Fellas... you guys think we're in a recession?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sure picked a shining example, in the USPS, of a successfully run government agency. Afterall, what is the projected budget deficit that they are looking at for this year? Somewhere around 5 billion I think. Probably no waste in that agency at all.

If you did some research, you would learn that the USPS budget shortfalls are directly related to an epic decline in the use of mail over the past five years. Not due to any huge inefficiencies in the agency. I'm not saying that there is no waste there (since there is waste everywhere, including the private sector), but they are one of the more efficiently-run government agencies by far. And they have been self-supporting for their entire existence, which is more than you can say for most government agencies.

As for NASA's involvement in the computer mouse and jaws of life, I think the lack of any mention of them in the articles I posted is pretty clear evidence they had little involvement in either. But whatever. I don't disagree with your overall premise that NASA has helped come up with some useful technologies. I just disagree with the examples you gave.

Of course, Obama would never throw anyone under the bus when it becomes politically expedient......would he? The rev. Wright still has tire tracks crossing his back.

You mean like the tracks Bush and Cheney left across Scooter Libby's back?

How does one mispeak about something like that?

Right, because Generals never, ever mis-speak. :rolleyes:

If you did some research, you would learn that the USPS budget shortfalls are directly related to an epic decline in the use of mail over the past five years. Not due to any huge inefficiencies in the agency. I'm not saying that there is no waste there (since there is waste everywhere, including the private sector), but they are one of the more efficiently-run government agencies by far. And they have been self-supporting for their entire existence, which is more than you can say for most government agencies.

"I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems."..... Obama

Which in turn just raises more questions, like: What do we mean exactly by "efficient" use of the money supply and should efficiency, however it is defined, be the ultimate goal? Do we have a central government solely to provide a climate for private business to thrive in an efficient economy . . . or are there other important needs that we have for our government in complex civilization?

It may be helpful to think about it in terms of "optimal" use of resources. In my mind the question then becomes: does the government generally use resources more optimally than the private economy? If the answer is that government utilizes resources less optimally, then more resources should then be allocated to the private economy.

I take no offense from that. I am not easily put into a box. I have some beliefs that are very liberal, some that would be considered very conservative, and some that are downright libertarian.

I think you enjoy playing the contrarian... I recognize this because I enjoy it as well. :devil:

Actually, we should be very mindful of the history of Germany. It was, in part, the effects of the great depression that fueled some of the racial tensions in Germany that gave rise to the power of the Nazi party. Not unlike the current economic crisis is giving rise to the power of the Tea Party.

I agree the history of Germany is instructive, but I would emphasize the economic aspect, especially the Weimar Republic. It would posit that our economy is headed for a hyper-inflationary period after a sustained deflationary period. The de-leveraging that's still to come is going to be more ugly than this generation has ever seen.

Mind you, I am not saying all tea partiers are racists. Far from it. But there is no question that a formidable base of their support lies in angry whites who feel marginalized in the current economic, political, and racial climate.

You might consider that this is more a trick of statistics than anything else. Since whites represent the numerical advantage (let's call it 70-75% or so of the citizenry), statistically speaking it is not unexpected that this burgeoning political group is predominantly white.

You might consider that this is more a trick of statistics than anything else. Since whites represent the numerical advantage (let's call it 70-75% or so of the citizenry), statistically speaking it is not unexpected that this burgeoning political group is predominantly white.

Hmmm... Not too far off

U.S. Census Population projections:

2008 2050
Non-Hispanic whites 66% 46%
Hispanics (of any race) 15% 30%
African Americans 14% 15%
Asian Americans 5% 9%

Last edited:
"I mean, if you think about -- if you think about it, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine, right? No, they are. It's the Post Office that's always having problems."..... Obama

That was a completely boneheaded thing to say, and it wasn't even a good example for the point he was trying to make. Hey, I am not saying Obama doesn't make mistakes too. Wouldn't be human if he didn't. Here's the rub:

FedEx has announced it will cut its 2009 capital budget spending by 17% amid falling demand and gloomy predictions of the state of the US economy.

