HDMI verses Component

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schnauzer/lover

Reaction score
Just got my first BlueRay player and wondering if there is much difference in picture? I have a component cable and using my HDMI with the Sat box, could switch them around?

Just got my first BlueRay player and wondering if there is much difference in picture? I have a component cable and using my HDMI with the Sat box, could switch them around?

Absoluely use HDMI with your Blu-ray (there's no "e") player! Most players won't even output 1080p via anything but HDMI, so you;re really missing out (assuming you have--or will have--a 1080p display).

As Richteer stated you will need hdmi for 1080p. I read a great article in CE Pro where installers were split on wheather it has a better picture though. HDMI was there biggest concern for the future. Lots of issues yet.

the hdmi is better

I have compared side by side. I will have to say that the makers of the cable dropped the ball in the sense that the cable is so flimsy and without a locking clip and too many times one just pulls out of my switcher or equipment :mad:

keep in mind fish_man: HDMI was never intended as a cable for consumers, but rather for the studio and owners of the video/audio media. Denon's cables come with a clip (and i think other companies are selling clips, but i could be wrong).

there are still many issues with HDMI; however, this is becoming the cable of choice in most HD applications. Component could carry 1080p...but at one time the manufactures of TV's didnt make component inptus handle the 80p, then sources mfg. stopped making comp. output 80p and the TV's cought up, but source players didnt change back...

~greg

HDMI is higher quality video, and if you're using a digital audio source to send a signal to your receiver to do DAC, you may well get better audio out of it as well (as compared to the RCA audio that typically accompanies component video). Otherwise, your source will do the DAC, and that can be good or bad depending on the source. Plus, it's only one cable instead of five, so it's much more convenient. There's really no reason to ever use Component again, if you can avoid it.

Last edited:
Just thinking, and please correct me, but if I run my HDMI striaght to the TV from the BlueRay, then my audio would be optical to my receiver, but running HDMI from BR to the receiver first then to TV would give me more selection in audio?

Just thinking, and please correct me, but if I run my HDMI striaght to the TV from the BlueRay, then my audio would be optical to my receiver, but running HDMI from BR to the receiver first then to TV would give me more selection in audio?

That's right. You can use separate optical audio with HDMI, but there's no good reason to if you can avoid it. HDMI has audio in addition to video in the one cable, and it's good quality digital audio. You should run the HDMI cable to the receiver, make the receiver to the DAC (unless you have a separate device for that), and then run an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV for just the video.

Depends on your Blu-ray player. Some players can't stream DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD, and some receivers can't decode the newer codecs. Unless you have a high end Blu-ray player, with really good DACs and internal decoding of the newer lossless codecs, connecting your player to your receiver using HDMI (for both video and sound) will be best (using another HDMI cable to your TV).

What amp and Blu-ray player are you using?

HDMI is *WAY* better than component, which I guess has been established. :) I've done back-to-back with two cable boxes and an X Box on my TV, plus a couple other peoples' TVs.

I have a question, though... What's the difference between HDMI and DVI? Our first cablebox had DVI outs but when we went to DVR the box has HDMI. The TV has one HDMI input and two DVI inputs so I've been thinking of running an HDMI->DVI cable for the cable box so the X Box can use HDMI.

I have a question, though... What's the difference between HDMI and DVI?

Every type of digital cable has various standards that go along with it, and so when you talk about "HDMI" you're not just talking about the cable or the connector, but a whole list of features, which means it can get complicated. So, strictly speaking, there are a lot of differences between HDMI and DVI.

In laymen's terms, though, HDMI is basically just DVI with embedded audio. The video signal itself is the exact same, with no need for any sort of conversion.

Last edited:
Every type of digital cable has various standards that go along with it, and so when you talk about "HDMI" you're not just talking about the cable or the connector, but a whole list of features, which means it can get complicated. So, strictly speaking, there are a lot of differences between HDMI and DVI.

In laymen's terms, though, HDMI is basically just DVI with embedded audio. The video signal itself is the exact same, with no need for any sort of conversion.

I suspected as much. I've read a time or two about HDMI 1.x and how there was a problem with this or that, but I've had three cables, a couple of sources and no issues ever with connections. :) I did have a cable box spritz out on HDMI so I went to component, but that died in a week and we got a new box.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back