First responders ....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I sincerely, sincerely hope that every single republican views this video. It speaks volumes about the TRUE nature of current republican leadership.

FWIW, Mitch McConnell makes me want to puke. He is a sorry excuse for a leader, just a hack politician that appear to care nothing for the American People.

Demanding "My Way or the Highway" regarding tax cuts for the super-rich -- THAT seems to be the central issue that the republicans care about. Never mind true heros that came to the rescue of so many on 9/11.
:puke:

But, ask me how I really feel...

I sincerely, sincerely hope that every single republican views this video. It speaks volumes about the TRUE nature of current republican leadership.

Len, I trully think that it (leadership.....lack there of) does NOT seperate itself along party lines. Again, as I've stated in the past, Washington, DC is nothing but the 'Good 'ole boys club' ....on both sides of the isle ! Maybe some day we can get away from the scumbag lawyers we elect to run our Country......one can only hope !

As for the video....... tragic in the post treament of those and other responders, yes it is, but remember it is Jon Stewart and four 'card carrying' union members.............'Bombs Away Dream Babies' ..[/QUOTE]

I agree with Dave that both sides are pretty well broken. But I do find it to be amazing how clueless the American People are to the BS put forth by the republican party. They use the patriotism generated by 9/11 as blackmail to force us into two wars, at least one of which was entirely unrelated to 9/11 and completely unnecessary. And then they play political games with something like this.

Likewise, the wars, the Bush tax cuts, and two recessions combined to bring about the huge federal deficit we are dealing with right now. They campaign on fiscal responsibility and reducing the deficit and get back in office. So what is the first thing they do (with Obama's approval, no less)? They extend the costly tax cuts. How is that showing fiscal responsibility?

Budget 101, guys. You can't continue to spend more money every year, and take in less income every year, and pretend you are going to balance the budget. The deficit commission specifically suggested that they let the tax cuts expire AND reduce spending if they want to get the deficit under control. Did we hear anything about that recommendation during the debate on the tax cuts? In fact, have we heard anything about the deficit at all since the election? Nope. They used it as a political scare tactic, and then conveniently forgot about it. And we won't hear another word about it until they decide they want to start cutting democratic-favored entitlement programs. Then we will hear how awful the deficit is and and how it is ruining America and how we must regain some fiscal responsibility.

And you know, the democrats aren't any better. Reid and Pelosi haven't accomplished anything positive for the American People in the last two years. Obama talked about Change and all these things he was going to try to do differently, up to the point that he got elected. Then you didn't hear very much about Change. Worse, Obama has turned out to be a supreme wimp. He didn't really fight very hard to make the health care initiative what it could have and should have been. He hasn't taken a hard line on anything with the republicans since he has been in office. And he totally gave in on the tax cut issue without a fight, something that he could have used as leverage in negotiations once the new congress is installed. So where does that leave him? Relatively powerless to accomplish anything for the rest of his term. So that is four more years that nothing good gets done for the people of this country after eight years of nothing good getting done under Bush.

It really is disgusting and the worst part is that we generally don't have a choice. Every election, our choices are between bad, really bad, and a whole lot worse! We have idiots running for office; we have power-hungry narcissists running for office; and we have direct representatives of special interests running for office. When we do have someone decent running, we often don't trust them because they are a "newcomer" in the public eye. So we just continue the status quo.

Len, I trully think that it (leadership.....lack there of) does NOT seperate itself along party lines. Again, as I've stated in the past, Washington, DC is nothing but the 'Good 'ole boys club' ....on both sides of the isle ! Maybe some day we can get away from the scumbag lawyers we elect to run our Country......one can only hope !

As for the video....... tragic in the post treament of those and other responders, yes it is, but remember it is Jon Stewart and four 'card carrying' union members.............'Bombs Away Dream Babies' ..
[/QUOTE]

You may well be right. I have certainly been disappointed in the Dems that past few days, selling out on the tax cut for the super-rich issue. I would have preferred to have ALL the (crazy-a$$) Bush tax cuts expire rather than this unaffordable to people who least need it and will NOT be putting it bak into the economy.

And McConnell's actions have been simply shameful over the past two years, focusing EXCLUSIVELY on one-upsmanship and thwarting President Obama's attempts to reach out in a bi-partisan manner to the republicans. As far as I can see, not once did he put the American People ahead of rank partisan politics. I think McConnell in particular represent the worst of hack politicians.

Rich / Len,

I'm curious, do you guys think a 'legitimate Third party' could be an answer to this God-awfull mess ??

Rich / Len,

I'm curious, do you guys think a 'legitimate Third party' could be an answer to this God-awfull mess ??

Maybe. I'm certainly not averse to such.

Tough to do so -- the $$$$$$$ thing you know. Bloomberg probably would have the only real chance, IF he were to choose to run.

The very silly republicans could have gotten rid of Reid, 'cept they went and nominated some radical extremist to run against him. Plus, they were "betting against the house.":eek:

Term limits for all

There's one thing I would do if I had enough money to do it. I would devote the rest of my life to the following cause:

TERM LIMITS FOR ALL.

First brush. 12 years (2 terms) for Senators and 6 years (3 terms) for members of the House of Representatives.

The problem is that it would take a constitutional amendment, which of course means you would need 35(?) states to pass the proposal, which means that most voters would say (vote) that every other elected official sucks but not MY GUY OR GAL, which of course would impossible to accomplish in 35 states.

