Greetings Everyone from Southern California

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjsanders

Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of Quests which I'll take delivery on in 2 weeks. I have never owned ML speakers before, but have owned dipoles from Acoustat and Apogee before, so know a little about speaker placement. I am currently running JH Labs Mezzo Utopias off Manley Labs Neo Classic SE/PP 300B monoblocks with a Hovland HP 100. Pleasant, but not the most "open" speaker around. I am looking forward to becoming re-acquainted with electrostatic "midrange purity."

For amplification I have an ARC VT200 Mk2 and a fully hot-rodded McCormack DNA-1 Gold. I was thinking of putting the ARC on the electrostatic panels and the McCormack on the woofers. I also have a pair of Dave Speltz autoformers and apologize that I haven't searched the forum yet (post within 10 days or be kicked rule), but any comment on which multiplier to use for the panels (2x or 4x)?

As A former Acoustat and Apogee owner who occasionally strayed back to cones and domes i suspect that it will not take you long to realize there is nothing like the openess and clarity of a planar type speaker.

As far as mixing amps I have never been a fan of that practice I would start using them individually then make a decision on the best for the Quest.

Thanks for your input. After reading more, I had already decided to try the big ARC first, solo. The issues of biamping these is not as straightforward as I thought it would be.

I am excited about getting more of the old "goose bumps" again. I have to say though, reading all these posts about vacuuming and showering the panels has me a little intimidated.

Welcome, I'm sure you will find most of the information you are looking for here from old posts and the members.
I'm currently running VTM 200's on CLS's and have tried them on my SL3's. I don't think your VT200 will have any problem with the Quest's.
From my experience I would agree with Ken about mixing amps on your Quests. Not that you couldn't find a great combination but when I tried to biamp my SL3's with a pair of ARC Classic 120's and a Aragon 2002 it just sounded like the mids & highs and the bass were somehow a fraction out of sink with each other. I realize that with the speed of the electrons through the wire that is not something I probably could even hear but it sounded much better with the ARC amps alone.
As for the Auto Formers I have never used or heard them but I can't imagine you needing them with the VT200. Try them and let us know what you think. Everyone here is always looking for more information to file away.

Back