Hello This is LARS from Belgium, Antwerp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars

Reaction score
Hello ML lovers,

I am Lars owner of a recordstore in Belgium Antwerp www.vinylrecords.be
Yesterday a bought a pair of ML arius secondhand.
serial number AEFI 1535 with replacement panels in 1999 serial number ASKH
723 .Is on top on the back of one panel, means it that there is one panel replaced or 2.?
A few questions;
During what time you have to replace new panels, and folie?
Do this type goes automaticaly out ? no button on the back. or do I have to
put the cable out after using (voltage).?
Bought them for 700 euro is it ok for a pair of this age?

Serial Decoder Link

LAR, Congratulations on your acquisition of ML's. I hope they serve you well. I was in Brussels last May and visited a couple of record stores including the one next door to the famous Mannekin Pis Manneken_Pis statue. These stores all had a very fine selection.

Each speaker has 2 serial numbers. One for the Electronics and another for the Panel.

Your speakers should have been built in 1994 with the panels replaced in 1999. I'm not sure when ML starting building with the auto power supply shut-off feature. My CLSIIz's were built in 1993 and made with that feature so I suspect yours do as well.

If they sound good to you then I'd leave the panels alone. Otherwise, replacement panels can be obtained from ML through dealer local to you. However, we often hear of complaints about the high markup for ML products outside the US. But then everything seems to cost more in Europe and I suppose MLs are no different.

Last edited:
Lars, I agree with Craig; if they sound good to you, leave them alone. I purchased my Aerius in '95 and they still sound great to me. It seems that a major factor that will speed up panel replacement is a smoky or dusty environment. A regular panel vacuuming may extend panel life, but I never started vacuuming mine until about a year ago. Also, the sound quality of the panels may deteriorate slowly over time, so that one doesn't realize it.

Do you think trditional cone drivers last MUCH longer like 25+ years? Maybe ML should come up with another formula for the panels so they last much longer. God knows we pay enough for them!

Thanks steve,
Saw your system; nice!
My system is accuphase C280V and P800 connected with the ML(
No tubes), but I have one bocama with new tubes.
Later I will connect the bocama on the ML.

Do you think trditional cone drivers last MUCH longer like 25+ years? Maybe ML should come up with another formula for the panels so they last much longer. God knows we pay enough for them!

I guess some cone drivers last a long time, but others don't. Tweeters can burn out, due to being overdriven with insufficient power. Some other cone drivers suffer from rotting of the cone surround material and they fail at one point or another. Some cone speakers sound terrible if the cone material itself is punctured. ML panels can have many punctures and still operate fine!:eek: My MLs are fourteen years old and the original panels still sound great.

Hi George,

What?

ML offers the "gold standard" for panel reliability and replacement.

Please elaborate.

GG

Back