It would appear that Fedex's problems have mirrored the postal service with the downturn in the economy. But also you have to remember that Fedex and UPS only deliver packages to certain businesses and residences and mostly on weekdays. The USPS delivers mail to every address in the US six days a week. And the volume of mail people are sending has dropped precipitously over the past five years. Is it any surprise that USPS has a harder time making ends meet? Not to mention that UPS and FedEx actually pay the USPS to deliver many of their packages to rural addresses because it is cheaper and more efficient for them to do that than actually deliver those packages themselves. As always, things are more complicated than they at first seem. But I know it is easy to fall back on trite stereotypes: oh, they are a government agency so they must be wasteful and inefficient.

It may be helpful to think about it in terms of "optimal" use of resources. In my mind the question then becomes: does the government generally use resources more optimally than the private economy? If the answer is that government utilizes resources less optimally, then more resources should then be allocated to the private economy.

And again, that just begs the question: how do you define "optimal"? Optimal means "best." Best is totally subjective. What you consider an optimal use of money, I may consider is like throwing it in the garbage and vice versa. National Forest land containing old growth forest is a valuable resource. I consider preservation for recreational enjoyment an optimal use of that resource. Timber barons would consider clear-cutting the trees and selling the pulp to China an optimal use of that resource. Who defines which version of optimal is . . . well . . . optimal?

I think you enjoy playing the contrarian... I recognize this because I enjoy it as well. :devil:

Who, me? ;)

Honestly, I do enjoy a good debate. Particularly when I can learn something from it. But I generally just speak my feelings when a subject strikes my interest. I don't just take an opposite side for the sake of taking an opposite side. At least not most of the time.

I agree the history of Germany is instructive, but I would emphasize the economic aspect, especially the Weimar Republic. It would posit that our economy is headed for a hyper-inflationary period after a sustained deflationary period. The de-leveraging that's still to come is going to be more ugly than this generation has ever seen.

I don't really see a sustained deflationary period coming, but I am afraid you are correct that we are in for a hyper-inflationary period. I don't think the guys at the Fed have a clue what they are doing at this point. But then, I'm no economist and have no expertise to be making these types of predictions.

Honestly, it is not just the fact that they are predominantly white that I am talking about. It is more about the types of people that form large aspects of the base. I don't wish to get into a big discussion on it, but having grown up in the Deep South all my life and having witnessed enough of the classic racist rednecks and their antics, I have a pretty good feel for who those types of people are. I grew up in a town that had no blacks, because they were afraid to even drive through on their way somewhere else. The KKK handed out leaflets downtown every weekend.

I have seen enough at tea party rallies to get an idea of who forms a large part of their base and how their racial prejudices provide much of the fuel for their anger, particularly at the current president. Again, I am not trying to lump the whole movement in this bucket. But it is clear enough to me that there are a lot of racists using that movement as a vehicle to express their anger, and I think it is dangerous for the leaders of the movement to complacently ignore that aspect of it.

And again, that just begs the question: how do you define "optimal"? Optimal means "best." Best is totally subjective. What you consider an optimal use of money, I may consider is like throwing it in the garbage and vice versa. National Forest land containing old growth forest is a valuable resource. I consider preservation for recreational enjoyment an optimal use of that resource. Timber barons would consider clear-cutting the trees and selling the pulp to China an optimal use of that resource. Who defines which version of optimal is . . . well . . . optimal?

How would you propose we define "optimal" or "efficient" in terms of swinging this discussion back to its original theme: recession?

