For DTB300

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverb2009

Reaction score
Here ya go Dan,

You were curious what I was looking at replacing my Logan's with?

Well I'm about 98% sure this is my next speaker.

Say hello to "the Symmetrica"!
4_1_61.gif

Brewhahahahahahaha....

SymmetricaSansBase21.jpg

Symmetrica42.jpg

Symmetrica21.jpg

Sym21.jpg

These are a non typical line array. They Use thirty-two 3" HiVi woofers and 8 Fountek Ribbons per tower. The thirty-two 3" woofers move the equivalent amount of air as seven 7" woofers. The sensitivity should be in the upper 90's range, and they will play down to about 100Hz. But the Symmetica's have an optional subwoofer bass that will elevate the tower higher up and loaded with a 12" woofer will fill in the 100Hz and below area.

Last edited:
Great Googaly Moogaly! If you get those, I may just have to jump on a plane to head out to the west coast and see what they're all about. They look like monolithic statues:D

Oh, didn't know that it was a Selah product. I might need to drive up 2 hrs and go listen to them.

Nice speaker, I'd love to hear them one day. I'm sure it's got the ability to really sound fantastic in your system once set up. It sort of reminds me of the big Infinity QRS I heard many years ago.

Last edited:
Oh, didn't know that it was a Selah product. I might need to drive up 2 hrs and go listen to them.

Yep, they are designed by Rick Crag of Selah Audio and there is very little info on them right now, they are not on the website yet, Rick is finishing up the crossover design as we speak.

Net looking speaker. I have never heard Ribbon tweeters before.

If you have never heard a line array before it's unlike any cone speaker you have ever listened to. It's like one big wall of sounds, because of chaining all the speakers together the distortion is super low and the sensitivity is super high, just about any amp can run them. With so many woofers, like an ESL you wont even notice the cones moving, there are so many working together they barley have to move to give you this very detailed sound.

Nice speaker, I'd love to hear them one day. I'm sure it's got the ability to really sound fantastic in your system once set up. It sort of reminds me of the big Infinity QRS I heard many years ago.

The difference between this and the Infinity is when these are coupled with there bass stands they will be over 7 feet tall.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Great to have you back with us Joe!:) Yes those Symmetrica speakers look pretty impressive. Are you planning on replacing your Logans with these in the near term, or is it something further down the road?

Seth

Great to have you back with us Joe!:) Yes those Symmetrica speakers look pretty impressive. Are you planning on replacing your Logans with these in the near term, or is it something further down the road?

Seth

Hi Seth,

Long time no talk to.

O' and by the way, I would just like to say "DAMN YOU!" :D lol

I saw your thread the other day about HDMI pre-amps and looked more into the Marantz AV-8003, well long story short I saw your thread on Friday, inquired with a dealer on Saturday about it, sold my Anthem Statement D1 on A-gon Sunday and signed the check for the Marantz this afternoon. All because of you! Thanks buddy. lol :haha1:

Also while I was at the dealer the associate helping me asked about my system and I told him it was front projection and he asked what screen I was using? I told him I was still using a white wall I still haven't gotten a screen. He comes back and says have I got a dear for you, we have this special ordered screen, customer returned it a week later for another screen, it is brand new no box it's an $1100 Stewart screen manager just wants it out will give it to you at coast $450.00. That was yesterday went back today he said he would do $400 they want it out. So Saturday I get a new 110" Stewart screen and in a few weeks a new Preamp too. :p

Yes they will replace my martin Logan's. My new system will be home theater only, I want to do a smaller 2ch rig later with Martin Logan's, maybe the Purity's. I tried to walk the HT, 2ch line and IMO sacrificed something on both sides. I never got eather one to the level I wanted because pushing one sacrificed the other, so I am going to do two rigs.

Last edited:
Hi Joe !

Sounds like a killer "HT" in the making for sure ! Given your penchant for Ht i think you're going about it the right way. A sweet M/L two channel rig down the road, it what sounds like a smaller intimate listening setin should be "just as sweet"

Congrats !!

Hi Seth,

Long time no talk to.