It may not eliminate the issue entirely but it sure would impact the good old boy network, the past prejudices, the pac money and, most of all, the problem of having to vote for something along party lines or because something is unpopular even though it is the right thing to do, because you are running for reelection.

What a simple concept.

GG

As for the video....... tragic in the post treament of those and other responders, yes it is, but remember it is Jon Stewart and four 'card carrying' union members.............'Bombs Away Dream Babies' ..
[/QUOTE]

Dave,

My old college advisor, the late Dr. Ludwig, used to tell me that we no longer vote for our candidates...we vote against. All of us would have to ask when is the last time we actually voted for a candidate, and not have to chose the lesser of two evils?

[/QUOTE]

Dave, I'm not sure I understand your sentiment here. Are you saying that that these four first responders, who each have cancer and can't get enough assistance, it is somehow all right because they are union members? Without unions what kinds of rights would any workers have? As for Jon Stewart, he is showing the truth. Slighting him or these first responders does not negate that.

Dave,

My old college advisor, the late Dr. Ludwig, used to tell me that we no longer vote for our candidates...we vote against. All of us would have to ask when is the last time we actually voted for a candidate, and not have to chose the lesser of two evils?[/QUOTE]

Actually, I voted for Obama, not against McCain. I just wish he would have been more headstrong and vocal against the naysayers and got more uncompromised bills past. Maybe he just couldn't believe that the Republican leadership would continue to put self interests ahead of what's right for all Americans.

Are you saying that that these four first responders, who each have cancer and can't get enough assistance, it is somehow all right because they are union members?

No, I'm merely trying to point out the whole system right now plain sucks. If I displayed a cynical side with respect to unions, well.....too bad, 'cause I generally speaking have little use for them. Yes I'm very aware of the Historical debate, afterall I am a railroader.

As for the four individuals on the vid....sad...yes it is.....as it was when I saw my buddys and relatives come back from 'Nam and every other Politically F'up war we ever fought in.

My grandmother used to tell me when I was a kid that I "was going to hell in a handbasket" , well at times I think this Counrty is going to join me !

Actually, I voted for Obama, not against McCain. I just wish he would have been more headstrong and vocal against the naysayers and got more uncompromised bills past. Maybe he just couldn't believe that the Republican leadership would continue to put self interests ahead of what's right for all Americans.

Same here. Oh how I wish that McCain had won the nomination in 2000 when he was running against Bush. Country would have been FAR better of with either McCain or Gore. How sad it was to watch McCain sell his soul to Bush in 2004 to help Bush get elected. And again in 2008 when the "powers that be denied McCain his right to choose his own running mate (he wanted Lieberman, I believe, but got stuck with Palin <Gag!>).

As a result, I voted FOR Obama. He should, however, taken a page from Ronald Reagan's playbook and gone on TV whenever there was a controversy with McConnell / Boehner. Exposure to their ridiculous positions would have stopped their opposition in its tracks, IMHO -- although I may be giving our citizens too much credit...:rolleyes:

Len,

Are you supporting the concept / legitimacy of "career" politicians such as McCain and others?

From my perspective, that is precisely the problem, which causes the disfunctionality we witness and have to endure all the time. They can do it because they can get away with it with little fear of retribution.

If term limits where in place, McCain, Boehner, and McConnell would have been long gone.

No loss as far as I'm concerned but that's another matter

GG.

Last edited:
Len,

Are you supporting the concept / legitimacy of "career" politicians such as McCain and others?

GG.

Not at all. My intent was to point out how awful Bush was for our Country -- and the World, for that matter. I guess it was more to the "lesser of two evils" situation previously addressed.

I think I might like an organization -- say, yours or mine -- to name names... Listing the best and worst elected officials. Funny (well, not really, its sad), but I can more readily get to a Top Ten List of Awful Officials as opposed to a Top Ten List of Terrific Elected Officials who actually care MORE about doing the right thing than their "Party."

My current Top Ten Bad Guys List would start with McConnell and Kyle -- both political hacks who are clearly only interested in "Party" and the "Politics of Destruction" than in being Statesmen.

BTW, I should add that we have a totally disgusting local Congressman who promised when hi initially ran for office that he would only serve two terms. He was just reelected for the 6th time! What a liar he turned out to be. Of course, he justifies all this by thinking that the "People" of his district would be unable to function without his "representation."

Regarding your 6th term Congressman and the absolute core of the problem, I couldn't have said it any better myself.

With term limits, there would be no "Top 10".

Gordon

No, I'm merely trying to point out the whole system right now plain sucks. If I displayed a cynical side with respect to unions, well.....too bad, 'cause I generally speaking have little use for them. Yes I'm very aware of the Historical debate, afterall I am a railroader.

As for the four individuals on the vid....sad...yes it is.....as it was when I saw my buddys and relatives come back from 'Nam and every other Politically F'up war we ever fought in.

My grandmother used to tell me when I was a kid that I "was going to hell in a handbasket" , well at times I think this Counrty is going to join me !

Thanks for the clarification. There are many times when I think this country is going to to "hell in a handbasket", also. I also would like to see term limitations, as mentioned by Gordon. I'd also like to see a reduction in lobbyists and graft, but don't expect that to happen in my lifetime.

Back