I don't believe optimal automatically equates to "best", exactly because that term implies subjectivity. Using your example, if an entity (whether private or public) were to use its allocation of money (resources) by merely destroying it, could that be considered "optimal" by any reasonable definition? I don't believe so. Further, "timber-barons" can't possibly (and don't) consider merely clear-cutting as an optimal strategy as it precludes the possibility of continuing to sell the product (a genuine renewable resource) over time. Accordingly, as much as they may wish to optimize sales today by clear-cutting, it's in their interests not to pursue that strategy.

For those that may not be aware, $100B of interest is being added to our national debt every 60 days- that's obscene. And as more debt is accumulated, the rate in which the debt grows naturally increases. There are only two possibilities for why this is: ineptitude on the part of our political leaders (both past and present) or it's being done on purpose- to destabilize our country economically to such an extent that it collapses in upon itself, ultimately succeeding in what cannot be be accomplished using sheer force alone. It should be clear that soon we shall enter an economic "event horizon" where no amount of economic activity or money printing will be able to prevent a real economic collapse. So, a few questions remain:

1. Can we get out of debt by creating more debt?

2. Is the utility of debt negative? (Or: could the money currently allocated for interest expense be better (more "optimally";)) spent?)

3. Should the public or private economy be tasked with job creation going forward?

4. What internal and external parties might have a vested interest in U.S. economic destabilization?

Whew! This is a long one . . .

How would you propose we define "optimal" or "efficient" in terms of swinging this discussion back to its original theme: recession?

I don't believe optimal automatically equates to "best", exactly because that term implies subjectivity.

I prefer to use words as they are already defined. I equated it to "best" because that is one of the quick definitions of optimal that I pulled up. Here is another:

optimum, optimal (most desirable possible under a restriction expressed or implied) "an optimum return on capital"

Gee, "most desirable" sounds pretty subjective too. In fact, every definition I can find for optimum or optimal has a subjective component to it. So maybe we better go back to your original term, and just use the definition economists use for it:

Efficiency, when used in an economic sense, generally refers to using resources in such a way as to maximize the production of goods and services.

So let's get back to your original question that brought this up and its follow up:

The question is, what "entity" is more efficient in the use of the money supply? . . . In my mind the question then becomes: does the government generally use resources more optimally [efficiently] than the private economy?

I think that the pat answer to those questions is that a private market economy is going to be more efficient in its use of resources than a government-controlled economy. But, I also think that the question presumes that economic efficiency is all we care about and that it trumps all else. This gets back to my question about what is the purpose of a central government? If all we want our government to do is to provide for conditions that allow private enterprise to do whatever it wants in order to keep the economy as efficient as possible, then your questions are pertinent.

But it has been shown time and again that most people want more from their government than that. Most people want some equity to be enforced in the distribution of resources, so that some can't hoard them all from others. Most people seem to want government to ensure that public works projects are completed (things like museums, parks, baseball stadiums, roads and bridges, etc.) for the benefit of all to use. Most people want to be protected from private industry poisoning us in their drive to become more "efficient." Cadmium and lead in your children's play toys anyone? Crude oil in your seafood? I didn't think so.

To try to have a debate on the theory of market economics as it relates to our system of government without acknowledging that government is tasked with a lot more than just making sure we use our resources efficiently is just that: a bunch of theory with little practical application to our real problems.

Using your example, if an entity (whether private or public) were to use its allocation of money (resources) by merely destroying it, could that be considered "optimal" by any reasonable definition? I don't believe so. Further, "timber-barons" can't possibly (and don't) consider merely clear-cutting as an optimal strategy as it precludes the possibility of continuing to sell the product (a genuine renewable resource) over time.

I would suggest you do a little more research in this area before making such a blatantly false suggestion. You might start by going to the Pacific Northwest and trying to find all the Old Growth Forest. There is scant little left, so you will have to look hard. Almost none of it exists on private lands, so you can confine your search to government lands, but even there it is tough to find. But finding the clear cuts are easy. Go up to the top of Mt. Hood and look around. You will see a patchwork of clearcut forests as far as the eye can see.