O' and by the way, I would just like to say "DAMN YOU!" :D lol

I saw your thread the other day about HDMI pre-amps and looked more into the Marantz AV-8003, well long story short I saw your thread on Friday, inquired with a dealer on Saturday about it, sold my Anthem Statement D1 on A-gon Sunday and signed the check for the Marantz this afternoon. All because of you! Thanks buddy. lol :haha1:

Also while I was at the dealer the associate helping me asked about my system and I told him it was front projection and he asked what screen I was using? I told him I was still using a white wall I still haven't gotten a screen. He comes back and says have I got a dear for you, we have this special ordered screen, customer returned it a week later for another screen, it is brand new no box it's an $1100 Stewart screen manager just wants it out will give it to you at coast $450.00. That was yesterday went back today he said he would do $400 they want it out. So Saturday I get a new 110" Stewart screen and in a few weeks a new Preamp too. :p

Yes they will replace my martin Logan's. My new system will be home theater only, I want to do a smaller 2ch rig later with Martin Logan's, maybe the Purity's. I tried to walk the HT, 2ch line and IMO sacrificed something on both sides. I never got eather one to the level I wanted because pushing one sacrificed the other, so I am going to do two rigs.

Oops! see what I've gone and done!:D LOL! Wow that is big news! Being that the Marantz unit shares a lot of goodies from the Denon AVP, it looks to be one helluva pre/pro! I think you're gonna have a lot of fun with it! Congratulations Joe! That is too cool!

Wow! there's now four of us Martin Logan owners with new pre/pro's from the Denon & Marantz family. There's me, Waboman, and JonFo with Denon AVP-A1HDCI's, and now you with a Marantz AV-8003! Awesome!

And that is one freaking amazing deal you got on that 110 inch Stewart Filmscreen! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! WOW!!! I am so jealous!;) New screen, new pre/pro, possible new speakers. I'm happy for you man!

Yeah I also have to say I agree with your assessment that having a dedicated 2 channel setup and a dedicated HT setup is without a doubt the ultimate way to go. Right now I am very happy with the way music and movies sound through the Denon AVP, but at some point in time when I finally get a dedicated HT room built, I am also going to have a dedicated 2 channel music room built as well. At that point the Denon AVP is definitely going in the HT room, it's an amazing unit. And right now since my HT room also does double duty as a 2 channel music room, the AVP fits the bill perfectly. I have been enjoying the music streaming so much that I hardly listen to physical CD's anymore.

Looking forward to you getting those cool new toys! You are going to take some pix of the whole new look right?

Thanks Joe for sharing the way cool news. And it makes me feel good knowing that I kinda helped with this new pre/pro purchase of yours. Things could not have worked out any better for ya bud!

Seth

Hi Joe !

Sounds like a killer "HT" in the making for sure ! Given your penchant for Ht i think you're going about it the right way. A sweet M/L two channel rig down the road, it what sounds like a smaller intimate listening setin should be "just as sweet"

Congrats !!

I have always been an HT guy, just like everyone else on here when I heard Martin Logan's for the first time I was hooked. I have lived with my Logan's for about 5 years, over time I have grown to hate them for HT. I still love them for 2ch but for HT IMO there limited. If I was going to keep them for HT I would par them with Krell gear because I have always love the sound of Martin Loan's paired with Krell for HT, for 2ch Krell is too much, hence the reason why I want to do two rigs. The sound I like from HT and 2ch are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum.

I have two different preferences of gear I like for HT and 2ch I have always tried to pick gear that's good for both, I have now decided to just go one way. With my current setup it is truly reference, my gear is better then the soundtracks I was listening too. It was then that I decided I was spending more time tweaking and refining my system and less time enjoying it, that's why I am redoing it and in some ways scaling it back and going for full on HT. I want a system I am happy with and can just sit back and enjoy. I built that reference system I always wanted, now it's time to go for that system my friends and family can truly enjoy together and not just one or two people in the middle of the couch.

Oops! see what I've gone and done!:D LOL! Wow that is big news! Being that the Marantz unit shares a lot of goodies from the Denon AVP, it looks to be one helluva pre/pro! I think you're gonna have a lot of fun with it! Congratulations Joe! That is too cool!

Wow! there's now four of us Martin Logan owners with new pre/pro's from the Denon & Marantz family. There's me, Waboman, and JonFo with Denon AVP-A1HDCI's, and now you with a Marantz AV-8003! Awesome!

And that is one freaking amazing deal you got on that 110 inch Stewart Filmscreen! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! WOW!!! I am so jealous!;) New screen, new pre/pro, possible new speakers. I'm happy for you man!

Yeah I also have to say I agree with your assessment that having a dedicated 2 channel setup and a dedicated HT setup is without a doubt the ultimate way to go. Right now I am very happy with the way music and movies sound through the Denon AVP, but at some point in time when I finally get a dedicated HT room built, I am also going to have a dedicated 2 channel music room built as well. At that point the Denon AVP is definitely going in the HT room, it's an amazing unit. And right now since my HT room also does double duty as a 2 channel music room, the AVP fits the bill perfectly. I have been enjoying the music streaming so much that I hardly listen to physical CD's anymore.

