GREETINGS from Mullica Hill, NJ!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Diamond

Reaction score
Hello to all!

I'm a newbie to both the site and to the pair of SL3s I've just purchased. Now, this being said I am not new to the hobby, or my passion as I like to refer to it as, as I've been involved in this hobby for 33-years now (damn that makes me sound old!).

Well, I have lived quite contently with my Spendor S-100s but have been interested in the SL3's since I first read of them in the Stereophile review. I certainly have many questions that I would love to ask your educated opinion on but at this time I feel the one I'd like to start with is this; simply put is BI-AMPLIFICATION a good idea for the SL3s' if I own two sets of the same tube mono-blocks, all with matching impedances’, or does the speaker's design/circuitry simply not support it well?

If it does, is it suggested over simply BI-WIRING the speakers? I'm happy to be aboard and I thank you all in advance for the education!

My best,

Mark Hahn

simply put is BI-AMPLIFICATION a good idea for the SL3s?
First, welcome to the group. As I am in the bi-amp camp (active or passive), my vote is YES for bi-amplification.

if I own two sets of the same tube mono-blocks, all with matching impedances’, or does the speaker's design/circuitry simply not support it well?
Ok, things get more dicey here. Ideally, matching sets of monoblocs are preferred, but we're talking about different speaker designs between the panels vs the woofer for the logans. Solid-state amplifiers are much better at moving the woofers due to their higher damping factor than the tube counterparts. For my set-up, I have tubes on the panels and solid-state on the woofers in a passively bi-amp configuration.

Good Luck,
Spike

2 Bi amp or not 2 Bi amp

Hi Mark,

I am with Spike on this one, most of my systems are bi amped where the speakers allow for it.

Why? Well the outcome is usually the same. Better attack on the leading edge of the notes, deeper sound stage (usually 4 to 6 feet), more 'air' around the singers and instruments, tighter (sometimes faster) bass delivery.

The amps must be unconditionally stable as you are potentially dealing with lower impedances when you drive each driver individually.

On a set of Ascent i's I use a stereo amp that alone would simply run out of steam, but with two of them I almost get away with it, so the costs are actually quite effective rather than going out and buying some huge muscle amps.

On my main system, it is a luxurious overkill that I am unrepentant about that cost me but the sonic outcome, the control and the delicacy are worth it.

Incidentally, if an amp dies, you have a backup unit until the defective unit is returned and you can still listen to music.

Don't hold back Mark, bi amping is just magic.

Fjeff

Back