Timber barons have been clear-cutting old growth forests in this country for the past couple of hundred years, and continue to do so today. A little background. Old Growth Forest is really a term of art, referring to a specific type of forest that grows naturally and takes anywhere from 500 to 1000 years to mature. It is typified by certain ecosystems that develop within this mature forest structure. These ecosystems provide much enjoyment for people who like to hike in and camp in these forests, and observe the beauty and unique plant and animal life that grows there. But this is not an economically-efficient use of this resource.

Timber companies prefer old growth trees because they make better pulp wood for paper production than newer growth trees (i.e. trees that are less than a hundred or two years old). They routinely clear cut these forests and yes, they do sometimes even plant back some trees. But they have removed the natural fertilizer for the generally poor soils in these forests, they plant the trees in orderly rows, all the same age, and . . . well, you no longer have a natural forest. It can no longer support the ecosystems it once did. It no longer has the same natural beauty. It will take another 500 or more years for the natural forest to regenerate itself. But it won't, because every fifty to seventy-five years or so the timber companies will clear cut it again, not willing to wait for the trees to get any larger before they harvest their resource.

So you see . . . if all you want is an efficient use of resources, then all the old growth forests in the world should be clear cut so we can turn them into useful pulp for paper. That is the most "economically efficient" use of that resource.

But if you give a damn about beauty, ecology, and the importance of natural ecosystems as a carbon sink, water filter, and oxygen producer, then you think that maybe economic efficiency isn't the sole purpose of government. Maybe government should also try to protect some natural resources from being efficiently destroyed just so that we can have another sheet of paper to write on and then throw into the trash. Just maybe.

Accordingly, as much as they may wish to optimize sales today by clear-cutting, it's in their interests not to pursue that strategy.

You see, the problem with that thought is that economic efficiency in the private sector tends to be controlled by a very short-term view. When a resource can't be adequately renewed for hundreds or thousands or millions of years, market economics ignores that problem and just tries to use up all the resource it is allowed to get its hands on before someone else does. Look at how we are handling our oil resources on this planet for a prime example of that. Drill, baby, drill! This is the problem when you try to apply abstract theories to real-world situations: you ignore the human element (i.e.: greed).

For those that may not be aware, $100B of interest is being added to our national debt every 60 days- that's obscene.

Our Gross Domestic Product is in the range of $14 Trillion. That's obscene! Why do we need to make and sell so much stuff, much of which is disposable crap or useless services anyway? Big numbers have lots of dramatic impact, but taken out of context they are pretty meaningless.

By the way, much of that debt is public debt and the interest payments on that find their way back into the economy. Lots of people own U.S. treasuries and live off the interest, so that money is going right back into the economy, either sooner or later. It is just a little too simplistic to say: all debt = bad. I will agree though that some fiscal responsibility is necessary to avoid economic collapse, and I will agree that we are in need of such in this country. But I don't see it as full of doom and gloom as you seem to.

There are only two possibilities for why this is: ineptitude on the part of our political leaders (both past and present) or it's being done on purpose- to destabilize our country economically to such an extent that it collapses in upon itself, ultimately succeeding in what cannot be be accomplished using sheer force alone.

I'm not much for wild conspiracy theories of which there is little proof, so I'll go with option number one. Political leaders have shown ineptitude throughout the history of civilization. Why should we expect things to be any different today? Leaders of private industry show plenty of ineptitude themselves, which is why businesses go bankrupt all the time. Just look at the mistakes BP executives made which has cost them billions of dollars of monetary resources. Just because of a couple of bad management decisions trying to cut corners in order to maximize their efficiency. So again, I don't think strict market economics is the holy grail you seem to think it is.

So, a few questions remain:

1. Can we get out of debt by creating more debt?

I think what you really mean by this is: Can we get out of debt over the long term in spite of creating more debt in the short term? I think the answer is yes, we can. Not that we necessarily will, but we certainly can.

