Has Anyone tried the Decibel player?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyVee

Reaction score
For you Mac folks..
Has anyone tried the Decibel player? I want to get into HiRes files, tried Pure Music for a week or two and wasn't that impressed either through my main system or my desktop system (did not notice any real difference). Won't go near Armana just due to the cost.

I downloaded Decibel a couple of hours ago and noticed a definite improvement in SQ.. more open, airy and dynamic with a little greater detail. Mind you, I've just been testing it on my desktop system (Mac Mini > Fiio E7 or uDac2 > Senn HD600's) and will give it a go on my main system.
It's a pretty simple interface with no playlist options. You can import from files/folders or drag and drop songs from iTunes. I really like the 'Load In Memory' and 'Obtain Exclusive Access' options.

The trial period is 24 hours of use so I have time to play and it's only $33 and available on the Mac App Store so licensing is nice across my 2 Macs.

I'm not quite sure how software can increase sound quality. It is unclocked digital. It would be like saying that you can increase the accuracy of your Word files by using different software. Clocking is a hardware function and as long as the data is delivered to the clocking device then all impacts on sound quality should happen there.

I'm not quite sure how software can increase sound quality. It is unclocked digital. It would be like saying that you can increase the accuracy of your Word files by using different software. Clocking is a hardware function and as long as the data is delivered to the clocking device then all impacts on sound quality should happen there.

I hear you.. I got the same thing when I told a techie friend of mine that I got an audiophile USB cable.. He thought I was nuts. Not sure if I heard any difference but its just part of the journey.

Anyway, just spent the last hour auditioning through the Vista system and the improvements are immediate. Started listening to a U2 song that I know very well and immediately did a double take. Wider and more focused sound stage.. a little more open and airy and a bit more bass extension. Result are the same song after song. For me it's a definite keeper. It will absolutely be the best $33 I have spend on my system.

All I can say is that if you're using iTunes now, download it and try it yourself. Your mileage may vary.

I got an audiophile USB cable.. He thought I was nuts.

Funnily enough, that I can almost understand. It depneds on if you're using synchronous or asynchronous USB - that is, if the clocking is done in the computer and send to the DAC in synchronous mode then yes, the USB cable may well make a difference! I say "may" and "could" because I haven't tried it myself. But from previous experience, yes, digital cables certainly make a difference.

Back