got a new amp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jinx

well guys. i got a new to me Yamaha natural sound MX 630 amp, 135 watts rms at 8 ohms, but dips down to 2 ohms no problem, and at 4 ohms it's 190 watts rms. i have no more clipping issues, however, if i turn it up REALLY loud, as i tend to do, i hear some distortion. is this the amp? or could it be the panels? the speakers sound incredible at mid to high volume, just at very high volumes i noticed a little bit of distortion. just wondering, and yes, a new amp makes a BIG difference.

enjoy it! You will find that the more you upgrade the more you will re discover you music...

How loud is REALLY loud? db???

well guys. i got a new to me Yamaha natural sound MX 630 amp, 135 watts rms at 8 ohms, but dips down to 2 ohms no problem, and at 4 ohms it's 190 watts rms. QUOTE]

First off the fact that it dosen't double into a 4 ohm load makes me doubt that it is REALLY stable into a two ohm load. Aside from that your distortion could be panels depending on age / condition. Also your definition of "Really load" may be beyond realistic SPL as well.

well, i don't have a DB meter to test how loud my version of "loud" really is, but...i do like it pretty room filly loud. as for the amp, well, it is certainly better than the sansui B 3000 i was running at 110watts (i doubt that honestly too) at 8 ohms, and it would cut out often. i have an AMC 2100 comming, and if it sounds better running mono (handles 500 wats peak) i'll get another one of those. if that doesn't work, i'm either going to get a carver tm35 or maybe an adcom gfa 555 but not sure which yet. i like the VU meters look on the carver...but i don't know much about their sound.

well, i don't have a DB meter to test how loud my version of "loud" really is, but...i do like it pretty room filly loud. as for the amp, well, it is certainly better than the sansui B 3000 i was running at 110watts (i doubt that honestly too) at 8 ohms, and it would cut out often. i have an AMC 2100 comming, and if it sounds better running mono (handles 500 wats peak) i'll get another one of those. if that doesn't work, i'm either going to get a carver tm35 or maybe an adcom gfa 555 but not sure which yet. i like the VU meters look on the carver...but i don't know much about their sound.

Hola...just a thought, remember that you have to doble the power for only 3 dBs of more level...so you might be at 120 Watts let´s say at 93 dBs of SPL, and you will need 240 Watts just for 3 dBs more...96 dBs of SPL. I am sure that what you are hearing is amplifier clipping...happy listening,
Roberto.

Back