2. Is the utility of debt negative? (Or: could the money currently allocated for interest expense be better (more "optimally";)) spent?)

You try to predict a particular answer by the way you phrase the question. Could interest be more efficiently used elsewhere? Perhaps, in some people's eyes. But that ignores the utility of using debt to leverage resources you currently have in order to get what you want but can't completely afford right now. Could you better use the mortgage interest on your house loan than by giving it to the banks? Sure, but then you might not be able to afford a house in the first place without taking on that debt.

Under your theory, no one should own a house unless they can afford to pay for it outright, as to do anything else is not the most efficient use of their resources. And as I keep saying, the world does not live by economic efficiency alone.

3. Should the public or private economy be tasked with job creation going forward?

Why does it have to be one to the exclusion of the other?

4. What internal and external parties might have a vested interest in U.S. economic destabilization?

You'll have to answer that one yourself. As I said, I'm not much for wild conspiracy theories. But I suppose the Pope could be behind it all.

One more aside. Many of those who support reducing government debt hand-in-hand with the concept of limited government tend to fall back on the founder's wishes as some higher justification for those views (just see the ads of my favorite local tea party candidate, Rick Barber, for an over-the-top example of that). But the newsflash is that this country was FOUNDED on debt:

"Debts incurred during the American Revolutionary War and under the Articles of Confederation led to the first yearly reported value of $75,463,476.52 on January 1, 1791. Over the following 45 years, the debt grew, briefly contracted to zero on January 8, 1835 under President Andrew Jackson but then quickly grew into the millions again."
Source

Food for thought.

Rich, some thoughts:

To try to have a debate on the theory of market economics as it relates to our system of government without acknowledging that government is tasked with a lot more than just making sure we use our resources efficiently is just that: a bunch of theory with little practical application to our real problems.

I have not suggested that our government is tasked with nothing other than an "efficient" use of resources (economic of otherwise). But, in order to begin to determine practical application to "our real problems", I maintain that we need to understand what option paths are available.

But finding the clear cuts are easy. Go up to the top of Mt. Hood and look around. You will see a patchwork of clearcut forests as far as the eye can see.

I can't defend this anecdotal evidence, but since 1900, forest area in the U.S. has "remained statistically 745 million acres +/- 5%" according to the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program of the U.S. Forest Service.

http://www.fia.fs.fed.us/slides/major-trends.pdf

But if you give a damn about beauty, ecology, and the importance of natural ecosystems as a carbon sink, water filter, and oxygen producer, then you think that maybe economic efficiency isn't the sole purpose of government.

Rich, again I never stated (nor meant to suggest) that "economic efficiency" is the "sole purpose of government". I only asked whether the private or public economy was more efficient at utilizing resources, however you wish to define them. Ultimately, my point is that until we answer this, we (as a society) can't allocate the appropriate resources to the right places.

Look at how we are handling our oil resources on this planet for a prime example of that. Drill, baby, drill! This is the problem when you try to apply abstract theories to real-world situations: you ignore the human element (i.e.: greed).

With the greatest respect, this argument seems to preclude the reality of public servant greed.

Our Gross Domestic Product is in the range of $14 Trillion. That's obscene! Why do we need to make and sell so much stuff, much of which is disposable crap or useless services anyway? Big numbers have lots of dramatic impact, but taken out of context they are pretty meaningless.

The GDP, as a measure of economic activity, is not a very accurate measure since it specifically includes public/government spending- it is not a measure of the private economy alone. So, I'm not sure what you're suggesting since government spending represents about 40% of GDP.

By the way, much of that debt is public debt and the interest payments on that find their way back into the economy. Lots of people own U.S. treasuries and live off the interest, so that money is going right back into the economy, either sooner or later. It is just a little too simplistic to say: all debt = bad. I will agree though that some fiscal responsibility is necessary to avoid economic collapse, and I will agree that we are in need of such in this country. But I don't see it as full of doom and gloom as you seem to.

