Harmony 1000 remote

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPig

Reaction score
I just set up my new Harmony 1000. What a cool device. The push of one button turns on my TV, DVD player, amp, preamp and resets the input device on my TV and preamp. I tried using on of the Sony multi device remotes. I gave up after trying to put on two devices. Pointing both remotes and pressing every button you were going to use. The Harmony is perfect. I had a Harmony H688 before, but it was difficult to use because of the screen size.

Congrats! I've been patiently waiting for the next generation Harmony remote, which I'm hoping will have color LCD touch-screen, and full compatibility with the Squeezebox/Transporter (since Logitech purchased Slimdevices). Nowadays, it seems I spend more time hunting under the seat cushions for my remotes, than I do listening to music! :(

The touch screen is awesome. Easy to read and understand. You can name any of your devices anything you want. I've only been using it for an hour or so and the commands are very easy to use. I have eight device sset up. By far the most complicated is my preamp. It appears to have all of the commands. If you are looking for a specific device, let me know. Logitechs web site does not have a data base of devices. Now that I have a set up menu, I can look to see if something exists. This is by far the best remote I've owned yet.

Does it allow you to write text "prompts" (for wife, kids) telling them which components (i.e. pre-amp, amp) to manually turn on (if they lack remote power on/off), and also tell them to flip the Home Theater Bypass switch? That would be an absolute requirement for me.

I'm not sure about that. I have one system set up where it turns everything on with a single command. I'm assuming if you have eveything set up on your devices, one command would do it all. When you are setting certain systems up, it will ask for specific commands you want to add. It sounds like you have a complicated system, are you sure you want the wife and kids to even mess with YOUR stuff!:eek1:

It's not really complicated, but does require a few MANUAL steps, which are not remote controlled. I'd rather have them do it right, vs. totally messing it up, as happens now! I tried giving them WRITTEN instructions, but they still have trouble with that. If I could program the "written" tasks in the proper sequence with the remote tasks, that would work.

I'm not aware of any remotes that will let text promp that much information. If there are, I'm guessing they are expensive. I've seem some remotes for 2K and up. They are for complete home control.

Could you buy a new or used PDA and put the information in the PDA. Even if you had a text prompt in the remote, it sounds like they could still mess it up. In the PDA you could add photos as an instructional aid along with the text.

Yeah, guess what I need is a Harmony/PDA combo! Maybe Logitech will buy Palm next!:D

If you are looking for a specific device, let me know. Logitechs web site does not have a data base of devices. Now that I have a set up menu, I can look to see if something exists. This is by far the best remote I've owned yet.

Can you look to see if some of the devices include some of the audiophile or less mainstream components such as Wadia, Electrocompaniet, Cary Audio, Conrad Johnson, B&K Ref 50, ARC, Oppo, Squeezbox, etc.?

Some of these companies list thier remote codes on thier website.

Have you had any battery life issues or lock up problems with your 1000??? These seem to be a common problem with the new 1000.

I'm not aware of any remotes that will let text promp that much information. If there are, I'm guessing they are expensive. I've seem some remotes for 2K and up. They are for complete home control.

Could you buy a new or used PDA and put the information in the PDA. Even if you had a text prompt in the remote, it sounds like they could still mess it up. In the PDA you could add photos as an instructional aid along with the text.

Universal makes the MX3000 which you can text promp stuff, its nowhere near as easy to setup as the Harmony 1000, but it has the ability to do a lot more complicated macro applications, you can create your own background, add your own .wav file sound effects, etc. Its a cool remote but I'd personally take the Harmony 1000 over it and live with non text prompt stuff. The MX3000 might definitely be up your alley, but not up mine :p

Have you had any battery life issues or lock up problems with your 1000??? These seem to be a common problem with the new 1000.

I haven't had any battery issues. It has locked up twice. I updated the software and firmware and haven't had any issues since.

Latest posts

Back