Genetics?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aerius007

Reaction score
A previous post reminded of how I first got into high-end audio so I thought I would ask if anyone has had this passed on to them from their dad. When I was just a kid my pops bought a stereo that at the time was pretty cool. It had these tall Infinity speakers with ribbon tweets, sorry I dont remember the model, and all Sumo components. The amp was named "The Nine" and he also had a Sumo tuner and preamp, one of which was called "Charlie." I guess this stuff was designed by the Ampzilla guy which I only remember hearing about. Come to think of it for his source he used a Nakamichi cassette deck and when cd's came out I think he bought a Sony. Now for his main system he uses my old Energy bookshelf speakers and some old Luxman stuff:( , go figure.

Maybe...I suppose it could have been for me.

My parents had an old console stereo player with a AM radio and record player. They always had it playing on Sundays all day long for the most part. So I was always used to hearing music in the house on the weekends. The entire collection was 78's. As I grew older, around 14 or 15 years old, my Father bought me my first stereo, a Lafayette 4 channel receiver with four Rectilinear bookshelf speakers. That's where it started and only grew from there. After graduating from High School, I found myself registering for audio engineering school. I worked at a recording studio, my brother played drums, and the other brother played guitar. As the years passed my interest in higher end gear kept growing.

I suppose you could say it is genetic for my brothers and I.

A previous post reminded of how I first got into high-end audio so I thought I would ask if anyone has had this passed on to them from their dad. When I was just a kid my pops bought a stereo that at the time was pretty cool. It had these tall Infinity speakers with ribbon tweets, sorry I dont remember the model, and all Sumo components. The amp was named "The Nine" and he also had a Sumo tuner and preamp, one of which was called "Charlie." I guess this stuff was designed by the Ampzilla guy which I only remember hearing about. Come to think of it for his source he used a Nakamichi cassette deck and when cd's came out I think he bought a Sony. Now for his main system he uses my old Energy bookshelf speakers and some old Luxman stuff:( , go figure.

That "Ampzilla" guy was named James Bongiorno and he's back in business with a new Ampzilla. The original also came in kit form and I built one. I had one of the few kits that worked. It was quite an amp in its day. I used to really enjoy listening to my DQ 10s with it. (Anyone remember DQ 10s?)

My dad used to repair electronics in the 70s. When I was a kid, he always had the cool old Marantz and Fisher stuff floating around the house. Nothing too "high end", but enough to tinker with. It was all cool shiny toys to me...but I guess it caught on. Genetic? Not sure, but they say if you have an alcoholic parent, you are much more likely to be an alcoholic. Same may apply to the love of audio. :)

My family genetics do not include audiophile genes. I must be the ba$tard son of my friend’s father. During High School in the 80s, a friend’s father started it all for me. He had a pile of Nakamichi equipment with a Thorens TT and old Klipsch horn speakers. I couldn't help but drool every time I went over his house.

Tom’s posts about his Nakamichi Dragon brought those memories back.

Last edited:
The one thing I remember was that my father had this silver Sony boombox from back in the early 80's and that he recorded me on tape (no videocams back then) so I would listen to myself on the Sony boombox....

Maybe it's not so much a genetic/congenital thing as opposed to an acquired trait... this audiophile bug of ours.

Joey :)

Back