Heading to listen to the CLX in Seattle !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you love your Krell equipment, and that is the real bottom line in this hobby so it is great to hear you have found your audio nirvana. I am sorry to say I do not like any of the Krell amps since the days of the KSA and KMA models. To me Krell has tried to get by on their name and cost not performance of the past few years. But again just my opinion.

Opinions do vary ! If I had your reference equipment of choice , I could not get the sound from my CLS that the CLX would produce. Its not equipment or room treatment. " Yes you can buy a German car like a Volkswagen but you do not have a Porsche performance by putting Perellies on it !
You are so right in that opinions do vary. I hope you did not take my statement about Krell the wrong way, it is just my opinion on the newer models as I really liked their older stuff.

I am not saying the CLS is equivalent to the CLX. From all the reports about it, the CLX is probably, except for the Statement, ML's best product. For newer technology and especially the new bass section, which was always a bad point people brought up about the CLS, it is a great speaker and a great foot forward for ML.

But one has to decide "how much better" is the CLX? In my small example versus the CLS, is it worth the extra $14-$17k for them? It is probably easy to say yes, but signing that check is the real issue. This is the same problem each of us faces when we purchase equipment no matter which part of the chain it is for. Is it worth the extra cost???

For myself if I had $20k laying around doing nothing with no other demands on it, and I had the proper room for them, heck yes I would buy them. :music:

A+++ thread.

1) Deep thoughts. Serious perceptions. Painful choices. Excellent equipment. Brilliant aesthetics. Multitudes of dollars.

2) But I know, it's only rock'n'roll and I like it.

3) Let us not lose sight of this fact!

Respect for point 3). Definately point 2). But point 1) is just so much fun!

Audiophile truths:) Or audiophile blues?

A bit abstract, not strictly thread relevant, but at times you just have to step back and take at look at it all for what it is.

On that mildly philosophical note - enjoy!

Justin

Last edited:
You are so right in that opinions do vary. I hope you did not take my statement about Krell the wrong way, it is just my opinion on the newer models as I really liked their older stuff.

I am not saying the CLS is equivalent to the CLX. From all the reports about it, the CLX is probably, except for the Statement, ML's best product. For newer technology and especially the new bass section, which was always a bad point people brought up about the CLS, it is a great speaker and a great foot forward for ML.

:

No worries ! Its all good We all have deep dreams with thin wallets !

A+++ thread.

1) Deep thoughts. Serious perceptions. Painful choices. Excellent equipment. Brilliant aesthetics. Multitudes of dollars.

2) But I know, it's only rock'n'roll and I like it.

3) Let us not lose sight of this fact!

Respect for point 3). Definately point 2). But point 1) is just so much fun!

Audiophile truths:) Or audiophile blues?

A bit abstract, not strictly thread relevant, but at times you just have to step back and take at look at it all for what it is.

On that mildly philosophical note - enjoy!

Justin

I love that Post ! GREAT STUFF!

Long Live Martin Logan !

I trully believe that they spend sleepless night's making improvements to their products.

They are audiophiles and they probably do what we do, listen to the same recording 100 times moving the speakers or adjusting something small searching for that sonic nirvana !

All said and done I think its a steal at $20K starting point for what you get! Take it or leave it if you have not heard them do so ! Be prepared to be ruined and never enjoy your system again. (Kind of like a night with Jenna Jamison and then coming home to Nell Carter)! She can attempt to do the same things just not as well! If you have heard them then you know what I am talking about. :D

Last edited:
In that case, I'll have to pass !! My wife would suffer sleepless nights if she knew I was lusting for a $20K pair of Logans !!!

LOL !!

~VDR

(Kind of like a night with Jena Jamison and then coming home to Nell Carter)! She can attempt to do the same things just not as well! If you have heard them then you know what I am talking about. :D

This is classic C.A.P. :haha1: (yes, I do know who they are)

(Kind of like a night with Jena Jamison and then coming home to Nell Carter)! She can attempt to do the same things just not as well! If you have heard them then you know what I am talking about. :D

Nell Carter is dead, so this is a really scary image. :eek:

Not being American I've been doing some research, C.A.P. Jenna seems to be a very nice girl and has been in some very interesting movies, including one called **** grinder. The imagination boggles!

Have to say necrophilia leaves me cold, though:)

I am sure both Jenna & Nell are (were!) both committed audiophiles. I hear Jenna does a very nice act which may only been seen in it's entirety through a CLS (though I hear she has now upgraded to the new CLX!). Nell's only hope was to sound good being played by them, and, well, let's face it, who is interested in that?:D

At least Nell made a Wikipedia entry, which Jenna (two n's, C.A.P), despite her many talents, surprisingly has not! There is no justice in this world...:)

Last edited:
Looks like I over-estimated Wiki:)! Or is that under-estimated:D?

Heading to Hong Kong to listen to the CLX...

Yup - I'll be out in HK for a bit. Couldn't help but notice there is a 2008 Hi-End show out there when I am:) I can't find anyhting significant for it on the web, so I have no idea if MLs will be represented. Either way, I will take lots of pics and post 'em somehwere on the site. This is a big show with over 200 exhibitors. Where is the web page for it???? OK, it might be in Chinese, but WTF is it?

Last edited:
There is always the issue of how much better is something for the price you have to pay? Jeff Z and I both agree we liked the Summit when it came out but was it worth the extra cash over our CLS? No. The Summit were nice, but different sounding, not better in our opinions.

Jeff has heard the CLX and we have talked about the difference between the CLS and CLX and the cost associated with it. I believes he agrees the CLX is probably the best ML other than the Statements. But one has to think about the cost involved.

For CLS owners....If you have your CLS which cost $6k new back in the day, but most of us got to pick them up used for $2k-$3k. Now you have the CLX to consider. Cost difference between CLS and CLX is $14k - $17k. With your current electronics in mind you purchase the CLX. Then you need to compare your CLS where you can spend $14k - $17k to upgrade your setup and room. Which would be the better sounding setup?

Tough question as you would never really know until you did it, but one likes to think new technology is always a better step forward.

And to Tonepub's statement about the bass being able to play loudly, I guess the HT fanatics will be disappointed :D as levels always seem to be their main decision point for low end.

I have audtioned the E2 Statements and they were amazing but I agree with the above ..in a way the best thing I could say about the Statements is that they sounded like a dynamic augmented pair if my CLSZ2's..different and better but how much??? I will wait until I can hear a side by side comparison of the Summits versus the CLX...the area sorted out with the Statements and subsequently the Summits and now the CLX is the fact that the treble range sounds better/more focused with/due to narrower panels...too wide a panel and you get some phasiness to the highs...I await Monolith IV.

Not being American I've been doing some research, C.A.P. Jenna seems to be a very nice girl and has been in some very interesting movies, including one called **** grinder. The imagination boggles!

I nearly spit out my swig of Kokanee when reading this! :D

Not exactly sure what **** is, but I 'inserted' what seemed to fit. ;)

Back