Front tilt and Great results

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Well I was bored today and did some more tweaking. I never played with the rear adjuster feet on my big Quest's as I had small kids and was worried about the potential falling over of them. I was just searching for a better sound and was a tad frustrated. The Bass was a tad lacking and the image was a bit high. ( I liked the way the sounded by sitting on a bar stool) I figured I would adjust the rear foot up as to get a slight forward tilt. BOY was I surprised ! I started to get the image I was looking for . I decided to raise them about 3/4 inch in the rear . They have a distinctively forward tilt . (Not so to be unsafe. I tested them) . I also added 1 inch to the inside toe in. I cant believe what has just happened. I started listening to the RIPPINGTONS featuring Russ Freeman. "Wild Card" It has plenty of bass guitar and good bass drums. At first it was muddy sounding . It wasn't the image . It was bass muddy. These Quest have never been bass heavy in my opinion. I said to my self . Why don't I turn the sub off and tune the system and then Ill turn it back on and blend it back together.

Well let me tell you this Never in my house have I heard this tight of bass and smooth of mid range. I was AMAZED at the bass I was getting. It was gut moving bass from just the Quest's . This was the bass I heard the big KRELL is famous for. BOY WAS I EXCITED. (had a Pilsner Urquel to celebrate).

Well I thought that the sub would really pick it up a notch now . I plunged it back in and suddenly it was way to bass muddled. I turned the sub down, way down. I even adjusted the x-over to 40 hz . I tried just about every setting and adjustment. It would never meet the tight speed of the Logan's alone. THIS WAS FANTASTIC. The sound I always wanted from these speakers.

I don't know if it was just pure luck or the constant urge to tweak that lead me to try but this. Remember I just re organized my listening room . I can tell you FRONT TILT WILL IMPROVE YOUR SOUND.
Remember all this was done after this .....http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3107

Last edited:
Well I was bored today and did some more tweaking. I never played with the rear adjuster feet on my big Quest,s as I had small kids and was woried about the potential falling over of them. I was just searching for a better sound and was a tad frusterated. The Bass was a tad lacking and the image was a bit high. ( I liked the way the sounded by sitting on a bar stool) I figured I would adjust the rear foot up as to get a slight forward tilt. BOY was I suprised ! I started to get the imige I was looking for . I decided to raise them about 3/4 inch in the rear . They have a distinctively forward tilt . (Not so to be unsafe. I tested them) . I also added 1 inch to the inside toe in. I cant believe what has just happened. I started listining to the RIPPINGTONS featuring Russ Freeman. "Wild Card" It has plenty of bass guitar and good bass drums. At first it was muddy sounding . It wasnt the image . It was bass muddy. These Quest have never been bass heavy in my opinion. I said to my self . Why dont I turn the sub off and tune the system and then Ill turn it back on and blend it back together.

Well let me tell you this Never in my house have I heard this tight of bass and smooth of midrange. I was AMAZED at the bass I was getting. It was gut moving bass from just the Quest's . This was the bass I heard the big KRELL is famous for. BOY WAS I EXCITED. (had a Pilsner Urquel to celebrate).

Well I thought that the sub would realy pick it up a notch now . I pluged it back in and sudenly it was way to bass muddled. I turned the sub down, way down. I even adjusted the x-over to 40 hz . I tried just about every setting and adjustment. It would never meet the tight speed of the Logans alone. THIS WAS FANTASTIC. The sound I always wanted from these speakers.

I dont know if it was just pure luck or the constant urge to tweek that lead me to try but this. Remember I just re organized my listening room . I can tell you FRONT TILT WILL IMPROVE YOUR SOUND.
Remember all this

Glad you got some great "new" sound for the New Year... I've also noticed an improvement with a slight frontwards tilt. By the way, I love Pilsner Urquell. Did you know it was the first Pilsner ever made? Just wonder if it tastes the same in the U.S. as it does in Prague?

Fascinating Tweak...

C.A.P.,

;) I'll have to give it a try with my Ascent i's and see if their is an improvement with my mains. Sonic Nirvana improvement could always be even better... :D Especially for HT dynamics... :band:

Attachments

• Funny Kitty 2.jpg
    Funny Kitty 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 786
Just wonder if it tastes the same in the U.S. as it does in Prague?

Is this finally a clue regarding where in EU does SugarMedia hide ? Anyway, pilsner urquell (urquelle in german means "the first, original source") is a welcomed guest and friend at my place, too. And yes, it's 2007 here, happy new year the the whole club, and girls and guys, let's remember that 2007 will be forever remembered as... the year of the CLX !! Of course, the first getting them - and reporting about - will be Joey, no surprise here :D

... I don't know if it was just pure luck or the constant urge to tweak that lead me to try but this. Remember I just re organized my listening room . I can tell you FRONT TILT WILL IMPROVE YOUR SOUND.
Remember all this was done after this .....http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3107

C.A.P, congrats in the improvements.

