given their budget (they have two of my nieces in college) they really need to keep everything at or below $500...including receiver !

how about this....

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S510...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236379306&sr=1-1

while I understand the HDMI is only pass through, myself I've always been a fan of Onkyo for inexspensive stuff.

anyone care to comment ??

Dave, that looks like a reasonable choice given the budget constraints.

The included Audyssey setup will make configuration easier and ensure correct delay settings and it has basic EQ corrections as well, which are better than nothing.

Obviously, the speakers are nothing to write home about, but should do at that price.

Dave, A guy a work just bought one of these last week. I went over to his house to give him a hand since he had no clue how to hook anything up. I think it is a fine system for the dollar. He was/is extremely happy with the result and can't stop talking about the wonderful sound of 5.1 he now has. It gives an impact for movies that is quite pleasing. I think it is a good value for a HTIB.

Gordon

Back