Has anyone evaluated the Summit X? Why isn't anyone raving?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're X's and located in California

Dave, if your interested there's another pair of X's listed for $8,800 OBO in Desplaines.

Fakes? That's almost half price!! Someone's got to snap those up! If they were in Australia they'd be mine!

Last edited:
Who needs them, Adam? I've just bought some serious speakers...

OK, maybe not, but they sure are cool... should get them this week sometime. Will add a "The Ball" sub when I can find someone who sells 'em.

The wife wouldn't allow Marc & Daniel speakers in the lounge. Low WAF. These are high WAF, apparently:)

http://www.podspeakers.com/

Attachments

• pods.jpg
    pods.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Who needs them, Adam? I've just bought some serious speakers...

OK, maybe not, but they sure are cool... should get them this week sometime. Will add a "The Ball" sub when I can find someone who sells 'em.

The wife wouldn't allow Marc & Daniel speakers in the lounge. Low WAF. These are high WAF, apparently:)

http://www.podspeakers.com/

Why not? IME&O one small cone&domer is about as good as another, my KRK ST-6s from Guitar Center sound as good as "audiophile" speakers of the same type that cost far more.

I remember the original product from this pod outfit, at the time it was made by B&W and called the Blue Room or something like that and was a good little speaker. Now that speaker is called the Mini Pod.

Last edited:
High WAF, low HAF - I think they're fugly......no matter how good they sound.

Well I don't think they're gonna be world beaters sonically. But I do think they look great. No accounting for taste, I suppose.

And let's face it Bernard, they look better than you do after an entire bottle of port, whether I have drunk it or you have! That's just what you get for being rude about my new babies...:)

Back on topic, please...

Last edited:
The best parallel I can draw to the Summit/Summit X is the Meridian 808 to the 808.2....

The old player is still fantastic and when we listened to them side by side, the new model definitely was an improvement, but again, the people who had spent $14k on an 808 probably weren't going to sell their player for $6k used to step up to the $16k 808.2.

That's really the way I'd look at the Summit/Summit X thing. The Summit X is great and a definite improvement over the Summit, but it's probably not a $10k improvement to anyone but the most wealthy of you that $10k is pocket change.

After hearing them side by side on great electronics, the original Summit is still a great speaker, and will probably benefit a lot more from better electronics and room treatment than just buying a pair of Summit Xs.

The best parallel I can draw to the Summit/Summit X is the Meridian 808 to the 808.2....

The old player is still fantastic and when we listened to them side by side, the new model definitely was an improvement, but again, the people who had spent $14k on an 808 probably weren't going to sell their player for $6k used to step up to the $16k 808.2.

That's really the way I'd look at the Summit/Summit X thing. The Summit X is great and a definite improvement over the Summit, but it's probably not a $10k improvement to anyone but the most wealthy of you that $10k is pocket change.

After hearing them side by side on great electronics, the original Summit is still a great speaker, and will probably benefit a lot more from better electronics and room treatment than just buying a pair of Summit Xs.

Thanks, Jeff. Great analogy. I know the current Summit owners frustrated. But I don't see any Summit owner upgrading to anything but higher up the product line.

Any chance you can give a sneak preview to the sound improvements prior to your next issue? Thanks.

They're X's and located in California

Dave, if your interested there's another pair of X's listed for $8,800 OBO in Desplaines.

Hey Wayne,

Thanks. However, no more interim solutions for me. When I build out a bigger room in 2 years, I will get the CLX or the Soundlabs. The Vantages are great for my small room for now.

The way I see this discussion is:

Set the bar somewhere - and then figure out as you like the ML sound what are the relative improvements of Summit to Summit-X and then reference the CLX. That is a reasonable way to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses, because this is not a "Zero Sum Game" - in fact it is a very qualitative game, not a quantitative one.

Only then should we compare the relative $ value.

I personally would like to figure out the relative strengths / weaknesses within the ML range. Then I don't mind comparing with other brands that have a different sonic signature - in particular alternate planars.

As a newbie here, I am a little surprised I don't see more discussion of the relative merits of the Logans versus Maggies versus Apogee / Quad / Soundlabs, Kingsaudio etc. etc. (notwithstanding Apogees are defunct, but alive and well with current audiophiles)

Steve

As a newbie here, I am a little surprised I don't see more discussion of the relative merits of the Logans versus Maggies versus Apogee / Quad / Soundlabs, Kingsaudio etc. etc. (notwithstanding Apogees are defunct, but alive and well with current audiophiles)

This is a good point. But you actually do see some of this type of discussion here. An example is the recent shootout some members did between Martin Logans and Roger Sanders' electrostatic speakers. But my guess is that the majority of members of this forum are here because they have listened to or owned many of these other planar speakers and learned through experience that we just like the sound of Martin Logans better.