I believe that having the panel faces being absolutely perpendicular to the seated listener are a requirement for best ESL sound. What this does is increase the amount of first incidence ESL radiation you get (vs reflections. Which is why I do not subscribe to the latest ‘tilt-back’ designs from ML. First-gen boy all the way here…

That aside, the toe-in is critical, as is the amount and direction of rear reflections you are getting, this is what is improving your mid-bass for you. You might even want to experiment with some heavy absorption in the rear of the speakers to obtain even more mid-bass.

Glad it’s more to your liking. Enjoy!

Cheers,

I believe that having the panel faces being absolutely perpendicular to the seated listener are a requirement for best ESL sound. What this does is increase the amount of first incidence ESL radiation you get (vs reflections. Which is why I do not subscribe to the latest ‘tilt-back’ designs from ML. First-gen boy all the way here…

Cheers,

This is one of the things I like about the Prodigy too. They seem to be perpendicular to the listener. I like that look...not to mention the sound. The Ascent look good with them too! LOL!

This is one of the things I like about the Prodigy too. They seem to be perpendicular to the listener. I like that look...not to mention the sound. The Ascent look good with them too! LOL!

I noticed that I had to get a taller chair to compensate for the laid-back design of my Summits...

That's actually a recommendation in the instruction manual for the Aeon I.
I was going to try it at some point, now I will for sure.:D

That aside, the toe-in is critical, as is the amount and direction of rear reflections you are getting, this is what is improving your mid-bass for you. You might even want to experiment with some heavy absorption in the rear of the speakers to obtain even more mid-bass.

Glad it’s more to your liking. Enjoy!

Cheers,

I to thought this too. However; in my case its not true. They are actually tilted forward a tad . With the panels having a slight angle down towards the floor. Almost like what Martin Logan did with the Prodigy's . May be its the room I am in or the way they are set up but boy I LIKE IT. Sometimes logic is just plain out confusing in audio..

Ill try some room treatment for even better MID bass. Right now I'm waiting on a special made window blind to arrive .It was thought out before buying this for sound .

I to thought this too. However; in my case its not true. They are actually tilted forward a tad . With the panels having a slight angle down towards the floor. Almost like what Martin Logan did with the Prodigy's . May be its the room I am in or the way they are set up but boy I LIKE IT. Sometimes logic is just plain out confusing in audio..

Ill try some room treatment for even better MID bass. Right now I'm waiting on a special made window blind to arrive .It was thought out before buying this for sound .

I think it has alot to do with how far you are from the ground. I guess the taller you are the less tilt required.

...... You might even want to experiment with some heavy absorption in the rear of the speakers to obtain even more mid-bass.

Cheers,

I found that heavy velvet curtains behind the Summits caused vocals to sound like the singer has got a stuffy nose! :eek:

Ben

I adjusted my speakers last night, they are now level (no back tilt). It has an amazing effect on the soundstage.
I found that the stage is more focused, especially the voices.

See if you can push them past perpendicular a tad more(forward) and experiment a bit more;) Cant hurt and if you don't like it. you can always go back ;)
It worked wonders for me . Room sizes and set up will have a big factor on this I think as if you have a large enough room for optimum set up it may be a different story .

See if you can push them past perpendicular a tad more(forward) and experiment a bit more;) Cant hurt and if you don't like it. you can always go back ;)
It worked wonders for me . Room sizes and set up will have a big factor on this I think as if you have a large enough room for optimum set up it may be a different story .

I think the rare spikes are at their max height, the fronts are all the way in.
Should I put something beneath them, like a small floor tile?

I think the rare spikes are at their max height, the fronts are all the way in.
Should I put something beneath them, like a small floor tile?

That's what I have been using. I have two, half-cut pieces of travertine under each speaker. I also had to factor in that my chair sits a bit lower that I guess other chairs might.

I have my speakers with the rear heel raised because it projects the trebble/high frequencies better. And because the speakers are raised on three inch sand box platforms I also need the angle.

I have my speakers with the rear heel raised because it projects the trebble/high frequencies better. And because the speakers are raised on three inch sand box platforms I also need the angle.

I like the sand boxes and the, lights:D I have mine on 12x12 tiles.

I tried the slight front tilt, as oppose to level. I didn't hear any difference in SQ.
I returned them to level. Level was a marked improvement over the back tilt.

Thanks guys.

PS. any magical things I can do to my old amp to improve the SQ?:D

Remember Greglett,.... these are big Quest speakers and the panels are 6 ft at the top . Smaller speakers probably wont need as much forward tilt.

Back