Fair enough, we can see the issue with different intensity... The largest owner of the debt is the Federal Reserve and its member banks.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/29880401/The_Biggest_Holders_of_US_Government_Debt?slide=16

Problem is, the Fed is not a government agency and is not a subject of a "conspiracy theory". In Lewis v. United States, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit stated: "Examining the organization and function of the Federal Reserve Banks, and applying the relevant factors, we conclude that the Reserve Banks are not federal instrumentalities for purposes of the FTCA, but are independent, privately owned and locally controlled corporations."

http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/680/680.F2d.1239.80-5905.html (Paragraph 5)

One more aside. Many of those who support reducing government debt hand-in-hand with the concept of limited government tend to fall back on the founder's wishes as some higher justification for those views....

I have not supported the concept of limited government in this thread, nor used the alleged wishes of the country's founders as "justification" for my purported positions.

Rich, I would normally assume that most would generally concur that economic activity (and employment) are fundamentally desired, but given your commentary relating to the GDP above, I'm not necessarily sure you would agree (as employment has the normal effect of increasing GDP).

In case I've misunderstood your point, let me rephrase: Is it generally preferable that future economic activity be driven more by private or public employment?

I can't defend this anecdotal evidence, but since 1900, forest area in the U.S. has "remained statistically 745 million acres +/- 5%" according to the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program of the U.S. Forest Service.

You misunderstand the term "Old Growth Forest." Please check the link and learn about it a little so you will understand my point. In particular, check out the charts that show how much we have lost in this country from 1920 until today. Replanted forest areas that are harvested every 75 years or so (which is what most of our National Forests are today) are simply not the same thing as an Old Growth Forest. The latter contains unique habitats, ecosystems, organisms, microclimates, and ecological functions, the former is kind of like a big corn field but with trees.

Rich, again I never stated (nor meant to suggest) that "economic efficiency" is the "sole purpose of government". I only asked whether the private or public economy was more efficient at utilizing resources, however you wish to define them. Ultimately, my point is that until we answer this, we (as a society) can't allocate the appropriate resources to the right places.

Why not? I mean, really. We may not appropriate them in the most efficient manner according to economic theory, but why would you say that without knowing this answer we cannot allocate the "appropriate" resources to the "right" places? (quotation marks used to indicate subjectivity of the terms). Why is it so important for resource utilization to reach a theoretical maximum efficiency? And why does it have to be public only or private only, and not some mixture of both?

With the greatest respect, this argument seems to preclude the reality of public servant greed.

Not at all. It completely encompasses it. That is really the basis of my argument. That our problems have less to do with which economic model we follow or how well we follow it, and more to do with our inability to overcome the impacts of basic human instincts like greed and ego.

The GDP, as a measure of economic activity, is not a very accurate measure since it specifically includes public/government spending- it is not a measure of the private economy alone. So, I'm not sure what you're suggesting since government spending represents about 40% of GDP.

Well, first of all, I was really just trying to use a little sarcasm to make a point. Big numbers are always scary when taken out of context. See how quickly you tried to add some context to my number? So just throwing out the interest payment and saying that its obscene without a lot of context doesn't do much to further the debate, in my opinion. That was the point I was trying to make. Sorry if it confused you.

But since you brought it up: why should government spending not count in measuring GDP? If the government buys or sells a good or service, why should that not count in overall GDP? Why does that suddenly make the number an inaccurate measure of output? I mean if a private company builds and sells a fighter jet, and then the government builds and sells a rocket ship, what's the difference in terms of economic output of the country?

Fair enough, we can see the issue with different intensity... The largest owner of the debt is the Federal Reserve and its member banks.

Problem is, the Fed is not a government agency and is not a subject of a "conspiracy theory". In Lewis v. United States, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit stated: "Examining the organization and function of the Federal Reserve Banks, and applying the relevant factors, we conclude that the Reserve Banks are not federal instrumentalities for purposes of the FTCA, but are independent, privately owned and locally controlled corporations."

