Haven't pulled the trigger yet.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern

Reaction score
I've got a little project going........

Put the headsets away and cranked up the old stereo .........
My god it was awful. Not "musical" in any way.

Thinking it was probably the speakers.....Bose Tiny Cubes......I went down to Best Buy....
Did you know that Downloading MP3s, iPods, and the recent stinky economy has wiped out all the stereo stores in our area?
I have to go 120 miles across the state to find one.........
Anyway, Best Buy has very mediocre stuff....But they have an affiliate called Magnolia which handles what I would call midrange stuff.
And if I am going to build a suitable system, I am going to do it somewhat correctly.. Some Best Buys have a room or two dedicated to listening......
called the Magnolia Rooms. That's what we have here.
Better stuff than what is out on the floor.

So I go in and they have some tower speakers that cost anywhere from $500 to $1500 pair.
The kid says that I am a dying breed. I kew that.
People don't buy Stereo systems hardly at all anymore.
They buy "Home theater" systems and then sometimes play music on them.......but most music is played
in the car, or over headphones on iPods and computers........er......that's what I had been doing..........

Anyway, I listened to his Polk, and Bowers/Wilkens speakers and was NOT impressed...... $1500 and NOT impressed? Was it me? Or the speakers.

Then he asked me if I had any of "my" music with me..........They had only "rock"....And Movies.....
So I brought a CD in from the car...........
Sissel, Dolly and Chet, Rodney Crowell, Bette Midler, Chis Conner, Imelda May

Ad then he set up a pair of Martin Logan EM-ESL Speaker. Electrostatics. Big.
Put my little CD on with the above songs.

I almost cried.
Chris Conner was there. In that room. It was incredible.

I still haven't pulled the trigger. $2000 the pair was more than I was ready to do......
But........
I think I am going down and do the deed today...or soon....

BTW the Saleskid cut a copy of my CD.......in fact he cut two copies....one for the store.........LOL!

This looks like a nice place........

Welcome.............your journey begins.........enjoy the ride !

2 4 1 - Cheap at the price

Welcome to the old folks ward,

We still think it's the rest of the world that is crazy!

If you knew what we pay for Martin Logans outside of the USA you would buy 2 pairs, you have it so good in the Land of the Free (well Cheap actually).

Dementia ward is first on the left, toilets on the right!

Enjoy rediscovering " your" music again, it is not all in your head ( she said to me)

Fjeff

Great story!
Welcome to the forum and now go and do the right thing :music:

Last edited:
Hello - I m am from naples, fl originally. Yes, many moons ago SW FL had a number of great A/V stores. I wonder if our Tampa based members can chime in on any stores they frequent.

Regarding the other speakers you listened to - remember that it's all about system synergy. You need decent source material, a good player, quality amps, and speakers that all work well together in YOUR room.

I am glad that the ML speakers were the best choice and while it sucks that you need to drive a long way to get quality gear, it will be totally worth it in the end!

Erik

Thanks for the welcome and helpful comments.
Made the decision. Pulled the trigger. Ordered the EM-ESL speakers!
Take about a week, or more, to get them....figuring the holiday.....Still puzzling how I am going to power them. I imagine my 10 Year Old Yamaha will do the job.
But I am leaning toward a much more focused answer.

When I was a young lad and after I got back from the war (Vietnam, not Civil) I became a component level Tech at a very high tech (for the times) shop in New Orleans. We were warranty repair for about 25 companies. Those who are into "vintage" would know all the names...HH Scott,Fisher, Sherwood, Dual, Thorens, Altec Lansing, Acoustic Research, MacIntosh, Marantz, Ampex, Akai......and a bunch more.

So I am probably going to pick up a simple straightforward Receiver/amplifier.....Something from the 70s/80s. When Men were made out of iron and ships were made out of wood and
watts were made out of real volts and current. Root Mean Square.
If it is in reasonable shape I am quite capable of doing a deep tuneup on it.....I am working on a deal for a NAD.......

BTW...I moved out of that job and eventually did other things like work as a Tech for Bell Labs, owned my own Tv/Stereo store, became a communications expert (SNA) for a couple of Computer companies (Big stuff, not PCs).....but I still know which end of a soldering iron to hold....LOL.

I am impressed with the amazing systems you guys have.
I have neither the funds NOR the EARS to buy, use and appreciate the nuances of some of these systems.
But, I do want to hear $20,000 speakers before I die...... My first Speakers were used Voice of the Theater that I bought for $150 the pair..........a very long time ago.

My music tastes are eclectic but I lean toward the Joe Six Pack stuff.
NO Rock. I quit following rock when they decided to INTRODUCE distortion, ON PURPOSE. ;)
I had spent too many hours/days/months/years finding and removing distortion to listen to that stuff! LOL!

My favorite song right now would be The Elvis Presley Blues by Gillian Welch. And my favorite singer would be either some cool jazz singer from the 40/50s or todays Imelda May...
depending on what day it is. Try them on youtube......Certainly not very complex stuff.
But since very few people know what complex sounds like in it's original form.....I have always found
that a Female voice, accompanied by a very good acoustical guitar presents some of the greatest tests on the planet for accurate reproduction.
OTOH, Waylon Jennings and a six pack is not a bad way to spend an evening either.
BTW I am a recent widower, so I have no WAF issues. And I am 73 so I'm probably not going to change my mind much.......once it is made up......which is not instantaneous.

Well, back to reading every post ever made here.......
Well, maybe not quite, but I figure every question I have, has been asked before....so I have gotten to know the search function pretty well.....
One thing I didn't know was that the EM-ESL was brand new..........So not a lot of experience level on these....but what there is seems to validate my original
Gomer Pyle reaction. GOLLLLLLYYY!

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome and helpful comments.
Made the decision. Pulled the trigger. Ordered the EM-ESL speakers!
Take about a week, or more, to get them....figuring the holiday.....Still puzzling how I am going to power them. I imagine my 10 Year Old Yamaha will do the job.

Congratulation - they are great speakers. Let the ML-ESL break in with your Yamaha, then decide. I have the ML-ESL and they continue to amaze with the quality of the sound.

Back