Rich, I can't disagree with your sentiment and the predisposition here to extoll the virtues of Martin Logan - in fact AS I listened to my ReQuests this evening, I was wondering why I needed anything else. The ML sound, as I am discovering, is just "naturally satisfying" and lifelike and very close to the organic feelings of live music.

Perhaps I should be blunt - convince myself why I should move on up from my ReQuests (other than the cap and transformer upgrades I am seriously considering)!! I thought the CLX's would be a great move and then maybe the Summit-x's as the optimal move, but now I am not so sure?

Steve

The way I see this discussion is:

Set the bar somewhere - and then figure out as you like the ML sound what are the relative improvements of Summit to Summit-X and then reference the CLX. That is a reasonable way to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses, because this is not a "Zero Sum Game" - in fact it is a very qualitative game, not a quantitative one.

Only then should we compare the relative $ value.

I personally would like to figure out the relative strengths / weaknesses within the ML range. Then I don't mind comparing with other brands that have a different sonic signature - in particular alternate planars.

Steve

It's pretty easy, actually. If you like the MartinLogan sound vs. the other panels, they all have a similar basic sound, as the panels are all made from the same materials.

As you go up the range, you get a bigger sound with more weight. Part of this is offset by room size, i.e. a bigger speaker needs a bit more room to really shine.

Also, as you go up the range, you get more resolution and the ability to play louder and go deeper in the bass (vantage vs. spire vs. summit)

The CLX is different, not being a hybrid like the rest and consequently offers up the most resolution (and largest sweet spot) and of the opinion of most, really needs subwoofers to give full range performance. It also requires the most room.

The value will be different to everyone. And again, it will depend on your room and current system. If you have a great room that is dialed in and top shelf electronics, you might be more apt to part with the money to go from say Spire to Summit X, as you've taken care of everything else.

Some will hear the diff and decide they cant live without it, while others will be just fine with what they have and not want to move up. Only you can decide if the performance gained moving up the line is "worth it" to you...

Well.. if you wanna feel REAL pain on the ML's ... come north of the border to Canada, where we have what I will joyfully refer to as the "multi-whammy"
1) The economy hit the tarmac .. nothin new here
2) Our CDN $ (which was at par with the US Greenback just last summer) took a pounding.. the exchange rate is now back to $1.25 or so..
3) The CDN distributor for ML (Plurison) pushed the pricing up ..

So.. all told, Summit X now hits $18k for base finishes.. :mad:

I could have (should have !) bought brand new Summits last summer for under $10k CDN locally.. .from a dealer .. :eek: D'ohhhhh !!

Well.. if you wanna feel REAL pain on the ML's ... come north of the border to Canada, where we have what I will joyfully refer to as the "multi-whammy"
2) Our CDN $ (which was at par with the US Greenback just last summer) took a pounding.. the exchange rate is now back to $1.25 or so..

I could have (should have !) bought brand new Summits last summer for under $10k CDN locally.. .from a dealer .. :eek: D'ohhhhh !!

If I could add that Plurison has taken complete adavantage of the recession. Charging 2000$ for Quest panels and raising prices far above the percentage rate even considering the exchange and Martin Logan's price hike! They are hurting sales no doubt!:devil:

If I could add that Plurison has taken complete adavantage of the recession. Charging 2000$ for Quest panels and raising prices far above the percentage rate even considering the exchange and Martin Logan's price hike! They are hurting sales no doubt!:devil:
I am amazed that ML is doing nothing about it, i.e. they are doing nothing while Plurison is costing them sales.

Indeed... we certainly are getting the dirty end of the stick.

Thankfully, a buddy of mine rebuilt his ReQuests (new energizer boards and panels) before this mess happened, he didn't get stung quite so bad for new panels through Plurison.

Not to make this into a contest or anything but the situation here in Sweden is even crappier and the sum of all things considered a pair of Summit X costs 180000SEK which equals roughly 20500$US.
And we also get the privilege to pay at least 33% tax on our pay, all the way up to over 50% if your salary is decent.
How 'bout them apples? :(

Wait 'till I tell you what they cost in $AUD!

I have absolutely no idea why manufacturers nurture and protect these rip-off merchants they call "distributors". Beats me!

Back