The Fed is an independent agency within our government, whose board of governors is appointed by the President. It is a quasi-public / quasi-private entity, containing aspects of each. It was created by law and is subject to the rule of law. And it has run our banking system pretty well over the last hundred years or so. So what is the problem with that? What is wrong with our own central banking system holding the majority of our debt? You imply some great conspiracy is afoot to topple our government, but you provide scant proof of it.

I have not supported the concept of limited government in this thread, nor used the alleged wishes of the country's founders as "justification" for my purported positions.

I wasn't insinuating those were your positions. That is why I said that was an aside, meaning a digression. Something I wanted to add that was slightly off-topic and not specifically directed to you. Sorry about the confusion.

Rich, I would normally assume that most would generally concur that economic activity (and employment) are fundamentally desired, but given your commentary relating to the GDP above, I'm not necessarily sure you would agree (as employment has the normal effect of increasing GDP).

I would concur that economic activity and employment are fundamentally desired (among many other things, of course). As I said above, my GDP comment was made in the vein of sarcasm.

In case I've misunderstood your point, let me rephrase: Is it generally preferable that future economic activity be driven more by private or public employment?

Generally preferable by who? By me? By some economist? By a CEO? By a teacher? By a postal worker? Everyone may have a different perspective based on their background and where their bread is buttered.

Personally, I don't see the problem with it being a mixture of both. It has been a mixture of both since this country was founded, has it not? Right now you say we are about 60% private / 40% public according to the GDP breakdown, and yet we still have one of the strongest economies in the world (with a GDP that is almost three times that of our next nearest competitor), one of the highest standards of living in the world, and some of the greatest individual freedoms in the world. So please explain to me again what the problem is?

Rich, thanks for an enjoyable exchange. We sure do live in "interesting times".

I love a good civil debate.

I want to commend both Rich and mcmd for the level of dialog here. I feel like I've learned something from the exchange of ideas. My personal thanks to both of you.

Thanks to you as well, mcmd. I enjoyed the discussion.

And thanks, Tim, for the kudos. Hopefully we showed that you can have a debate on contentious issues without resulting to personal insults or feeling like you have to convince the other person to agree with your views. I think we can all learn and benefit from discussions like this.

A little perspective . . .

One of the valid points mcmd makes above is how much the astronomical size of the current budget deficit hurts us in terms of resources wasted just paying interest on the debt. Repman earlier stated that both parties are responsible for our current problems and that in fact the democrats were "most" responsible.

While I will not argue that the democrats have made mistakes in the past that have contributed to our problems, I think conservatives often (perhaps intentionally) lose sight of the fact that we had a balanced budget when Bush took over. The following chart is illustrative of the real and lasting impact Bush's policies have had on our budget, and therefore, our economy and our future. Please remember the realities of this chart when you try to argue that democrat's entitlement programs are mortgaging our children's future.

chart-of-the-day-bush-policies-deficits-june-2010.gif

If we are looking for blame there is enough to go around on both political parties however the main culprit is the Clinton administration who under Alan Greenspan , Robert Rubin, and Larry Summers allowed the unregulated proliferation of derivatives. Brooksley Born warned of the negative impact she saw coming from them and was hushed by Greenspan and the Clinton administration.These were allowed to go unchecked for almost 10 years thru the Clinton and Bush adminstration until we are we we are now.
I think both the Dems and the Republicans share the blame for this mess we are in. If you doubt what I am saying watch the documentary "Frontline the Warning" it is on Netflix instant viewing or DVD you will see the history of this mess from a unbiased nonpartisan viewpoint, Not talking points from partisans.

I said the main culprit was the Clinton administration because it was under his WATCH. Warnings were given of a potential serious financial collapse in the making and of course Brooksley Born was correct. We now see the result a housing and banking meltdown.
Maybe President Clinton was preocuppied dishonoring his office,his wife,his children and his country with an intern and really had no time to deal with this small matter

The budget deficit is another matter and I was not referring to it as Richs chart and words might imply.

