head phones

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greg_slo

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has compared the sennheiser HD 555 and 595...my own test "results" have me wondering.

also from grado -- the iGrado. any thoughts? (not related to the the 555 or 595. they would be used in a different sitch).

~greg

just wondering if anyone has compared the sennheiser HD 555 and 595...my own test "results" have me wondering.

also from grado -- the iGrado. any thoughts? (not related to the the 555 or 595. they would be used in a different sitch).

~greg

What are your own test results?

FYI, I own the HD515. I don't like them that much. My Shure E4s shred them in every way other than bass response.

Often higher end headphones have greater amplification demands... (sound familiar) ... so will sound worse coming straight out of a portable device.

I haven't tried those models...but have some Beyerdynamic DT880s...I used to recover from stressful days at work by plugging those into my Meier Audio Pre-Head and listening to some Nora Jones....divine. Didn't do rock nearly as well as my Audio Technica phones though. I would get what sounds best to you for your purposes/use...if you don't plan on using a portable amp...stick to the ones that sound best without one.

You'll find a lot more answers (and people who have tried them) at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/

Have owned the 555, listened to the 595. Also owned the 650s along with other headphones like the Sony SA5000 and AKGK701 and 501.

I think the 555 and 595 are very similar in overall sound. My advice would be to NOT get the 595 and stick with the 555. If you really want to spend the extra cash, I'd get the 580.

Run them through a nice headphone amp and you're in business!

i held my results until after i got some replies from others. i like the bass of the 555's much better, but the lower high freq of the 595's was better and the mids a touch better...but not 120+ bucks better IMO. thus it looks like the 555's are the winner. my tests were all done from my dad's (now mine) old palm tungsten E2 pda with various rip qualities and music genres. i figured if it sounds passable on that, my comp's current sound couldn't be worse; and i do plan on updating my sound card and possibly a head-amp. but since those are future upgrades many moons down the line, i tested in the worse possible way i thought would be common. ive also done tests with various denon and onkyo mini systems with similar results, but that, along with sound card and head-amp upgrades, is a whole other thread.

keep the input coming

...any one heard the iGrado?...personally i love the behind the head style...and the diaphragm is the same as the SR 60's with a smaller enclosure in the igrado...i like the sound, especially since id use them for on campus/coffee shop listening. my concerns are the lack of folding and the flimsy-ness of the cable (which goes to both ears).

~greg

p.s. the 580's are discontinued joey, which would make it hard to audition in the store i am at :rolleyes:.

p.s. the 580's are discontinued joey, which would make it hard to audition in the store i am at :rolleyes:.

I didn't know your prereq included having it locally for a demo. I know Amazon has it for $199 and ebay has it for less.

Your sarcastic face smiley hurts my feelings.... lol. JK!

sorry joey, i always thought of it as an 'oh well' face, as in: "the 580's are discontinued, guess i cant demo them in the store, oh well."

finding things the cheapest isnt really my thing when buying new gear of high quality...especially since its based in an area where i really care about...i work in a high end store (i know i mention this a lot), and its frustrating as hell when i hear people talk about how they can get this or that for cheaper online...true, but a lot of companies do not offer warranties with purchases like this...and high end audio is dying...i better stop or this post could go on forever i dont want to step on anyone's toys for shopping online for audio (or other gear)...bottom line, i personally would rather go to a small store (local if possible, which is impossible for some, and online is the only easy way) and pay a little more thank find a cheap deal...sorry i digress.

so yeah, i can get the 555's for less than ~170 and the 595 for less than ~290 because of where i work, and yes i want to buy headphones new and yes i want to be able to audition them...even if i have to travel someplace...hope i havent sounded like a prick for my above rant...i tend to go off quickly on things im passionate about:eek:

final thought: shortly i will be a new owner of some sort of sennheiser in the HD 500 series, pending a bit more listening, and probably a pair of iGrado...next up furman...or maybe pannamax or maybe tributaries (power/surge)...stay tuned in the months to come:musicnote:

~greg

p.s. im quite sinical and sarcastic, and at times too opinionated for my own good. i dont always like to be, its just easier that way (for me)...tell me to back off if i go too far

You might consider the Sennheiser HD 600 as well. Typical retail prices could put it somewhere in the middle, and it's really an incredible pair of 'phones. Plus, having been on the market for some time, perhaps your employee discount would be even more attractive.

If I remember correctly, the 600 was basically the updated replacement model for the 580, and it garnered similar rave reviews.

- Jason

the 'damage' has been done...sennheiser HD 555's are mine! also picked up the headphone volume control...which will really be a nice addition for my purposes at my desk and elsewhere.

thanks for the input folks...oh and the 600's...a bit more than i wanted to spend, but definitely an excellent set of phones

~greg

Back