Heading to Lawrence to listen to the CLX!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another pic..

rear view...

Attachments

• Martin Logan visit 013 (Medium).jpg
    Martin Logan visit 013 (Medium).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 303
specs say
70.32” h x 25.75” w x 13.75” d

Hola Tom...just a piano solo, or a guitar...please tell us the size of the instrument, and how does with the stage...also, play some cymbals, and a bass drum, they might help you out with this kind of music...then play some wind instruments like trumpet and clarinet...listen the wood of the clarinet...
Thanks for your full report!!! Warm regards from Costa Rica,
Roberto.

Tom great shots of the CLX. Anybody who says that it looks like it's just been "cobbled together" clearly doesn't understand the level of fit and finish at play here.

Frankly I don't get all the carping about the design of them. As a guy who does product design for a living I find them very cutting edge and exciting. I think the combination of curves and sharp edges sets a very good visual tension, they seem vibrant and alive. I agree with your assessment too of what they would look like with a full frame around all edges, kind of bleah. When used in a stereo pair (which is how 99% of them will be used) the sense of closure hinted by the bracketed pair is a visual analog to the frame I imagine they put around the soundscape.

I haven't stated my impressions of their appearance publicly before now because I wanted to take the time to really see them. Your photos here have been a great assist.

I say Kudo's to Dave Allen and the whole design team. I remember when the 7 Series BMW's first came out and everyone hated the look. In retrospect they set a new standard. I think Dave and team have done the same in the speaker world.

I simply MUST hear them for myself!

The CLX press photos show the "art frame" in red, which is more curved. I don't care for that look at all. The normal CLX frame is squared off and is almost minimalistic.. I like it much better.

I'm listening to Tears For Fears - Seeds Of Love...

After this CD is done, I'm calling it a day... There are beers with my name on them in Kansas City!!

Remember when you first heard MartinLogans??

Remember how they took your breath away and you just knew you HAD to have them?

Listening to the CLX will do that all over again..

they really do go to 11......... :bowdown:

I'm telling you guys. Tom is a viking in a listening room. 6+ hours and he's still going strong.

I turned the a/c off to try and smoke him out, but it didn't work!

:D

Glad you're enjoying yourself Tom.

-Devin

I'm telling you guys. Tom is a viking in a listening room. 6+ hours and he's still going strong.

I turned the a/c off to try and smoke him out, but it didn't work!

:D

Glad you're enjoying yourself Tom.

-Devin

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it!!!

Tom great shots of the CLX. Anybody who says that it looks like it's just been "cobbled together" clearly doesn't understand the level of fit and finish at play here.

Tim, you hit the nail on the head... The fit and finish on the CLX is absoutely first rate. I urge all of you guys to go see and hear them in person as soon as you can...

8 hours.......calling it a night...

hey all,

well, that's about it for me... Seeds of Love is finishing up and I'm gonna let Devin get home and enjoy the rest of his weekend. I didn't get to listen to ALL of my CDs, but there is only so much time in a day and I've been here long enough..

Thanks Devin and David and everyone else at MartinLogan for bringing me out here and letting me have my way with the CLXs...

I'm afraid to go home and listen to my reQuests, but i'm sure that at some point down the road, i'd really REALLY like a pair of these... we shall see..

Thanks for tuning in!

I'll post all the photos tonight and give you all a link to them and then I'll finish up my detailed report of this experience in the next couple of days.

btw, if these sucked, I'd be the first one to say so....

Tom.

Tom, thank you for facilitating our living vicariously through you :bowdown:

Last edited:
Tom,

I'm very glad that you share the impressions I had on the High End in Munich. This loudspeaker is something exceptional and I knew I want them after the first couple of bars. And I know they do the classic and jazz wonderfully and that a subwoofer is more of the luxury than necessity ... looks like I'll need to move to have enough room to put them into our living premises.

They are worth of building the house AROUND them :D :D

What must be must be.

regards

Ned

Wow, too cool. It reminds me of a trip ti the factory I made to see my car built. Tom is sounds kind of like being a kid at Christmas. Anyway, after hearing your report, I may not have to see or hear the CLX in order to aquire a pair. I just have to sneak them past my better half.:music:

In my case that was very simple: she just had to see and hear them. Tell you, WAF has been settled for! She is so much more critical than me (I admit I'm a little subjective when it comes down to ML) - in 10 seconds she can pinpoint what is wrong - and she thinks this is the best speaker she ever heard ... and I know what will our next ML be!

Tom, a little late to the party here, but I just read through your entire 'on location' report and it was fascinating. You did a phenomenal job reporting on your listening session and your photos were terrific! Thanks for all of your effort.

My wife says she hope you enjoyed your trip of worship to the "Holy Grail of Martin Logan-ness".

Well I enjoyed it - great pics and look forward to your full report. Your efforts are really appreciated.

Looks as though big speakers warrant big pizzas - only in America, I guess.

Maximum respect.

Justin

Back