Fosgate Signature Phono-Pre update........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
My initial foray into an all tube phono stage has had a rather rough start. The unit was virtually brand new, (acquied it from a friend who got in then quickly out of analog) it might of had five hrs on it. Within the first three hours that I had it in use it puked out two bad 12 AX-7's, after replacing them with a couple of Electro Harmonix tubes I happened to have everything is working perfectly.

At this point I have ten hours tops on the unit and so far my impressions are that of mid-range magic, to be expected with tubes combined with really sweet and very 'airy' highs, at least to the point that these old ears can hear. I'm a little concerned with the lower registers though, the bass seems a little bloated. Now I'm not sure that is the whole perception or rather a 'cause and effect' from the very deep soundstage produced. One that was apparent over my ARC PH-5.

I expect to have my PH-5 back from ARC in couple of weeks at which point I'll have more hrs on the Fosgate and then I'll conduct my own 'shoot out'.

In so far as tube rolling is concerned I want to give this thing another twenty hrs or so and then I'll see if a replacement or two can rectify, then again maybe a little more run in time will help.

I'll keep all posted as I go along.............

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,422
Dave, are you evaluating it with the cartidge loaded down or wide open (47K, I think)?

I suggest that you try it wide open too, just because some magazine reviewers have stated that they prefer 47K for any cartridge. That's one thing about cartridges ....soooo many variables to futz with. Then if you throw in tube-rolling........it's almost enough to make you go digital!

You should see if your buddies at the store in Wilmington (can't remember the name) will lend you the ARC Ref Phono 2 for evaluation.

I like posts like these Dave... where folks share their day-to-day perceptions on various components, new or otherwise. I hope to do more of that now that the weather has cooled down a bit and I can listen to my system in relative comfort (without the damned AC unit humming away in the background).

Cheers

I suggest that you try it wide open too, just because some magazine reviewers have stated that they prefer 47K for any cartridge. .

Ok.......last nite I listened @ the 47k ohm load setting and came away with the session feeling that things were somwhat veiled, the somewhat bass heaviness remained. Ok so this morning as I'm enjoying my Seattle's Best #4 coffee I'm reading over everything I can find relative the Fosgate my cartridge(Benz Micro Glider SM) and my ARC LS-26.

Here's my theory / thought going forward...............the stated gain of the Fosgate is 60db, now with that gain being provided by a pair of 6922 tubes and a 12 AT7 I'm wondering is it possible that it could vary 'upward' from that number ? With that being said it has been said in several reviews that the med output Glider (0.8 mv) can become overloaded with too much gain (above 60db)...............Also in addition my ARC LS-26 provides a 'gain' selection for input level signals, I will set that from High to Med for my next listening go-around to see if that has an effect.

So for the next session I'll load the cart @ 200 ohms and select the gain on my pre-amp to 'Med'

Stay tuned .................

Dave, what music are you using for the evaluation (acoustic or electronic), and at what levels? I'm not looking for db numbers, just loud, soft, etc.

You said that the bass heaviness remained with the 47k load. Did you try adjusting the VTA? Yes, I am trying to drive you nuts. :)

no need to drive me nuts.......I have a wife for that !

anyways last nites music selection was varied......Dire Straights, Wille Nelson / Wyton Marsalis, along with some Blue Haven Studio Blues recordings. I have not adj VTA from my initial set up of the Glider (it seemed perfect with my PH-5)........I'll first try my other idea tonite and see what happens.

FWIW, There is another discussion on the Fosgate going on over at the AVS forum.....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20962300#post20962300

paitence is a virtue !!

HI Bernard, as of late my analog time has been severly limited (too busy trying to manage five railroads !), anyways I've stayed put with the 200ohm loading on the Fosgate. I was in a 'Emmylou Harris' mood last weekend and all sounded good !

Back