Good CD Players <$1000?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhom

Reaction score
I'd love to hear the CD players that you like in the under $1000 price range and what you consider their strengths/weaknesses. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rick

Havent heard any that I have liked under 1K so far.... new atleast. I will put a vote for the Naim CD5i at about $1500... truly fantastic at imaging.

Rega and Rotel are two that come to mind that I have heard.

Cambridge 640c is supposed to be pretty good.

There are a number of decent players for under 1k, and I feel it's tough to find to rate the 'tiers' of CD players at that price point. That said, I have listened to the Rotel RCD 1072 multiple times and really enjoyed it.

I went a different route and had my sony 900v modified. You might be able to hunt down a fairly inexpensive, used, player and get it upgraded. It sounds terrific; better by the day.

Rega Apollo...$995. You can find them on A'gon pretty much new for $650 or so I think...

If you go for $1K to $1,250 used, you can stretch the # of available options.

Rega Appollo is a great choice has great detail, like the much more expensive players. Lacks air and pace of the $3K players like Ayre and Naim. But almost there.

I also second Naim CD 5i - great rhythm.

Rotel 1072 is a great option, as was mentioned. Good bass.

Classe CDP-10 - beautiful, smooth midrange, great with Logans. Lacks detail in my opinion, but great musicality. You may have to go a tad over $1K used, but a great choice.

If you can stretch to under $2K at all, go with Ayre.

The best I have heard are the Rotel RB 1072 or the Rega Apollo. I have the Rotel and it is great for the price. Look on Audiogon to get prices in the $350 - $600.00 range for these fine 2 cd players.

Used the Theta Miles Balanced version is a great player. It rivals many . It also can be tweaked if needed. They are on Audiogon now and then. Make sure its the balanced version as it has 2 DA converters and such. Its a much cleaner sounding unit. They can be found for around the $1000.00 or under range. Plus it has a built in analogue volume control so you can hook it directly to the amp. That is how I run mine.

hi rhom,

I have a Jolida JD-100A and love it. Its tubed. I've heard just a handful of cdp's compared to almost anyone else here, but have heard Rotel, McCormack, Krell, others, but never in a controlled A/B environment.

At risk of a semi-hijack, what do all of you others think of this player? Be honest! Its ok if you think it sucks! More info for rhom in any case. Pros/cons?

hi rhom,

I have a Jolida JD-100A and love it. Its tubed. I've heard just a handful of cdp's compared to almost anyone else here, but have heard Rotel, McCormack, Krell, others, but never in a controlled A/B environment.

At risk of a semi-hijack, what do all of you others think of this player? Be honest! Its ok if you think it sucks! More info for rhom in any case. Pros/cons?

I have the JD100A, although I'm getting ready to sell it.
I bought a Primare integrated, and I went and listened to the matching Primare CDP (CD21) at the dealer's, but didn't take it home to audition. The Primare sounded good at the dealer's, and I wanted a matching CDP, so I bought it.
To be honest, I rate the Jolida every bit as good as the Primare sound-wise. Build of the Primare is a lot better, however.
I A/B'd the Jolida against a lower priced NAD and also an Arcam Alpha7, and it sounded a lot more detailed than either, yet very smooth. You can also have some fun by playing with the tubes. Tube rolling changes the sound, although it's very subjective what tubes sound 'better'.
I think the Jolida is a very good player new @$900 or so and used about $600.

The Jolida JD-100A is a a very good player at its price point, as stated. I have owned mine for about two years now, and it's very good. At this price point it fits better into my system, than the Rega and the Rotel.

It's very difficult to pin down what will work well in your system, the only way to know for sure is to try it. I started with Rega Planet 2000, Rotel pre and amp.
When I auditioned the Rotel CD plaer in that setup it kicked the Regas' but, so out it went. Then I wanted a tube pre for a sweeter sound. My pre exposed all the weaknesses of the Rotel player. In came the Jolida, a much better fit. Once I got my Logans, the Last of the Rotels had to go, in came the Monarchy audio amps. Now the bug is biting to see how much more improvement I can get out of this rig by just changing the player.

Cambridge audio 740C

All I can say is WOW!!! The best description I can give of the overall sound of this player is "rich sound" I'm now dying to hear the 840.

I had a listening session on Sunday, and I now have to take the player to my buddies house this weekend. He wants to hear it in his system, just to be sure he will enjoy it as much as he did in my system. He is ready to put his Meridian
I think a G06 up for sale and get the 840. He likes how smooth the mids and highs are, and the bottom end kicks some @#$.

I'd have to cast my vote for the Rega or the naim.

However if you want to stretch your budget to $2200, I've got
the CJ UDP-1 ($4500 list) in mint condition that Im going to sell.

Trading up to a Meridian 800 for the HT setup, so no longer
need it. Plays everything CD, SACD, DVD-a and DVD-v.

Great player!!

I'd love to hear the CD players that you like in the under $1000 price range and what you consider their strengths/weaknesses. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rick

Are you talking new I assume?

I used to have a Carey tube player and it was really quite good. I forget the model # (CD-301?). I think it was their only model that was tube in and out (4 tubes). Nice and detailed yet smooth with the right tubes. Paid $1000 for it used.
Currently I use an EAD T-1000 and DSP 7000ii combo that I got used but mint for $750. This actually is even better than the Cary IMHO on detail and staging. Plays pretty much any disc you can fit in the tray, burned or bought.

Latest posts

Back