front-firing vs. down-firing subwoofers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

euphonia

Reaction score
Has anybody done some comparisons of front-firing vs. down-firing sub-woofers used with CLS ll 's.

Has anybody done some comparisons of front-firing vs. down-firing sub-woofers used with CLS ll 's.
Yes, of course we had. To my ears, I like down-firing, and very little volume of it in my room. Your room could be different. Down-firing gives me enough not located bass, but it gives me the very lower notes that I liked. and my CLSIIZ needed. Front firing is too much cone sound, even that I had cutted them around 55Hz, where blended is very nice. Again, this is in my room, and my liking. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I have a down firing ACI Saturn using an OAUDIO plate amp and AC-12 woofer( no longer available) in one corner and a Depth i in the other...the Saturn is cleaner and spreads the sound in a manner which makes it hard point out it's location ...the Depth points right to itself...if I were to start from scratch I would do a pair of Rythmic Audio subs in a down firing configuration.

I see for the commercially available Linkwitz Thor subwoofer, it is in a down-firing configuration. Also on the plans for the Rhythmik enclosure, it too is a down-firing configuration. Do the t/s parameters change in a down-firing configuration from front-firing?

I believe it depends on where you cross-over and at what slope the crossover is operating at.

At 60Hz and 24dB/Octave, there should be no noticeable difference between configurations. To accurately compare, use the same box, and point down or forwards; comparing brand A to brand B to determine this is useless.

Back