Looking forward to you getting those cool new toys! You are going to take some pix of the whole new look right?

Thanks Joe for sharing the way cool news. And it makes me feel good knowing that I kinda helped with this new pre/pro purchase of yours. Things could not have worked out any better for ya bud!

Seth

Ya I'm Getty as a school girl in anticipation of my new toys. :rocker:

Unfortunately the Marantz was just released a week ago and is sold out everywhere, the 2nd shipment go's out next week but Marantz is telling my dealer they may not see a unit till the 3rd shipment end of July:(. My dealer is however calling in a favor and is trying to pull some strings to get one sooner.

The funny part is my dealer didnt know this unit existed till I came in asking for it and they don't stock Marantz gear they just order it as needed, now that they have seen the spec's and its a feature loaded bargain for $2600 there trying to get a 2nd unit for the store, lol.

It was funny on Monday when I was in there they asked me how I sold my Anthem so fast and I said Audiogon and they gave me this blank stair. I introduced them to Agon, now they want to unload some of there open box stuff on there. I made a joke at home Monday night maybe they will hire me because they seamed to be impressed with my AV knowledge. Today the dealer offered me a job LOL! When I took the check in today they asked if I would be interest in a position later in the year when there season starts back up. :p

Ya, I agree I think things worked out well, I was not planing on upgrading anything in my system yet but after seeing the Marantz and there was some value left in my D1 I jumped. I don't know if you noticed but the used market value for receivers and preamps without HDMI is dropping like crazy, you can get a Lexicon MC12 for cheap.

Hi Joe, Sweet looking speakers.

I’ve been a long time admirer of Sela’s designs. They offer good value.

A big line array is about the only class of speaker that will impress an ML owner long-term, as they throw the same class of soundstage (minus the rear reflections, which for HT is a plus).

The effortless dynamics are also comparable. Ultra-low distortion from distributing the load amongst so many drivers.

I look forward to your reviews of these :rocker:

I have always been an HT guy, just like everyone else on here when I heard Martin Logan's for the first time I was hooked. I have lived with my Logan's for about 5 years, over time I have grown to hate them for HT. I still love them for 2ch but for HT IMO there limited. If I was going to keep them for HT I would par them with Krell gear because I have always love the sound of Martin Loan's paired with Krell for HT, for 2ch Krell is too much, hence the reason why I want to do two rigs. The sound I like from HT and 2ch are on completely opposite sides of the spectrum.

I have two different preferences of gear I like for HT and 2ch I have always tried to pick gear that's good for both, I have now decided to just go one way. With my current setup it is truly reference, my gear is better then the soundtracks I was listening too. It was then that I decided I was spending more time tweaking and refining my system and less time enjoying it, that's why I am redoing it and in some ways scaling it back and going for full on HT. I want a system I am happy with and can just sit back and enjoy. I built that reference system I always wanted, now it's time to go for that system my friends and family can truly enjoy together and not just one or two people in the middle of the couch.

Joe, I understand that you have not liked the results you’ve had with ML’s for HT, but as I’ve said before, I believe it’s due to room interface issues.

ML’s (and all dipoles for that matter) have serious challenges when doing HT, as they engage so much more of the room than controlled directivity point source speakers do.

So even your new Selah’s will present some challenges in terms of room interface (i.e. they will energize ‘bad’ room modes much more than point sources might). However, the controlled directivity (vertically) of line sources is a benefit regardless of purpose.

I really wish more of you could come hear my system, as it totally (IMHO) kills arguments over 2ch vs HT. A well treated room, designed for ML’s can deliver outstanding performance on ALL classes of music or soundtracks. This should be true of any reference system, absolutely clean delivery of the soundfields encoded on the recording (or generated in the processor) with minimum ‘room’ signature overlayed.

Matter of fact, with this rig, I rarely do 2Ch only, as TriField processing in the Meridian gear is superior to straight up 2ch for most material (but does require a good center).

In my experience, way too many dedicated 2ch systems are attempts to minimize room interaction (or to leverage room ‘signature’), and that’s why they are popular.

I’m the first to agree that doing a great HT systems with line arrays is a challenge (and doubly so for dipoles). But the results are stunning.

Ya I'm Getty as a school girl in anticipation of my new toys. :rocker:

Unfortunately the Marantz was just released a week ago and is sold out everywhere, the 2nd shipment go's out next week but Marantz is telling my dealer they may not see a unit till the 3rd shipment end of July:(. My dealer is however calling in a favor and is trying to pull some strings to get one sooner.