I encourage everyone to watch the documentary I listed above.

As I said there is enough blame to go around and both parties share in the mess I was just pointing out the catalyst.

Last edited:
I said the main culprit was the Clinton administration because it was under his WATCH warnings were given of a potential serious financial collapse in the making and of course Brooksley Born was correct. We now see the result a housing and banking meltdown.
Maybe President Clinton was preocuppied dishonoring his office,his wife,his children and his country with an intern and really had no time to deal with this small matter

The budget deficit is another matter and I was not referring to it as Richs chart and words might imply.

I encourage everyone to watch the documentary I listed above.

As I said there is enough blame to go around and both parties share in the mess I was just pointing out the catalyst.

Dude! You need to take a deep breath, have a couple of beers and chill out about your crazy hatred for president Clinton.:eek:

'Sides, sounds to me that by your accounting that Shrub had EIGHT YEARS to take action to prevent the meltdown, and he did...well, not much, as it ACTUALLY OCCURRED ON HIS WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeze!!!! You sure have a funny way of trying to re-write history -- so typical of the Bushies. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dude! You need to take a deep breath, have a couple of beers and chill out about your crazy hatred for president Clinton.:eek:

'Sides, sounds to me that by your accounting that Shrub had EIGHT YEARS to take action to prevent the meltdown, and he did...well, not much, as it ACTUALLY OCCURRED ON HIS WATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geeze!!!! You sure have funny way of trying to re-write history -- so typical of the Bushies. :rolleyes:

I actually voted for Clinton the second time so you're wrong again.

I did'nt hate him as you suggest I did however lose respect for him over his lack of discipline

Repman,

I will give you that Clinton listened to Greenspan, Rubin, and Summers (who were financial industry heavyweights) over Born (who was simply an attorney) in disallowing the CTFC from regulating the derivatives market. But I will add that this was toward the end of his second term when he was fighting to get things done against a resistive republican congress, and a full ten years before the derivatives market meltdown. Honestly, even if he had listened to Born over her much more experienced peers, and tried to regulate derivatives, the republican congress would have eaten his lunch over it (like they did over everything he proposed -- like they are doing over everything Obama proposes). And then Bush likely would have just reversed the course like he did with all Clinton's environmental regulations.

Republicans had the majorities of Congress for most of most of Clinton's two terms and most of Bush's two terms, and could easily have passed legislation regulating the derivatives market if they thought it was an issue. Bush could have had the CTFC regulate them as easily as Clinton could have, but made no efforts to. So for you to try to pin most of the blame on Clinton is quite disingenuous.

Quite honestly, without Bush's tax cuts and wars, it is possible that our economy and fiscal state would have been strong enough that the meltdown in the housing and derivatives markets could have felt like small bump in the road. We would have had plenty of "stimulus money" to go around without having to run up massive deficits.

Look at that chart. Bush's tax cuts to the rich make up nearly half of our deficit! Weren't those tax cuts sold to us on the premise that they would spur economic growth? And yet all we had under Bush was a recession, followed by another recession, which turned into more like a depression. Between the wars and the tax cuts, our deficits ballooned out to uncontrollable proportions, while our economy sagged and then imploded.

And the republicans in Congress today have managed to water down and render ineffective any real reform of the financial markets (just as they managed to water down the health care bill) so we will probably see another meltdown like this in the future.

But you go on believing it is all Clinton's fault for failing to listen to a lawyer with little financial background over some of the foremost financial gurus of the time.

No you missed it again , what I am saying is that both parties are to blame!

I think I proved my point that President Clinton and Bush both share responsibility while others just seem to point out its all President Bush's fault

You seem like a smart guy its not that hard to grasp and far from disingenuous.

Back