Got my CLXs and a little tweak...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
Hola Caballeros: I am just playing with my new toys, a pair of CLXs and I can say I am loving very much what I am listening so far from them. My floor is kind of tiles, and I made a little tweak that perhaps most of you use it... at the spikes, I am using two coins... I am breaking better the interact of the floor with them... some bad resonances are gone... more to come... happy listening,
Roberto.

Very nice. Do you find them that much better than the CLS . All kidding aside . I get to listen to them at my beckon as my friend Ken has them. I do like them but am amazed at what the CLS can actually do and it was 30 years old !

Roberto,

Try the hocky pucks with a small, shallow drilled hole in the middle for the spike tip. I really can't believe that coins and such offer much isolation.

I'll be removing the pucks soon, install some robust cones instead of the spikes, and substitute the BDR pits. Will advise all regarding the results.

Gordon

Very nice. Do you find them that much better than the CLS . All kidding aside . I get to listen to them at my beckon as my friend Ken has them. I do like them but am amazed at what the CLS can actually do and it was 30 years old !

Still missing my CLSs, first because I had them since I started with ML at 87 early. And I kept changing the model until my last CLSIIZ and are a treasure to have and listen. They showed me the way of what Hi-end is all about. Not easy to drive, not easy to set them up, not easy with a sweet spot, not easy with their position at your room... tons of tweaks...then, hours of listening pleasure!!! I have home sick... I missed them truly. On the other hand, the new CLXs are fenomenal... easy to set them up, and easy for the sweet spot. Tons of mid range info...there are a lot of things that I am listening that I did not with the CLS...as an example: blu ray by David Foster Hit Man Returns, with the CLSs, I do not have the quality of the reverberation of the mic when David talks, it is so natural and well balanced. But they are too new for an statement. All what I can say is, very natural, the piano (Mitsuko Uchida playing Mozart with the Camerata Salzburg concerto No 13, first movement) is there...full of harmonic texture and detail...better than my old CLSs. I have tons of work to do, but I can say...they are also a treasure as the CLS. Regards my friend,
Roberto.

Roberto,

Try the hocky pucks with a small, shallow drilled hole in the middle for the spike tip. I really can't believe that coins and such offer much isolation.

I'll be removing the pucks soon, install some robust cones instead of the spikes, and substitute the BDR pits. Will advise all regarding the results.

Gordon
Got it, thanks!, nice tweak...happy listening,
Roberto.

Thanks ... I feel that they belong to all of you too...happy listening,
Roberto.

Roberto,

Sincere congratulations. You are on another journey. But since as you say they belong to all of us......would you mind if I borrowed them for a time so I could see how they do in a all CLX 7.1 surround sound system:D

Thanks guys, I am in heaven. And surely I do not mind to share time with any of you...please come to Costa Rica, and have some fun also. I will post some pics as soon as I clean up my room...it is a mess... happy listening,
Roberto.

The CLS's, after 30 yrs, are still an amazement...when i go to audio stores to listen to their reference speakers I often say, "they sound ok"...:)...only other ML's I might consider to replace them are the CLX's.

Congrats Roberto...I cant wait to hear some CLX's in person!

Hola Roberto! Enjoy your CLX's

Thanks guys, I am in heaven. And surely I do not mind to share time with any of you...please come to Costa Rica, and have some fun also. I will post some pics as soon as I clean up my room...it is a mess... happy listening,
Roberto.

As a CLX owner for the past 2 years, I can tell you that these speakers require more care with placement than any of the M-Ls that I have ever owned. Once done, you get a sensational image with breadth, depth and height like nobody's business. Have you added a sub? I actually had the Descent-i's before I got the CLXs and they really help not only with the low end, as expected, but also with the mid-range-more body. I think the CLX was designed with subs in mind as there is a CLX setting on the control panel.

The CLS's, after 30 yrs, are still an amazement...when i go to audio stores to listen to their reference speakers I often say, "they sound ok"...:)...only other ML's I might consider to replace them are the CLX's.

Congrats Roberto...I cant wait to hear some CLX's in person!

Hola... now is about one week that I have them whit me. And they are so different that I am listening things that I never heard them so clearly. As an example, some musicians sing when they are playing, (Keith Jarret sangs out of tune). His voice or the noise that he makes, is coming form his soul.. definitely. There is more music and tons of midrange quality. The breathing is more palpable on vocals. On guitar, I do understand better the fingering...even tricks as an example, how to tremble a harmonic in a Spanish guitar, (this sound usually is a high pitch note where you do not press the string against the fret) so you can't move the string to produce the trembling. It is a complete different beast with the good things of his older brother (CLSs). The bass is robust and the male singer is there in front of you, ( Rene Pape-bass singer singing Mozart at The Salzburg Festival 2006). I am listening and doing little changes of postion here and there, and they are evident, but not so drastic as the CLSs. They have wider disperson on highs too. The timbre of the cymbals, my reference for this test is Qulity of Silence of Steve Daves, track no. 2 its natual...its precise, its full of harmonic texture, wow they truly sing!!! happy listening,
Roberto.

As a CLX owner for the past 2 years, I can tell you that these speakers require more care with placement than any of the M-Ls that I have ever owned. Once done, you get a sensational image with breadth, depth and height like nobody's business. Have you added a sub? I actually had the Descent-i's before I got the CLXs and they really help not only with the low end, as expected, but also with the mid-range-more body. I think the CLX was designed with subs in mind as there is a CLX setting on the control panel.
Hola...yes, I have the same sub as you, one Depth i... very nice sound and very deep bass. Yes, with it, helps to clean the mid range...a lot!. Perhaps because I had the CLSs before for over 24 years, (all their models, starting with the CLS and ending with the CLSIIZ) I do know of what are you talking about. Did you have the CLSs too? They are more difficult to set them up than these, at least in my room. Thanks a lot for your recommendations...happy listening,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back