The funny part is my dealer didnt know this unit existed till I came in asking for it and they don't stock Marantz gear they just order it as needed, now that they have seen the spec's and its a feature loaded bargain for $2600 there trying to get a 2nd unit for the store, lol.

It was funny on Monday when I was in there they asked me how I sold my Anthem so fast and I said Audiogon and they gave me this blank stair. I introduced them to Agon, now they want to unload some of there open box stuff on there. I made a joke at home Monday night maybe they will hire me because they seamed to be impressed with my AV knowledge. Today the dealer offered me a job LOL! When I took the check in today they asked if I would be interest in a position later in the year when there season starts back up. :p

Ya, I agree I think things worked out well, I was not planing on upgrading anything in my system yet but after seeing the Marantz and there was some value left in my D1 I jumped. I don't know if you noticed but the used market value for receivers and preamps without HDMI is dropping like crazy, you can get a Lexicon MC12 for cheap.

It's interesting you mentioning about how your dealer didn't even know about the Marantz piece until you told him about it. Back when I got my Denon AVP my dealer also had not heard of it. So I was the very first to get an AVP from his store. Yes the Marantz is definitely a bargain for $2600. I think it's going to be an amazing piece.

Pretty cool how they learned so much from you. The Marantz pre/pro, Audiogon. Them offering you a job really goes to show just how impressed they were with your AV knowledge. That is just so wild, go in looking to buy a new pre/pro, and not only end up getting one heck of a deal on a screen but a job offer as well.

Again congrats bud!

Seth

Joe,

I hope you get your Marantz AV-8003 soon. I am really close to ordering one for myself, but I want to hear what people think about the sound of it.

Let us know your impressions of it once you receive it.

Chuck

Hi Joe, Sweet looking speakers.

I’ve been a long time admirer of Sela’s designs. They offer good value.

A big line array is about the only class of speaker that will impress an ML owner long-term, as they throw the same class of soundstage (minus the rear reflections, which for HT is a plus).

The effortless dynamics are also comparable. Ultra-low distortion from distributing the load amongst so many drivers.

I look forward to your reviews of these :rocker:

Not 100% sure I am getting a set, if I do it will be as a kit and I will build the box and assemble them. I really want to move up to a line array, but they all are so big! Nice thing about this one is its size is much more manageable compared to some of the other 7+ ft 300+ pound behemoths out there.

Joe, I understand that you have not liked the results you’ve had with ML’s for HT, but as I’ve said before, I believe it’s due to room interface issues.

ML’s (and all dipoles for that matter) have serious challenges when doing HT, as they engage so much more of the room than controlled directivity point source speakers do.

So even your new Selah’s will present some challenges in terms of room interface (i.e. they will energize ‘bad’ room modes much more than point sources might). However, the controlled directivity (vertically) of line sources is a benefit regardless of purpose.

I really wish more of you could come hear my system, as it totally (IMHO) kills arguments over 2ch vs HT. A well treated room, designed for ML’s can deliver outstanding performance on ALL classes of music or soundtracks. This should be true of any reference system, absolutely clean delivery of the soundfields encoded on the recording (or generated in the processor) with minimum ‘room’ signature overlayed.

Matter of fact, with this rig, I rarely do 2Ch only, as TriField processing in the Meridian gear is superior to straight up 2ch for most material (but does require a good center).

In my experience, way too many dedicated 2ch systems are attempts to minimize room interaction (or to leverage room ‘signature’), and that’s why they are popular.

I’m the first to agree that doing a great HT systems with line arrays is a challenge (and doubly so for dipoles). But the results are stunning.

I have played with many types of acoustic treatments and listened to other Martin Logan owners systems. It is not the rooms I am herring but the speakers. Besides it's not the towers I have a problem with but ML's center channels, they suck IMO. I was hoping the stage was going to be an improvement over the Theater but it was a side step at best IMO. If they would have made the stage bigger with 6 or 7" powered drivers I think it would have been the center I had been waiting for.

And I was not saying HT systems can't do 2 ch, I am saying I like to different types of sound for my HT and 2 ch. I like a much brighter livelier sound for HT but something more relaxed and musical for 2 channels. Thats why I want to brake the two up, so I have two systems that do what I want and not just one that is almost good enough for both. :musicnote:

EDIT:
I have also been wanting to try some tube gear, not something practical for HT, and maybe adding a turntable to my 2 channel setup sounds nice. : )

Last edited:
Back